Dug's Gallery. NEW! Dec.10 Marabou Stork Nightmare. P.1.

dug

delpart:Thank you for taking the time for a wee visit and posting nice, honest comments.Much appreciated.

Helen:I just love how you describe my work,I get a thrill every time I read your comments.

BBQ:I am glad you liked Bare Bones.I am doing a lot of B/W photography just now and hoping to combine it with PdN.

Welshy:I was thinking Talking Heads when I did Road to Nowhere.A smile for me is a great reaction,I need humour sometimes to make a piece work,I usually start out with quite a serious message in mind.Best laid plans.

Aislin:Thank you for the wee visit.I think your old and new idea is a good one.Hope to find time to submit something soon. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really digging your work, particularly the photo manips. I think my favorite conceptually are the clone pictures. Clone II is masterfully done and I like how whimsical it is. The first Clone pic is great, too. The only suggestion I would make there is to add a little soft shadow beneath the left knee of the one sitting on the floor, as well as the foot of the one on the right side of the couch. I love the concept and I'm inspired to do one of my own!

All in all, I love the surrealist nature of your work. You've got a great style, Dug. Keep 'em coming. I look forward to seeing more.

Cheers RedBeard for the wee visit and encouraging comments.The clone photo-manips were the first pieces I did with PdN.Being a photographer for some 40 years and finally moving to digital I had to learn how to enhance and manipulate my work.I've also painted in oils for years but never touch a brush since I discovered PdN.This also being my first computer it's been one huge learning curve for me.I've been like a kid in a toy shop.Just love this software.I was going to mention the brilliant cloning tute but I see you have found it and created a very fine piece already.Nice one.

Spill, Strange Fruit and Painted Bird are quite impressive. I'm particularly fond of your attention to detail, namely the rim stain on the cup in Spill. And your use of color in the other two is absolutely delightful. I'm guessing these were rendered completely in PDN, in which case they're even more impressive. I have a hard time "drawing" in PDN. Most times I end up drawing on paper and then scanning and manipulating in PDN, so to see something drawn from start to finish using the program is quite impressive to me.

Country living is another fine example of your surrealist sensibilities. Actually, my house feels like that sometimes!

@RB: Stop ordering that pizza with extra shrooms ... :mrgreen: Though a good outdoor living space can be nice.

Wonderful new ones Dug. Thankls for the background info on your experience. It helps to know where your eye is coming from. All the "about the artist" things people ignore are really important. One of my favorite sculptresses was blind ... Not amazing work by most people's standards, but it spoke to me in a gallery in La Jolla I would stop in at.

Country living really works for me. I pine (puns intended) for the woods inside an awful lot. Like most modern people I want my creature comforts but I definitely like being "outside" ... All those extra elements and layers really work out to make a solid impression.

The spill scene is great. The handle could be blended a little differently as it I kept staring at it, but the rest of the composition is just perfect in blur and tone to get that soft light café on the sidewalk feel.

The bird is a great show of your drawing skills progressing with PDN. The eye etc help add a focal point for the image.

The strange fruit background I'm torn on. The fruit doesn't have the same edges so I found myself looking at the background. This just could be me and how I get drawn into those things (oops, no pun intended). Or maybe it was just my inner urges to line up the panels. :mrgreen: Stronger shadow relief or something might help with that blend more.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Curse my busy life! I hadn't checked your gallery in a bit, but WOW you really got a great style of artwork. (I will have to check your page more often)

Can't wait for more.

Sig Battle Wins: 5
DigitalTypographyNightvision.gif
My Gallery
| Smoke>Flames Tutorial

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 4% who will

Your style is just amazing. The coffee mug is so cool--the ring left from the coffee inside the mug is such a clever idea! The strange fruit reminds me of the Durian fruit--it's actually pretty good if prepared correctly. "Country Living" is awesome. It's like the inside of a house, but at the same time it is like outside. The bird looks like it can be from the jungle. Maybe it's a rare species even...

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

Thanks to you all for the wee visit.

@ BBQ. Iam glad you had a feast.

@ RedBeard: Spill,Strange Fruit and Painted Bird all-100% PdN.Country Living was a bit of a mixed bag.The trees are brushes,some I made and some I downloaded.Normally I sketch and scan,but getting better with the pencil tool the more I practice.

@ delpart: Cheers for taking the time,I agree with you on the background info,a brief history nothing too personal,an insight to where the person is coming from.Can't do any harm.

@ Welshy:Strange Fruit-Thinking about the Stone Roses getting back together while listening to Siouxsie and the Banshees was how this was created. ;)

@ NinjaManDan21: No sweat,I know what it's like in the fight against time.Thanks for taking the time for a wee visit.

@ HELEN: Thanks,your comments always make me feel so proud.I will get round to Googling the Durian fruit. :)

Spill is pretty good all things considered. The cup handle seemed mis-aligned and the spoon seems off kilter too. But overall, nice piece. The "spill" itself spelling out "DUG" was a cool thought too. I didn't notice it at first, only after I was sitting there absorbing the pic in my melon that I took note of it. Again, nice job.

Dug, I love the Danko image. It really made me smile & the shapes in the grass are just so good. Spaceship Orion is very cool - great song too. I like the background in Lost Planet & the colour is just my cup of tea. The way the spark shoots across the shape is super. Rapture has a lot of things going on bit I love the spikes with the smooth parts. Lovely works all of them!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

What is a C4D?

I really like the Spaceship Orion picture the best,but all are real good. ;)

@SB: Cinema 4D by Maxon ... It's animation/3D software that can produce some pretty interesting chaos math in solids. Similar to fractal flames but with its own "signature" of sorts. Do a google image search on just c4d and you'll see the base texture ideas that have been used here.

@DUG: Nice adaptations from the c4d into something a little less chaotic ... Though your impressions could hardly be considered lacking in chaos on other levels. :mrgreen: Rust never sleeps is almost spooky. The signature of nature eating our refuse etc.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

@ BBQ. Danko is one of my better "Grankids Challenges".I used to use pencil and paper when they said "I bet you can't draw...." and they would come up with some amazing subjects. Now I entertain them with PdN.

@ Skullbonz:I hope delpart's info was ok for you.I can only get time at weekends for posting replies.Thank you for taking the time.I think you will enjoy playing around with C4Ds.

@ delpart: Cheers for that quick response to Skullbonz query,much appreciated.I like to play with C4Ds as a bit of light relief, sometimes produces inspiration for my next work.

@ Helen: Yet again such nice comments,thank you.

@ matt0815: Thank you so much for taking the time.Appreciated.

@ yellowman: Thank you for the visit and cool comment.I have been having a terrible time with Photobucket recently,it just keeps freezing up on me and making me have to shut down.I don't know enough about computers to say that this is the problem or if it is something else.I have noticed my gallery getting slower,I just thought I had too much stuff in it.Puzzeled.

Dug, I love the Blue Genes one. I love the bricks - remind me of Hundertwasser's buildings. The bottles on the shelves are very good. A great touch too with the magnifying glass. Very quirky & adorable!

Steve & BB Shepherd are great. One so colourful & the other black & white - very dramatic.

The church mouse - what a fantastic background! The mouse is running away - what made it run? Very nice image!

Always such a treat to come & see your new works.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

The BlueGenesAndMoonBeams, is absolutely amazing, I like the the concept and subject, you have arranged everything very well in it, the light and shadows especially on the floor, the textures are so great, too.

the brown knot, lol that is one things I am struggling with to create for a long time, not just in PDN but in every 3D graphics that I am using, please tell me that you have created it in PDN. Well done Dug, I am still a huge fan of your style.

BTW, I just open your gallery, and figured out my problem of downloading it, it is because of using the forum [Thumb] code, in my opinion, the thumbnail code generated by PB is much recommended, and it is good also if any changes happened to this forum in the future, they stay viewable.