Paint.NET v3.5.6 is now available!

Rick Brewster

As usual, you can either use the built-in updater from the Utilities menu, or you can download and install directly from the website: http://www.getpaint.net/ . There's no need to worry about removing the old version; that is all handled automatically.

This update fixes several issues related to copy-paste, improves performance and quality for a few adjustments, and fixes a data loss bug.

• When pasting an image, Paint.NET will be smarter about ensuring it is placed within the area that has been scrolled/zoomed to.
  • Improved the performance and quality of the Curves and Hue/Saturation adjustments.
  • Some minor improvements to memory usage, which should help out a few scenarios on 32-bit systems.
  • Fixed: If a JPEG was loaded that had an embedded ICC profile, and was then saved as an 8-bit or 24-bit PNG, then the resulting file would be corrupt (32-bit PNG worked fine though).
  • Fixed: 16-bit TGAs no longer load with the red and blue channels swapped.
  • Fixed: Copy-paste from a Remote Desktop session will no longer be 'shifted' by 3 pixels.
  • Fixed: Copy-paste from Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Chrome should preserve alpha/transparency.
  • Fixed: Copying from Paint.NET and pasting into Windows Live Writer should now work.
  • Fixed: Taking a full-screen screenshot with Print Screen on a multimonitor system, where those monitors don't form a simple rectangle, will now fill the 'gap area' with transparent instead of black. (Example: two monitors of the same size, one of which is rotated by 90 degrees)
  • Fixed: If Paint.NET is opened without specifying an image to open, and then the default image is modified and saved, then Paint.NET will no longer close it upon opening another one. This was causing data loss if that default image had layers, and was then saved in a format that did not support layers (anything other than .PDN).
  • Fixed: Some systems were showing 'red X' thumbnails for .PDN files in Windows Explorer, instead of the real thumbnail.
  • Fixed: The EXIF "Creation Software" saved along with images is no longer localized. This prevents certain languages from seeing "Paint.NET ????? v3.5.6" in the image properties (metadata).

Hopefully these fixes should make the wait for 4.0 easier to bare :)

:star: Also, as a bonus feature which is a corollary to how I’m now handling copy-paste from Internet Explorer: if you “copy” an image from Windows Explorer, you can paste it straight into Paint.NET. For example, right click on some stray image you’ve left on your desktop (c’mon we all have a cluttered desktop). Next, paste into Paint.NET. Pretty cool, maybe even useful.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

A thousand thanks and more...

EDIT:

Using the built-in Updater, on Windows Vista 32-bit SP2. No error log or anything to post. Just the dialogue box with:

"There was an error while installing Paint.NET. (1603)"

"Fatal error during installation."

Will now try the download and installation way and I'll let you know.

Edited by Djisves

Xkds4Lh.png

2m35lds.png

Dowload and custom install worked like a charm.

Again, thank you for your troubles, time, effort and grey matter you put into this wonderful piece of software.

Xkds4Lh.png

Downloaded and installed without a prob. Thanks Rick. ;)

Billynair, click on Utilities > Check for updates then follow the prompts. ;)

Edited by Goonfella

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

http://www.getpaint.net/download.html is showing 3.5.5 updated april 25, 2010, same with http://www.getpaint.net/ and I dont know where to find the built-in updater...

Works fine here. Press Refresh or clear your cache or something.

And like it says above,

As usual, you can either use the built-in updater from the Utilities menu ...

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Well if I knew how to delete the recycle bin & My Bluetooth Places, mine would look like that too.

Clutter - hate it.

Thanks Rick for the new release. Works a treat!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Thanks for the update Rick. ;)

Regarding desktops, I'll try to post a screenshot of my own when I get home (on a school computer now). Like literally, I have the icon size set to small and there's about 15 open spaces. :P

Space...The Final Frontier. -James Tiberius Kirk; circa 2260s

YLOD VICTIM

I was offered the update, which I accepted. Downloaded without a problem...but, on opening it after downloading I found it very laggy and unresponsive, taking several attempts to open drop downs etc.

It crashed with an unhandled exception after I had saved my picture.. but didn't save, and then was unresponsive even to closing down.

I'm on a laptop using vista, in case that's of any use to you. How do I roll back to the previous version?

Fee

caliandris,

In the Paint.NET program folder, try running PdnRepair.exe

"C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PdnRepair.exe"

Thank you! That certainly seems to have brought things back to normal :-).

Thank you Rick for the update, some nice fixes and updates.

I love this program.

The problem with the tools list showing as blank if you "open file with paint.net" from the explorer context menu, is still their though.

Edited by Darkmiss

I was offered the update, which I accepted. Downloaded without a problem...but, on opening it after downloading I found it very laggy and unresponsive, taking several attempts to open drop downs etc.

It crashed with an unhandled exception after I had saved my picture.. but didn't save, and then was unresponsive even to closing down.

I'm on a laptop using vista, in case that's of any use to you. How do I roll back to the previous version?

Fee

caliandris,

In the Paint.NET program folder, try running PdnRepair.exe

"C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PdnRepair.exe"

I'm having the same problems. I uploaded the new version and it keeps crashing on me whenever I try to do anything with it. It keeps saying that the program is not responding and it just freezes. I've already tried the PdnRepair.exe thing and it's still acting the same way. Does anyone know what I can possibly do to get the old version back? It never did this.... boltbait.sad.png

~~~~~~

Moved to troubleshooting folder please post replies there... Please and thank you! :)

Edited by MirithKailyn

I'm having the same problems. I uploaded the new version and it keeps crashing on me whenever I try to do anything with it. It keeps saying that the program is not responding and it just freezes. I've already tried the PdnRepair.exe thing and it's still acting the same way. Does anyone know what I can possibly do to get the old version back? It never did this.... :(

MirithKailyn, please post in the Troubleshooting section. Thanks.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Hello

I have one req from rick.docking windows (Tools; History; colors; Layers) to edge of monitor or paint.Net so when move mouse to edge of monitor or paint.net ; windows (Tools; History; colors; Layers) appears and when move mouse to canvas it hide. Or you can add shortcut key to hide

And unhide windows. but first way better.so we can see full canvas very fast

And please add Persian translation in orginall setup file

And please send help file to me for translation or if you can for online translation

Also see this picture this text nothing in strings.resx for translation

2O481.png

Rick,

Thanks for the update, hadn't used PDN for a while then needed to do something today and got offered the update, whilst it was loading I whizzed over here to find out if you'd picked up on a bug I raised about images pasted from remote desktop sessions was fixed and was thrilled to find you had. Brilliant work thanks very much, that was my only gripe with PDN and now it's gone.

Siv

Martley, Near Worcester UK.

Hello rick

can you add support for font in attachment

this problem always in Photoshop for arbic and farsi font

this is just some exaple font

this is very important please.so evrey one switch to paint dot net

fa_font.zip