Paint.NET is getting noticed!

barkbark00

Argh I must have mangled my install then because mine is in Object ... Which makes sense to me for all that. I can only apply it to something I would consider to be an object and not an entire image or layer pass like the stylize plugins do ... **EDIT: With the noted exception of blending a drop shadow on a layer with some transparency involved of course.

Meh, I guess I get to figure out why its in the wrong place, but to be honest I'm not sure I want to "fix" it or not ...

Seems like most got a solid nod from the article/ad spot ... I'd almost call it an ad with how they opted to write it up, but then I'm not familiar with the publication enough. Sort of reminds me of the Family Handyman format in some ways ...

Thanks for post GF. I'm sure they wont mind the potential reverse sales leads of it all.

Edited by delpart

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Plugin Index (PDF) had over 6500 downloads last month. I thought my talent had finally been discovered! :lol:

SOLVED. If it's under Stylize it's an old version.

I just updated Kris' pack and the Drop Shadow effect now shows up in the Object menu.

So someone at the publisher has been using PDN for some time then (or whoever it is that wrote the review) ... :mrgreen: Or has grabbed those files from a dreaded mirror somewhere ... :P I'm leaning towards long term user.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

I tend to agree. Although the website they pointed to for the plug ins originally was not the right one. This just reinforces the point that you should only ever download them from here.

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Don't know if this was posted already, but the Official Windows Magazine mentions Paint.net briefly. I'll try and get a scan ASAP but for now I'll just quote what they said.

"If you don't have any extra image editing software on your PC, you'll know that Paint doesn't quite cut it. That's where Paint.NET comes in - it's a well-designed image editing application that not only fills in the gaps of the software that comes with Windows, but also has plenty of image manipulation features that you'd normally have to buy a package such as Photoshop Elements to get. The best thing is that Paint.NET is completely free. The interface is easy to get to know and uses a tabbed system, while the app works extremely quickly - there's no waiting around for it to start up. Features include layers, effects, unlimited undo, and drawing, gradient, and cloning tools."

Pretty cool.

derp.png

• 5 months later...

Nice cameo in an official article about the newest Process Explorer, which can now show managed (.NET) call stacks: http://blogs.msdn.co...s-explorer.aspx

I even got to review the article before he posted it :)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I rep for Paint.Net everyday on an MMA site I live on at work.  Even made a tutorial for people that want to learn how to alter photo's and face swap on their site.  Here is my sig on the site, and if it's frowned upon to link to other sites then let me know before you warn/ban me please!

Photoshop too expensive, and you wanna SHOOP for free?
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f7/how-use-paint-net-shoop-2077151/

PhotoSig.png

• 11 months later...

Hey everyone!  Paint.NET is in second place on the Lifehacker call for contenders for best Photoshop replacement!  Star the comment that reviews PdN, so more people can find out about how awesome our favorite image editor is!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 5 months later...

A friend of mine introduced to me Paint.NET since I told him that I know nothing about image editing. He told me Paint.NET is easy to use, thus I decided to give it shot. It really is! ;)  All those easy basic things like making a transparent background... you can't get that with just using  Ms Paint.

• 3 weeks later...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I am learning Paint.NET, and reporting my successes/failures on Nikonians, a forum for Nikon users.  I'll be asking a LOT of questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Well lets call me a newbie come home started using Paint.net in 2010 (I only use Paint.net) most of my work gets posted on Caedes.net http://www.caedes.net/Zephir.cgi?lib=Caedes::Infopageℑ=rvdb-1405426709.jpg have promoted Paint.net from day one even have some tutorials posted on using Paint.net on the site. Also post on flickr and (Viewbug a couple of months) post my work under the name Trash Art started out with image 0001 and have to date 0473 postings all manips and made with Paint.net and only Paint.net. Trash Art are pictures I have taken in Rotterdam buildings, street art, flowers, trees,brickwork, store manikins  and anything else at street level grinding and pounding them into what I call Trash Art. My thanks to makers of this no nag open source program just letting you know the no clutter user interface don't change it all good like the plugins as well. Also use Paint.net as a photo editor also first class and for sure Paint. net will get noticed. P3300104_zpsb9535b86.jpg

Edited by R van den Berg

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool find Pixey! I'm always happy to see Paint.NET getting attention.  :star:

Though, I am noticing some of these places that take notice to Paint.NET do get some of the info wrong, lol.

I got the wrong impression when I read this part "In addition to all the usual healing, burning and cloning tools, Paint.NET also offers layer support for advanced editing" Paint.NET does not have healing and burning tools. It only has the clone tool. But, with the addition of Plugins, there is the Smudge tool and Liquefy tool. ;)

-------------------------------------

I found LifeHackers post when I did a google search, which was cool.

Hey everyone!  Paint.NET is in second place on the Lifehacker call for contenders for best Photoshop replacement!  Star the comment that reviews PdN, so more people can find out about how awesome our favorite image editor is!

From that post of "Voting" Paint.NET is 3rd on their Top Five list. And although they are 3rd on the list, 3rd is still really neat! Also, quoting from them, they even called Paint.NET one of their favorites, "Paint.NET is one of our favorite image editing tools" :

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-photoshop-alternatives-1483312519

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In issue 353 of Webuser magazine PDN was rated as the best free graphics program available in a comparison test with others such as Gimp etc. Great stuff !

My one concern in the review was that they never said where to find plugins and just said to search the net, instead of telling people that they should only be downloading from here. So I mentioned that on their forum and posted a link to the plugin section. Unfortunately not everyone who reads the article will visit the forum so will just go ahead and do as they say and search the net, possibly downloading plugins from other websites. A very serious omission I thought.

Anyway it was still nice to see our fave graphics program get a mention. :)

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN