stone4.jpg

stone5.jpg

stone6.jpg

stone65.jpg

stone7.jpg

stone8.jpg

stone9.jpg

Enjoy

In this image I used same tutorial above, but used the Smart Blur and Magic Wand on the grout (top layer) twice to 3 times, this will give a rounded stones shape, then continued the tutorial:

stonetexture2.jpg

In this image I used the Bricks by jchunn plugin for the pattern then Dents, and continued the tutorial:

stonetexture3.jpg

And in this image I used a Free Hand lines for the pattern:

This pattern

freehandstonepatern.png

To got this effect---->>

freehandstone.jpg

Feather Object doesn't come with a True Feather option anymore.

This Selection Feather Beta might be a workable substitute:

BoltBait downplays it, but it works pretty well to shrink things the way True Feather did.

The objects need to be selected first, to use it.

• 2 months later...

OK... At the risk of getting stepped on for asking a question in the wrong place...

Where do I find the Smart Blur plug-in? I got to that step, and then went to find it in my menu, only to realize it's not there (it's not listed as a plugin needed at the begining BTW)

When I got to that step, I figured it was in the basic (updated) version of PdN or something (because it wasn't listed in the list of plugins needed ;) ) But I've looked and it's not in my effects or adjustments, which tells me I need to load it. But when I've looked I can't find it anywhere... not in the Alphebetical list of plugins and I've searched "Smart blur plugin" and have gone through all the results and... nadda :sad:

If one of you guy/gals could please help me locate this plug in it would be greatly appreciated cause it looks like I could really use it in a lot of applications.

Thanks a bunch

SchismSig.jpg

Thanks Sarkut.

I searched using the Search box at the top right corner of this page, but the search box you linked me came up with WAY different results. And I guess I should have known to search for "Vandermotten" when looking for "Smart Blur"

But I got it now... thanks again

SchismSig.jpg

My bad, I am so sorry, because I modified some steps but forgot to add the Smart Blur to the list.

Thanks Schism and Sarkut for pointing on that.

Fixed.

Awesome man... I was just givin ya a lil greif for that by the way... I'll have to try this tut out when I get time now... now that Sarkut pointed me in the right direction to find that plugin

Thanks again Sarkut

Edited by Schism
SchismSig.jpg

Ok... well here's my crack at it.

StoneTexturetut.png

My teachers always told me to put my name on my work :P

This was an awesome tut for me Yellowman... It showed my the Grim reaper plugin (had never used it) and it also showed me a great new way to use the crystalize feature (I would have never thought of) and then, of course the Smart blur... I think I'll be using that one a lot.

This was a nice simple tut, that had very few steps (of course you can probably see I added a bunch of steps/layers on my own) but this tut taught me a lot! Thanks a BUNCH!

SchismSig.jpg

• 1 month later...

I was looking for a way to add highlights and shadows to make my textures more 3D and completely missed the drop shadow plugin glad i looked at this now. Can't wait to try this.

<edit> wonder if this works with the selection as low as 32x32 pixels </edit>

Edited by jimjimmy1995

Make sure in first step to use black and white for Clouds.

When using Outline, Do not put the Intensity to full (100)

If this is still a problem, then after Outline don't use Grim Color Reaper , use Magic Wand with Global mode and zero Tolerance , and select inside the cells, then hit Delete on your keyboard.

Edited by yellowman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is just what I was looking for. It worked great for the dinosaur skin texture I wanted to make.

Thanks!

dynojugglersigsmall-1.jpg

• 3 months later...

I thought I followed your tut carefully, but I keep getting a white ring around each stone. I tried to adjust the settings for drop shadow, but it didn't work. Any ideas?

th_Stonetexture.png

I changed the x/y values in the Drop Menu to one, and I still see the white border around the stones. They remain after I apply the Drop Shadow again in Black. I also tried increasing the Magic Wand Tolerence before deleting in the previous steps. That didn't work either.

th_Capture1.png

Edited by Bob11

I thought I followed your tut carefully, but I keep getting a white ring around each stone. I tried to adjust the settings for drop shadow, but it didn't work. Any ideas?

th_Stonetexture.png

Don't slide x/y in the Drop shadow to much, apply it in a small amount and repeat it.

Try it, and if it doesn't work with you, then there is some other solutions to work around,

Don't slide x/y in the Drop shadow to much, apply it in a small amount and repeat it.

Try it, and if it doesn't work with you, then there is some other solutions to work around,

I changed the x/y values in the Drop Shadow Menu to one, and I still see the white border around the stones. They remain after I apply the Drop Shadow again in Black. I also tried increasing the Magic Wand Tolerence before deleting in the previous steps. That didn't work either

th_Capture1.png

Edited by Bob11

Thanks Bob11 for providing the last image,

looks like there is some leftover white in one of the steps,

to get rid of that do this:

-After last application of the smart blur, change the grid to a full black by using the lightness of Hue/Saturation "slide Lightness all the way to the left"

-Now lighten the black with same way by sliding the Lightness to the right this time to get the desired gray, and continue the tutorial.

If you still have a problem, just tell me to help you with a video version of this tutorial.

If you read through the comments, this tutorial have been modified due to the deletion of the original Feather plugin "contain bug", that's why you are facing all these problems, I may delete the tutorial or find another method.

I followed your directions about the hue change, but although the results were an improvement, it still was not that good.

th_stonetexturewhitedropshadowfirst.png

Then I followed your directions again, but applied the black Drop Shadow before the white Drop Shadow. I like this result much better. Maybe I just prefer a black shadow over a white one.

th_stonetextureblackdropshadowfirst.png

I wondered what would happen if I skipped your directions about the hue change but just applied the black Drop Shadow before the white one. Not good. Gray circles around the stones.

th_stonetextureblackdropshadowfirstwithouthuechangeaftersecondsmartblur.png

Anyway, thanks for the tip about the hue change.

Edited by Bob11

• 1 month later...

Very nice...

Thanks for sharing its tutorial with all of us.. Its really very nice and interesting for all of us.. Specially for those who are new here...

<spammy sig removed by EER>

• 1 year later...

I love this tut, help me makes my own textures. Thank you so much for this great texture, easy to learn and experiment. And the result looks awesome! <3  <3  <3

• 9 months later...