How to Install Plugins ×

Simulate Color Depth: Updated 13-07-11

Cookies

This plugin simulate images as if they had X count of bits in total both monochrome and RGB are included

screenshot:

scd[1].png

before:

24bit[1].png

after (dithering - Bayer 8x8):

3bit%20bayer%208x8[1].png

after (dithering - Floyd Steinberg):

3bit%20floyd[1].png

after (no dithering):

3bitrgb[1].png

As you see the colors got reduced when the setting is 3bit RGB but with dithering enabled it doesn't look that harsh as if there wasn't dithering enabled.

If you are wondering why i didn't include 8bit then press Ctrl+Shift+G when you have a colored image open, 8bit monochrome is the same greyscaling an image everything from 9bit and above is colored, in 16bit mode it add's an extra bit to the green component because the human eye is more sensitive to green then red and blue (which can be read in the wiki page linked to below)

Put the DLL into Paint.NET/Effects folder and "Paint.NET User Files" folder in the zip into your documents folder

i used this wiki page as guideline, although the results i get is nothing like the ones on the page i do still believe my results are good i also got the test image from that wiki page

Change Log:
13-07-2011: cleared changelog as there was no reason for it to be there, completely changed the plugin since its start

Changes include:

3 hard coded dithers if no dithers are getting loaded

Custom dithers in XML format

Error diffusion dithers are now represented correct, no "randomization" in them anymore caused by multithreading

DLL: SimulateColorDepth.zip

CookiesSigPDN2.png

• 8 months later...

Updated, completely changed how this thing works. Will work on another plugin for making dither algorithms for this later, also might make this multithreaded later

(Plugin update on my birthday ... Wooo!)

Edited by Cookies
CookiesSigPDN2.png

Happy birthday and thx for the plugin! This may actually come in handy sometime soon...

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

• 9 months later...

I'm not sure if I should post this in this topic or in a new topic in the "Bug reports" section, but I'll try posting it here first.

My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit, & my version of PDN is 3.5.10 portable. Anyway, on 4-25-2012, I downloaded "Simulate color depth" from here. It works very well mostly, except for this bug. You need to have the "Dither" box checked. Then, if you try to use "Stucki" dithering (which doesn't seem to work at all), it will ignore your attempt to use it, & changing the dithering from "Stucki" to a different dither crashes the plug-in. I'm surprised that nobody has posted this before now (I would've posted about it earlier, but my circumstances kept me away from the internet for a very long time).

Also, the only ditherings that I can find are "Floyd-Steinberg", "Stucki", & "Bayer Ordered 8x8". Any help with that?

Finally, I hope that in a future version, you add color versions of all of the bit modes. I trust that I won't have to try too hard to convince you that the option of keeping your color images colored is as important as making them gray-scaled.

Edited by wakanayumi

Images restored thanks to @ReMake

• 7 years later...

@RandomMan181 The version of Simulate Color Depth that you can download from the first post is this topic works in 5.0.13.

What makes you think that it does not?

Have you unzipped the downloaded file and put the .dll in the Effects folder?

See https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/1708-how-to-install-pluginsgeneral-plugin-troubleshooting-thread/

Also, please read the Forum Rules before posting again; read them all but note in particular #10.

I've deleted the personal 'status messages' you used to post questions. Please ask your questions in the forum.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@buk 

1. Stop shouting.

2. Quit this repeated 'Hide contents' nonsense. It just wastes people's time repeatedly clicking to see what you wrote.

image.png

3. Report properly in what way it "doesn't work" for you.

FYI, the plugin works OK for me on paint.net 5.0.13

4 hours ago, buk said:

IT DOESN'T WORK!11 Please update it

Reveal hidden contents

Stop being entitled and annoying. You are one reply away from being permanently banned.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

^^ Confirmed. Crash seems to be related to setting the Dither Method to Stucki.

Error message:

Spoiler

File: C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\SimulateColorDepth.dll
Name: SimulateColorDepthEffect.SimulateColorDepthEffectPlugin
Version: 1.0.4211.27729
Author: Cookies
Copyright: Copyright © Cookies
Full error message: PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception
 ---> System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at SimulateColorDepthEffect.ErrorDiffusionSimple.ProcessDither(Surface src, Surface dst, PdnRegion reg, Rectangle rect, Int32 BitDepth)
   at SimulateColorDepthEffect.SimulateColorDepthEffectPlugin.Render(EffectConfigToken parameters, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs, Rectangle[] rois, Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect.ClassicEffectRenderer.Render(ReadOnlySpan`1 renderRects) in D:\src\pdn\src_5_0_x\Effects.Core\Effects\Effect.cs:line 616
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.ClassicEffectDriver.OnRendererRender(IClassicEffectRenderer renderer, ILockedBitmap`1 dstBitmap, ReadOnlySpan`1 renderRects) in D:\src\pdn\src_5_0_x\PaintDotNet\Effects\ClassicEffectDriver.cs:line 95
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.RenderWithClipMask(PooledNativeList`1 rois, Result`1 lazyClipMaskRenderer) in D:\src\pdn\src_5_0_x\PaintDotNet\Effects\EffectDriver`1.cs:line 346
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.RendererContext.RenderTile(Int32 tileIndex) in D:\src\pdn\src_5_0_x\PaintDotNet\Effects\EffectDriver`1.cs:line 254
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.RendererContext.RenderNextTile() in D:\src\pdn\src_5_0_x\PaintDotNet\Effects\EffectDriver`1.cs:line 249
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.<>c__DisplayClass51_0.<ThreadFunction>b__0() in D:\src\pdn\src_5_0_x\PaintDotNet\Effects\EffectDriver`1.cs:line 384
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.DrainExceptions() in D:\src\pdn\src_5_0_x\PaintDotNet\Effects\EffectDriver`1.cs:line 538
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.Abort() in D:\src\pdn\src_5_0_x\PaintDotNet\Effects\EffectDriver`1.cs:line 494
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.Start(EffectConfigToken effectToken) in D:\src\pdn\src_5_0_x\PaintDotNet\Effects\EffectDriver`1.cs:line 437
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.<>c__DisplayClass47_3.<RunEffectImpl>b__6() in D:\src\pdn\src_5_0_x\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 1003

Diagnostics:

Application                                            paint.net 5.0.13 (Stable 5.13.8830.42291)
Build Date                                             Tuesday, 5 March 2024
Install type                                           Classic

Language:                                              en-US
DPI                                                    1 (1.00x scale)
UI/Canvas GPU                                          True
Rendering GPU                                          🚀 Performance (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB)
Remote session                                         False
Animations                                             True
Translucent windows                                    True
Windows Ink                                            True

OS                                                     Windows 10 Home x64 (10.0.19045.0)
Runtime                                                .NET 7.0.16 x64

Physical Memory                                        24,416 MB (15,363 MB free)
Paging File                                            28,000 MB (15,598 MB free)

CPU                                                    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz
    Speed                                              ~3193 MHz
    Cores / Threads                                    4 / 4
    Features                                           SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4_1, SSE4_2, AVX, AVX2

Monitor                                                1
    Resolution                                         1920 x 1080, 60 Hz
    DPI                                                96 (1.00x scale)
    Coordinates                                        (L=0, T=0, R=1920, B=1080)
    Bit depth                                          8
    Color space                                        RgbFullGamma22NoneP709
    Connected to                                       NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Monitor                                                2
    Resolution                                         1920 x 1080, 60 Hz
    DPI                                                96 (1.00x scale)
    Coordinates                                        (L=1920, T=115, R=3840, B=1195)
    Bit depth                                          8
    Color space                                        RgbFullGamma22NoneP709
    Connected to                                       Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

Video Card                                             NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    Hardware Acceleration                              Supported
    Dedicated Video RAM                                6,052 MB
    Dedicated System RAM                               0 MB
    Shared System RAM                                  12,208 MB
    Driver Version                                     27.21.14.5751
    Vendor ID                                          0x10DE
    Device ID                                          0x1C03
    Subsystem ID                                       0x32831462
    Revision                                           161
    LUID                                               0x0000A1C5
    Flags                                              AcgCompatible, SupportMonitoredFences, KeyedMutexConformance
    Graphics Preemption                                PixelBoundary
    Compute Preemption                                 DispatchBoundary
    Outputs                                            1
    Feature Level                                      Level_12_1
    Features                                           Doubles, ComputeShadersEtc
    DXGI Formats                                       A8_UNorm, B8G8R8A8_UNorm, R16G16B16A16_UNorm, R16G16B16A16_Float, R32G32B32A32_Float
    Buffer Precisions                                  UInt8Normalized, UInt8NormalizedSrgb, UInt16Normalized, Float16, Float32
    Maximum Bitmap Size                                16384

Video Card                                             Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
    Hardware Acceleration                              Supported
    Dedicated Video RAM                                112 MB
    Shared System RAM                                  2,048 MB
    Driver Version                                     20.19.15.4835
    Vendor ID                                          0x8086
    Device ID                                          0x0412
    Subsystem ID                                       0x85341043
    Revision                                           6
    LUID                                               0x0000ADEE
    Flags                                              SupportMonitoredFences, KeyedMutexConformance
    Graphics Preemption                                PrimitiveBoundary
    Compute Preemption                                 ThreadGroupBoundary
    Outputs                                            1
    Feature Level                                      Level_11_1
    DXGI Formats                                       A8_UNorm, B8G8R8A8_UNorm, R16G16B16A16_UNorm, R16G16B16A16_Float, R32G32B32A32_Float
    Buffer Precisions                                  UInt8Normalized, UInt8NormalizedSrgb, UInt16Normalized, Float16, Float32
    Maximum Bitmap Size                                16384

Video Card                                             Microsoft Basic Render Driver
    Hardware Acceleration                              N/A
    Dedicated Video RAM                                0 MB
    Shared System RAM                                  12,208 MB
    Driver Version                                     10.0.19041.3636
    Vendor ID                                          0x1414
    Device ID                                          0x008C
    Subsystem ID                                       0x00000000
    Revision                                           0
    LUID                                               0x0000AD9C
    Flags                                              Software, AcgCompatible, SupportMonitoredFences, KeyedMutexConformance
    Graphics Preemption                                InstructionBoundary
    Compute Preemption                                 InstructionBoundary
    Outputs                                            0
    Feature Level                                      Level_12_1
    Maximum Bitmap Size                                8388608