combine 2 images side-by-side

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Krooze

Krooze
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:51 AM

I'm brand spanking new to paint.net and I have a question. I have 2 photos that I want to place side-by-side, combined into one image. One will need to be resized to be the same size as the other so the edges will match up. I don't need to do anything else to them, just stick them together and print it as one image. Can this be done?
Thanks for the help!

#2 Sfifer

Sfifer
  • Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:50 AM

simple.

resize one to the same size as the other
make your canvas twice as wide as one picture
paste on picture in and Auto Align it to the left
make a new layer
paste the other picture in and Auto Align it to the right
save

Posted Image
Blog                     Twitter                     My Gallery

#3 yellowman

yellowman
  • Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:26 AM

1-If the two images are both in same aspect ratio then do these:
-Open the bigger picture in Paint.net
-Size it down to make it same size as the second picture use: Image>Resize "Check the Maintain aspect ratio box"
-Open Image>Canvas Size, double up the Width and Anchor Right "uncheck here the Maintain aspect ratio box"
-Import the other picture, Layers>Import From File "by default the program will Align the second picture to the left"
-File>Save As...

2-If they are in different aspects then do this:
-Open the one with the bigger height
-Size it down so that the height is same as the second picture
-Open Canvas Size, Anchor Right, increase the width by adding the width of the second picture
-Import the second picture
-File>Save As...

#4 Krooze

Krooze
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:56 AM

Sfifer and yellowman - Thanks for the help.

The combined image looks great, probably much too big to post here though (it's around 8 mb's). They were scans of two drawings of mine that I needed to combine, it's artwork for a calendar. They images were different aspect ratios also so thanks for the additional instructions, yellowman.

I wouldn't call it simple since I had never used paint.exe before, but once I was able to understand what you were doing it went smoothly. I really like this program, nice tools and much easier to learn than the first one I tried.

Another thing I learned: Gimp Sucks! It crashed every time I tried to import the second image. Much harder to navigate and learn also, IMO.

Anyway, thanks again!

#5 Lillyrose

Lillyrose
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:24 AM

Thank you so much Sfifer!! I had been trying to do this for a while tonight...I finally stumbled onto your answer and it worked like a charm :)