Special Discussion

Possum Roadkill

2 questions that just came to me ...

1. When entries are PM's only ... where do you post links for stock images :|

2. Some comps state No Stocks ... but brushes are OK.

If you know where to get decent brushes, don't these qualify as stocks :/

You could actually make something that isn't stock but nothing is actually PDN ... just editted in PDN (but then again, PDN is an editting software)

... I'm confusing myself here.

I think if a certain comp bans stock, it should ban brushes ... if it allows brushes, then it should allow stock

Just post the stocks in the PM. There really isn't a way to post them in the poll, and it would make things more complicated to post them in the entry thread. I think as long as you post them in the PM to the host, that should suffice. If someone complains, the host can then check the PM to see what the stocks were. I know this isn't perfect, but this method is already complicated and time consuming enough to add additional changes.

As for the issue of brushes, we have had this discussion on another thread, and I don't remember exactly where it was. But the use of brushes is OK as long as the brush is not a stock image converted to a brush. In other words, most brushes are like these, 8-pointstar2.pngAbstract2.png

and are used for small elements or textures or shading effects. However, if someone used a brush like this pepper brush pepper.png that would be considered a stock image if they used the pepper as an element in their image. I guess if they used it in a way that you cannot tell that it's a pepper and only as a texture or shading in some way, then it might not be considered a brush. I guess it's all in how you look at it. I did not create the fist star brush I posted in this thread but used to use it all the time. I don't use it anymore, but I don't see anything wrong with using this kind of brush. I also don't see a problem with using a brush like this, http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp41/PossumRoadkill/Logos/Palm1.png because I made it from scratch to use in an image. If you always consider brushes as stock then you would have to allow stocks in every comp and that would create additional problems. I know, it's a complicated issue, and again, not always perfect. It's really up to the hosts to manage these kind of issues and make sure that people follow the rules as best they can.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

• 3 weeks later...

About the WOTW competition restrictions. I liked the whole image dimension restriction because it makes "wallpaper" in "wallpaper of the week" mean something, but it seems some people found it too strict. Maybe we should just place a minimum image size (maybe give it a minimum number of pixels or square centimeters) and tell people to just make sure there is no visible distortion of the image when it is used as their desktop background. Yes? No? Better suggestions?

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

About the WOTW competition restrictions. I liked the whole image dimension restriction because it makes "wallpaper" in "wallpaper of the week" mean something, but it seems some people found it too strict. Maybe we should just place a minimum image size (maybe give it a minimum number of pixels or square centimeters) and tell people to just make sure there is no visible distortion of the image when it is used as their desktop background. Yes? No? Better suggestions?

That's not a bad idea but I've been too busy to have time to figure out how to implement it. I don't want to have to set and figure out whether or not people have the correct ratio for their image on each and every one. I know people don't realize it, but the comps take a lot of time as it is. I don't want to add any rule that adds more time to the preparation and management of the comps.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

Good point :/ I wouldn't want it to take any more time to manage the comp either...perhaps make it not a rule, but just place it there as a reminder that this is a wallpaper competition.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo