How to Install Plugins ×

Hardware Accelerated Blur Pack v3.2

Bruce Bowyer-Smyth

Bruce, any chance of adding a screen shot of the UI?

The UI is almost the same as the built-in effects. Some have a extra checkbox to control how pixels on the edge of the image are blurred and some have an extra dropdown list to limit the blur directions.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a huge improvement on motion blur even on my relatively weak 8600gts. I 100% believe that 31,700% increase figure.

Glad you like it. Performance difference is dependent on the cpu and gpu combination but as you say the weaker video card still far out performs your quad core. Nice.

The particular figure I posted was from my dual core and 8800GTS setup and a 4800x6400 image. 16m 47.6 seconds versus 3.166 seconds.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Version 2.1 gives the following plugin load error on latest Paint.net (3.5.10):

File: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\ComputeShaderEffects.dll

Effect Name: ComputeShaderEffects.TiledComputeShaderBase

Full error message: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.AddEffectsToMenu() in D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 501

Thanks for your help--

I use HD6470M with support directcompute but receive this erros message :(

1 of 6
--------------
  Full error message: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
  at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.AddEffectsToMenu() in D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 501
2 of 6
--------------
  Name: ComputeShaderEffects.ZoomBlur.ZoomBlurGPU
  Version: 2.1.0.0
  Author: Bruce Bowyer-Smyth
  Copyright: Bruce Bowyer-Smyth
  Full error message: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'SlimDX, Version=2.0.10.43, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'SlimDX, Version=2.0.10.43, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
  at ComputeShaderEffects.ComputeShaderBase..ctor(String name, Image image, String subMenuName, EffectFlags flags)
  at ComputeShaderEffects.ImageComputeShaderBase..ctor(String name, Image image, String subMenuName, EffectFlags flags)
  at ComputeShaderEffects.ZoomBlur.ZoomBlurGPU..ctor()
WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType)
  at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
3 of 6
--------------
  Name: ComputeShaderEffects.GaussianBlur.GaussianBlurGPU
  Full error message: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'SlimDX, Version=2.0.10.43, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
  at ComputeShaderEffects.ComputeShaderBase..ctor(String name, Image image, String subMenuName, EffectFlags flags)
  at ComputeShaderEffects.TiledComputeShaderBase..ctor(String name, Image image, String subMenuName, EffectFlags flags)
  at ComputeShaderEffects.GaussianBlur.GaussianBlurGPU..ctor()
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].
  at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType)
  at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
4 of 6
--------------
  Name: ComputeShaderEffects.MotionBlur.MotionBlurGPU
  at ComputeShaderEffects.TiledComputeShaderBase..ctor(String name, Image image, String subMenuName, EffectFlags flags)
  at ComputeShaderEffects.MotionBlur.MotionBlurGPU..ctor()
5 of 6
--------------
  Name: ComputeShaderEffects.ChannelBlur.ChannelBlurGPU
  at ComputeShaderEffects.ChannelBlur.ChannelBlurGPU..ctor()
6 of 6
--------------
  Name: ComputeShaderEffects.RadialBlur.RadialBlurGPU
  at ComputeShaderEffects.RadialBlur.RadialBlurGPU..ctor()

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am receiving the following error as well

1 of 1

--------------

I have both SlimDX.D3D11.X86.dll and SlimDX.D3D11.X64.dll in my paint.net\effects folder

You know the place.

Bruce, you should be able to suppress that error by marking the class as abstract (I think this should be honored?). If for some reason that doesn't work, add the attribute [EffectCategory(EffectCategory.DoNotDisplay)] to the class (the attribute is not inherited by derived classes).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thanks Rick, The abstract statement was missing from that class. That fixed up the warning.

New version posted:

Fixed plugin load warning

Fixed issue where some blurs were off by half a pixel

Added support for falling back to the Windows 8 software based compute shader if you GPU doesn't have the required features.

• 2 months later...

Hello Bruce Bowyer-Smythe,

Thanks for the GPU blur pack. I installed it about 2 months ago and it's very quick!

Unfortunately I've been getting a few problems (see screen-shot below). This happened with the Gaussian blur, but I have had similar happen with the zoom-blur too.

I expect this is the fault of my graphics card? - but I thought I should report back here incase it isn't.

Fortunately I had recently saved on this occasion - so no tears, but it is worrying that the undo function made things worse rather than taking it back to a state before the plugin was run.

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS fully updated.(updated with windows auto-updates).

Vista - fully updated

Thanks for all the hard work.

GPUgaussianblurproblemboth.png

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Well, ...many thanks in anticipation.

Unfortunately I can’t download the new version (perhaps I’m being thicker than usual?).

The page one download link takes me to your site and the download link there takes me back to page one here? ( the other downloads there didn’t seem to work either?)

Am I making some obvious mistake here?

I will install the new version when I can download it, and thanks again.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello Bruce

I like this plug-in.

Today, I might have found a bug of Motion Blur.

There is trouble on large size image.

This image was expanded to 200% of the sample of Win7.

(1024x768)> (2048x1536)

And I use at about 90 degrees (GPU) MotionBlur.

A similar result was also about -90 degrees.

The original size (1024x768), but this is not a problem.

155800042_org.v1349615523.jpg

My PC

pdn v3.5.10

Hardware Accelerated Blur Pack v2.3

win 7

Core i3

RAM 8GB

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640

dpy Reported.

• 3 weeks later...