Can I convert a scan of a 35mm negative to a positive/

I am trying to get a look at color negatives by scanning in a multi-function HP printer. I need to convert, or whatever you call it, to a positive so I can determine if it is worthwhile printing (I have a lot of color and B&W negs). Can PaintNet do this? Sorry if this subject has been covered, I could not find it.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by dduck

The Tutorials forum is for publishing tutorials, not asking for help.

Moved to GD&Q

Also, Curves+ has a Negative preset you could try.

Even if it doesn't give the desired results outright, I imagine it would serve as a good starting point for experimenting to get what you're looking for.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

The Tutorials forum is for publishing tutorials, not asking for help.

Moved to GD&Q

Also, Curves+ has a Negative preset you could try.

Even if it doesn't give the desired results outright, I imagine it would serve as a good starting point for experimenting to get what you're looking for.

I added you curves + to Paint.net and it (after a lot of guessing) got it to appear in the Adjustments list.

However, when I clicked on it I got this:

File: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\Curves+.dll

Effect Name: pyrochild.effects.curvesplus.CurvesPlus

Full error message: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'pyrochild.effects.REQUIRED, Version=3.6.3627.29844, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

File name: 'pyrochild.effects.REQUIRED, Version=3.6.3627.29844, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

at pyrochild.effects.curvesplus.CurvesPlus.CreateConfigDialog()

at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffectImpl(Type effectType) in D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 799

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.

To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.

Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.

To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Please advise, Thanks

pyrochild.effects.REQUIRED, needs to be installed in the Effects folder also.

It's part of the full plugin pack.

http://forums.getpai...gins-2010-4-01/

Click on - Download from box.net

Thanks, I did put curves + in the Effects folder (drag and dropped) BUT it only appears in the Adj. drop down box.

I don't see where to get pyrochild.effects.required and don't knoew what box.net is for. Sorry.

Addendum: I finally found it and it seems to work now.

Thanks again

However, the "Negative" preset does not reverse the negative. The "Inverse Luminousity" does work somewhat, but the result is too unclear to be usable, at least on the one negative that I scanned.

Edited by dduck