Resizing drawn objects or editing text

michaelplevy

Sorry if this is a newbie/FAQ...

Can I resize or recolor a shape that I've drawn? In other editors I've used, a newly drawn shape is editable until something else is selected. In MSPaint on Win7 this is true. If I draw a shape, it has selection handles and can be modified. If I then deselect the shape it gets flattened into the layer and can no longer be edited. The same behavior is true for adding text, in MS Digital Image Pro I can add text to a drawing. That text stays editable until I do something to it to flatten it into the drawing (like cutting part of it to the clipboard). In Digital image pro I can almost always go back and resize, reposition, and recolor text. I can also edit the content of the text and change the font. Is there a way I can edit my drawing objects and text in Paint.Net? or do I have to get it right (colors, size, etc.) when it is first drawn?

If this doesn't exist in 3.5, is it on the roadmap for 4?

post-75562-127419970233_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

Keep each item on its own transparent layer to keep it editable.

Text on its own layer is editable as an image, but not in the manner

of editing by word-processing after the text tool has been quit.

Edited by Sarkut

I see now that text stays editable until it is deselected. The cross arrow handle lets you reposition the text and font, size, and color can all be changed as long as the text has not been deselected. Once it is deselected it is flattened into its layer. Putting text in its own layer will make it easier to replace it later.

A line/curve can also be edited until it is deselected. A line/curve stays selected after it is drawn and color, dash, brush width, and fill can all be changed until the line/curve is deselected.

Other drawing shapes cannot be edited, so the properties (color, fill, brush width, etc.) must be set correctly before drawing.

Other drawing shapes cannot be edited, so the properties (color, fill, brush width, etc.) must be set correctly before drawing.

Yes and no.

If on their own transparent layer they can still be recolored,

resized by selecting and using the Move Selected Pixels tool, etc.

• 3 months later...

I just found an excellent text editor plugin [snip]

Open the text editor and type the text there, also position it here, it then shows up on the screen. The text tool can be deselected, just save the file as a pdn, then when you come back even after closing Paint.NET, just go back to Effects > Tools > Editable Text and you can edit the text however you like! Contents, position, font etc.

If you want various blocks of text I suggest using different layers. The plugin will edit the text on the selected layer.

Edited by pyrochild
removed link