Photo

fatal installation error 1603 Fix

51 replies to this topic

#1 toki

toki
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

I had the fatal error during installation 1603 I tried all the fixes in this thread and a lot of others:
http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/692-problems-with-install-update-or-uninstall-read-this/ but nothing worked! after a month or so i solved the problem as it turns out my TrustedInstaller.exe which is a windows service was corrupted

I had a tough time getting a copy,
The reason why u cant find a download anywhere on the internet, is because it isn't a program its a windows service luckily a friend of mine had 64bit and 32bit computers i extracted the trustedInstaller and uploaded it with a set of instructions i wrote to help people fix this !

Download the copy of TrustedInstaller.exe+instructions here:
only download If corrupted
http://www.mediafire.com/?1mnyzmmzfqd

after all this i finally had everything in place and working so i downloaded paint.net tried to install and what do i see! a new error!
error 1601 i went crazy XD but thankfully i found a quick fix to the problem using the vista fix from this article:
http://www.ehow.com/...ller-error.html

After i used the fix i tried to re-install paint.net and it was successful!!

I posted this so i could help future people who may encounter this horrid problem

Edited by toki, 18 May 2010 - 10:06 AM.

#2 pyrochild

pyrochild
  • Administrators
  • 11,494 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:45 PM

Pinned. Hopefully it helps others as well. Unfortunately, there are numerous causes for a 1603 error, and I doubt this will fix them all.
xZYt6wl.png
ambigram signature by Kemaru

[I write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

#3 Rick Brewster

Rick Brewster

Paint.NET Author and Developer

• Administrators
  • 13,554 posts
  • LocationKirkland, WA

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:52 PM

Well this is certainly good news. Thanks!

I must advise against installing system files from an untrusted* (or at least unofficial) source. However since I don't have an alternative solution, it's certainly worth keeping this around.

The next time someone runs into this, I recommend that we ask them to run a little utility that comes with Windows called "SFC" (System File Checker). You can run it from an elevated command prompt (cmd.exe).

C:\Windows\system32>sfc

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Checker Version 6.0
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Scans the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with
correct Microsoft versions.

SFC [/SCANNOW] [/VERIFYONLY] [/SCANFILE=<file>] [/VERIFYFILE=<file>]
	[/OFFWINDIR=<offline windows directory> /OFFBOOTDIR=<offline boot directory>]

/SCANNOW 	Scans integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with problems when possible.
/VERIFYONLY 	Scans integrity of all protected system files. No repair operation is performed.
/SCANFILE 	Scans integrity of the referenced file, repairs file if problems are identified. Specify full path <file>
/VERIFYFILE 	Verifies the integrity of the file with full path <file>. No repair operation is performed.
/OFFBOOTDIR 	For offline repair specify the location of the offline boot directory
/OFFWINDIR 	For offline repair specify the location of the offline windows directory

e.g.

sfc /SCANNOW
 	sfc /VERIFYFILE=c:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll
 	sfc /SCANFILE=d:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll /OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ /OFFWINDIR=d:\windows
 	sfc /VERIFYONLY

* This isn't to say "I don't trust you." I'm using the word trust in the technical, not emotional, sense.
The Paint.NET Blog: http://blog.getpaint.net/
Donations are always appreciated! http://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

Posted Image

#4 draders

draders
  • Newbies
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

It should be noted that it is possible to get this error if you try to install Paint.NET after updating windows and postponing restarting. This had happened to me and I wasted 2 hours trying to get it to work.

#5 Canna

Canna
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:49 PM

FYI, I will be doing the "fix" thing, but want to know why. Am just curious as to why it is broken for paint.net and not anything else that I have downloaded. Have had Windows 7 since end of March and am installing anything *except this* as wanted/needed. So why this?

Thank you!

#6 Rick Brewster

Rick Brewster

• Administrators
  • 13,554 posts
  • LocationKirkland, WA

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:35 PM

Canna, I don't know why this 1603 error happens for some people. I have uninstalled, installed, and updated Paint.NET thousands of times and never had this problem.

However, for this specific fix, the problem has nothing to do with Paint.NET. A system file became corrupt and there are ways to fix it (I recommend using SFC, and not downloading a random version from some website). Paint.NET cannot be blamed for that.

Posted Image

#7 wcstoddart

wcstoddart
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:06 PM

The 1603 error problem occurred for me when updating to version 3.5.5 from 3.5.4. I then reinstalled 3.5.4 with no problem . Perhaps 3.5.5. expects to find something that 3.5.4 does not?

best wishes,
Chris Stoddart

#8 Sarkut

Sarkut
  • Competition Hosts
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

The new requirements are:

XP - Service Pack 3

Vista - Service Pack 1

Posted Image

#9 RavenTheJust

RavenTheJust
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

Canna, I don't know why this 1603 error happens for some people. I have uninstalled, installed, and updated Paint.NET thousands of times and never had this problem.

However, for this specific fix, the problem has nothing to do with Paint.NET. A system file became corrupt and there are ways to fix it (I recommend using SFC, and not downloading a random version from some website). Paint.NET cannot be blamed for that.

For me this was not true. It had nothing to do with the system but obviously with some paint.net registry values.
The problem occured for me when I installed Paint.net v.3.5.5 on a drive other than my System drive (Windows 7). I had some problems with my Vista boot which was on that partition and long story's short, the program data of paint.net(and some other programs I installed under Windows 7) got corrupted.
I was forced to uninstall all the programs on this partition and for most this was no problem. The uninstaller of Bad Company 2, Skype, VLC worked with no problem but I was unable to uninstall Paint.net (stated that a program needed for uninstallation is not running properly) neither could I install it over the old installation due to this 1603 error.

I tried SFC.exe which found no errors in my system (no wonder the installation is brand new), I cleand the registry with CCleaner and removed all files from the trash.. Nothing helped.

Now I finally was able to install it properly, this is what I did:
1. Uninstall the Program via Add/Remove Programs (it won't work but remove the program from the list)
2. Use Ccleaner to clean your registry
3. Move to "C:\Users\MyUsername\AppData(Hidden)\Local\Temp" and delete everything in it
4. Open CMD:Regedt32
5. Search for "Paint.net" and delete all entries for paint.net (you can leave those associated with filetypes like png, or jpeg). You will find some references for temp-files, dll's, exe's and a cryptic Windows installer folder consisting only of numbers and letters.

Then run the installation and it should succeed..

However, as always there's no guarantee this will work and you could seriously damage your system if you mess with the registry...

But I think the problem lies within the temporary files, or references to those, which cannot be overwritten or something.. I believe that the PdN installer messes something up..

Could be the reg keys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted]

"C:\\Users\\USER\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\Temp1_Paint.NET.3.5.5.Install.zip\\Paint.NET.3.5.5.Install.exe"=dword:00000001
[...]
"D:\\Programme Win7\\Staging\\Paint.NET.3.5.5.Install.exe"=dword:00000001

Or a bunch of keys looked similar to this ones(tons of file references which are, of course, no longer existing once they are deleted)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Assemblies\D:|Programme Win7|Paint.net|ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll]

Long story's short: I'm glad I could fix everything and it is working as intended now..

#10 Rick Brewster

Rick Brewster

• Administrators
  • 13,554 posts
  • LocationKirkland, WA

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

Deleting registry keys all over the place is a VERY BAD IDEA.

If you didn't try the Windows Installer Cleanup program, then you should have. Otherwise you are just randomly hitting your computer with a hammer until it works again. The collateral damage could be significant.

Posted Image

#11 RavenTheJust

RavenTheJust
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

Yeah it could seriously damage my computer if I would delete the reg keys randomly.. But I'm not "hiting it randomly with a hammer"..
Enlight me: What can go wrong if I delete Reg-Keys of a program which is not installed on my computer and is not working properly anyway?
Sometimes you have to use brute-force.. Windows Install Cleanup does basically the same thing. It just removes the installer references - as did I..

Install CleanUp is a good idea anyway..

Edited by RavenTheJust, 10 July 2010 - 02:00 PM.

#12 summer_782

summer_782
  • Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBurlington, IA

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

Can anyone tell me where I can download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility? I have searched the internet and cannot find it. It seems that Microsoft no longer distributes the utility. I have tried every other fix I have found for this error 1603 and nothing is working. I am completely lost without my Paint.net.
Posted Image

#13 Sarkut

Sarkut
  • Competition Hosts
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:48 PM

It looks like Microsoft has pulled the Installer Cleanup Utility.

There is a download available here:
http://majorgeeks.co...lity_d4459.html

Edited by Sarkut, 20 February 2011 - 03:08 PM.

Posted Image

#14 janderson

janderson
  • Newbies
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

I ran the sfc with the scannow promt. It said that some files were corrupt and it was unable to fix all of them. I tried to install the program again, and I still got the 1603 error. I don't know my way around the computer very well, but I really want my paint.net back. I still got the error while trying to install an older version as well. :( I don't want to mess around with the computer too much since I don't really know what I am doing.

#15 Sarkut

Sarkut
  • Competition Hosts
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:55 PM

Sometimes sfc /scannow needs to be run 3 to 4 times in succession.

It might fix only one thing per scan, so repeating the scan may fix more things.

Posted Image

#16 janderson

janderson
  • Newbies
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:06 AM

There are 4 errors all for tcpmon.ini. It says "Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch" From what I have read, SFC will be unable to repair these itself. Could this be what is causing my issue with paint.net or is it something else?

Edited by janderson, 06 November 2010 - 03:49 PM.

#17 janderson

janderson
  • Newbies
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:37 PM

Finally figured it out on my own. I disabled my UAC (user account controls) temporarily and my spyware doctor. Don't know which was the issue, but problem solved! Don't know what my SFC scan errors are about, but oh well. Just thought I would post this simple solution for other people to try. :)

#18 cadbusca

cadbusca
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:50 PM

Finally figured it out on my own. I disabled my UAC (user account controls) temporarily and my spyware doctor. Don't know which was the issue, but problem solved! Don't know what my SFC scan errors are about, but oh well. Just thought I would post this simple solution for other people to try. :)

Janderson, thanks for the tip.
I use AVG Anti-Virus Free Ed 2011 and the installation worked after disabling its "Identity Protection" component.

#19 Amauros

Amauros
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:22 PM

I've tried toki's, raven's, and brewster's solutions and I still get the 1603 error. I've had this problem since last weekend when I uninstalled 3.5.4 to install 3.5.6. I've even googled for generic 1603 errors and tried other solutions to no avail. What's worse is I get this error when I try reinstalling 3.5.4.

#20 Ego Eram Reputo

Ego Eram Reputo

2013 Proton Award Winner

• Moderators
  • 7,813 posts
  • LocationNorth Canterbury, New Zealand

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

For future reference, you don't need to uninstall to update Paint.Net. Just run the installer and it will do all the clever bits for you.