How to Install Plugins ×

Ed Harvey's FastFx

Ed Harvey

Ed is pleased to announce Fast Effects AKA "FastFx".

Please us this link until @Ed Harvey can change his links:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/ld5k1cqhd98lc10/EdHarvey_Edfects_FastFX_20090519.zip?dl=0

( Here is a version that works with paint.net V4... EdHarvey-FastFx-4-0-5120.zip ) :Warning:  not working

Download here:EdHarvey_Edfects_FastFX_20090519.zip  :Warning:  not working

These are replacements for existing paint.net effects that have been optimised for speed. How much faster? Lots... :D

In practice, most are pretty-much instantaneous with a moderate sized-image and modern machine...

All can be found in the Effects->FastFx menu folder

Fast Blur

• 10 to 200 times faster than 'gaussian blur', depending on radius.
  • Edge handling differs from the paint.net version and this effect does NOT handle alpha 'correctly', otherwise same quality as the built-in effect...

Pencil Sketch

• 15 to 20 times faster.
  • This effect is not exactly the same as the paint.net version, but the results are broadly similar.

Glow

• 8 to 20 times faster.
  • This effect should be visually identical to the paint.net version; although exact pixel values will differ in some places, these differences are small (typically 1 level).

Soften Portrait

• 15 to 40 times faster.
  • This effect should be visually identical to the paint.net version; although exact pixel values will differ in some places, these differences are small (typically 1 level).

Hue / Saturation

• 15 to 50 times faster.
  • This effect is both faster and better behaved than the paint.net version :)

[Edit: since this pack was released, we have incorporated the speed improvements from this version of Hue/Saturation into Paint.Net itself (I can't remember that exact version this change was made, although it was at least a year ago...) The effect remains useful however because it has a different behaviour as described below - we couldn't incorporate that into Paint.Net as it would be a 'breaking change' in functionality :/ ]

For example, here is a spectrum/saturation wedge...

SpectrumSaturation.jpg

If we use paint.net to rotate the hue by 71 everthing is ok.

Hue71.jpg

But if we rotate hue by 71 and increase saturation to 170, things go rather nasty

Hue71Sat170.jpg

If we use the fast version... much better (although not as nice as 'Soft Saturation' ;) )

Fast-Hue71Sat170.jpg

Have fun :D

[edited 2012-01-30: new download link]

• Upvote 1

ed-sig2.png.3c040e8f8a7b22d05fbfbad8e5ea6994.png

I notice that there is FastBlur_x64.dll and FastBlur_x86.dll.

Sorry for being such a dummy, but which one do I need to install along with the EdHarvey.FastFx.dll? sCo_chinscratch.gif

I have 64bit Win7 Home Premium.

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

I notice that there is FastBlur_x64.dll and FastBlur_x86.dll.

Sorry for being such a dummy, but which one do I need to install along with the EdHarvey.FastFx.dll? sCo_chinscratch.gif

Just chuck both of them in there - It will figure out which one it needs :)

( If you really care about the extra 20K or so of disk space... FastBlur_x64.dll for 64 bit, FastBlur_x86.dll for 32 bit )

'pressive!

Gaussian at 200 radius is ~10 times slower than Fast at 250.

Offtopic - does anyone know of a good free benchmarking software (usable for benching PdN and the likes)? Edit by Rick: You're right, that is off topic! Please don't hijack Ed's thread for this. You should know better.

• 1 year later...

Doh! :doh:

The server that hosted these files disappeared in a puff of 'magic smoke' some months ago - I thought I'd redirected all the links, but obviously I overlooked this one :roll:

I've fixed-up the link, so give it another go...

• Upvote 1

So are these fastFX not included in Ed Harvey Effects v 3.5 http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/18811-ed-harvey-effects-v-35/ and if not why not?

The reason that they are not in the main pack is that they are somewhat more experimental, and they duplicate functionality in PdN (albeit faster versions).

These effects trade memory consumption for speed and so it is possible (although generally unlikely) that they could fail in machines with low installed memory, or if the image is very large...

• Upvote 1

Ooops. Apologies all around. Looks like I was off the mark there in regards to this being considered potentially eclipsed (barring the exception of the hue/sat in some ways).

New link works. Much appreciated.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Ooops. Apologies all around. Looks like I was off the mark there in regards to this being considered potentially eclipsed (barring the exception of the hue/sat in some ways).

New link works. Much appreciated.

No worries.

I have been lamentably negligent in checking the forums in recent times... :/

Well, now that is much faster. And I definitely found a use for that version of hue/sat.

And for this dinosaur who cant use the GPU blurs I have at least one for when I decide to push my luck with a large image.

Now if only someone can make splinter blur faster I think I'd be set for a while. (Not hinting, just thinking out loud as its painfully slow for me.)

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Now if only someone can make splinter blur faster I think I'd be set for a while. (Not hinting, just thinking out loud as its painfully slow for me.)

I did have a look at it a while back, but there isn't much that I can do to improve the performance; It's just an expensive effect! :(

• Upvote 1

That's really good to know actually. I kept comparing it to ray tracing (similarity but probably not that close) and since it doesn't use the GPU ...

For every pixel in the effect output it has to examine (#splinters × distance) pixels and, unlike blurs, there are no neat mathematical 'tricks' that one can use to reduce that number :(

• Upvote 2

Appreciate the fix, Ed! Now I can take advantage of my 64-bit computer, unless it doesn't really matter here, and see how fast it whiz!

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi Ed Harvey,

Unfortunately, this link cannot be opened either on the first page or on the last one from 2014. 
If set as Active in the plugin index from May 2018, it still cannot be opened. 
The corresponding message: Error (404)

lifeday

4 hours ago, lifeday said:

Hi Ed Harvey,

Unfortunately, this link cannot be opened either on the first page or on the last one from 2014. 
If set as Active in the plugin index from May 2018, it still cannot be opened. 
The corresponding message: Error (404)

lifeday

Many thanks @lifeday for pointing this out.  I will add a new link on the 1st page, until @Ed Harvey logs in again to change it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ld5k1cqhd98lc10/EdHarvey_Edfects_FastFX_20090519.zip?dl=0

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Dear Pixey!

Wonderful, I have the plugin now and I am very happy. Many thanks to you 

Greetings from Hamburg
lifeday

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...