Unable to install Paint.NET

I have used Paint.NET for several years and it is my most used program of its type. I recently moved to A Windows 7 i7 machine and loading ver. 3.5.2 went without problems. The update to 3.5.3 (or 4) failed, as did 3.5.5. The installer never gets past the first install screen. I uninstalled 3.5.2 but now I can't get it to load. NET. framework 3.5.1 comes with Windows 7, I've checked Windows Module Installer, which is on manual, Used Installer Cleanup (Paint. NET not found) and am running as administrator. Also tried installing as administrator but haven't signed on as full administrator (using "net user administrator /active:yes-no". I can't find out how to "repair" NET in programs and features since NET in Win7 is a feature, not a program. I suppose I try "sfc", which is benign, but may not work for NET. I also suppose I could disable the antispy/virus program and the firewall to see if that could help, but I'm afraid I'm clutching at straws and could use any help or suggestions that I might get from you folks. Thanks,

Well, can you please post the contents of the following log files which will be in the %TEMP% directory (e.g., c:\users\User Name\AppData\Local\Temp):

* PdnSetupShim.log

* PdnMsiInstall.log

* PdnSetupNgenInstall.log

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, can you please post the contents of the following log files which will be in the %TEMP% directory (e.g., c:\users\User Name\AppData\Local\Temp):

* PdnSetupShim.log

* PdnMsiInstall.log

* PdnSetupNgenInstall.log

I've been having the same problem, have tried disabling my anti-virus and the other suggestions in the FAQ but still not able to complete an install of 3.5.5 on Win7 x64. Contents of PdnSetupShim.log below:

--- Paint.NET SetupShim starting, lpCmdLine='/suppressReboot', nCmdShow=10
CoInitialize(NULL) returned 0
pIAA = CoCreateInstance(CLSID_AutomaticUpdates) returned 0
pIAA->Pause() returned 0
Checking OS requirement
   bIsWin7 = true
   bIsVistaSP1 = true
   bIsVista = true
   bIs2003SP2 = true
   bIs2003 = true
   bIsXPSP3 = true
   bIsXP = true
   bResult = true
EnsureOSRequirement() returned 0
Called EnsureTrustedInstallerIsEnabledAsync()
Checking .NET requirement
   bIsNetfx40ClientInstalled = true
   bIsNetfx35SP1Installed = true
   bIsNetfx35SP1ClientInstalled = false
   bIsNetfx20Installed = true
   bIsSupportedNetfxInstalled = true
   bIsNetfxInstallerPresent = true
PreInstallPrompt() returned true
InstallNetfx() returned 0
Launching Paint.NET installer. bRebootRequired=false
Done. nReturnVal=-1073741701
Sleep(1000)
--- Exiting, nReturnVal=c000007b

I've been having the same problem, have tried disabling my anti-virus and the other suggestions in the FAQ but still not able to complete an install of 3.5.5 on Win7 x64. Contents of PdnSetupShim.log below:

I am having the exact same problem installing 3.5.5 on Windows 7 x64. I have read the FAQ repeatedly, (incidentally it is very arrogant to suggest that the information in that post "it always, always solves their problem." )

I successfully installed 3.5.2 which was working up to a point - this could be due to a Windows or .Net patch? Basically, Paint.Net would not load, it would lock up and one of my CPU cores would may out. Trying to uninstall it would produce the same behaviour, but with either SetupNG.exe or SetupFrontEnd.exe. So i used the Windows Uninstall clean up utility to blitz it (as per your recommendation).

Then tried to install 3.5.5 and after granting admin rights, and the installer briefly popping up and successfully extracting files, i hear my machine make a default ping noise and in task manager i can see that SetupFrontEnd.exe is maxing out cpu core once again.

This from the SetupShim log, no others exist.

--- Paint.NET SetupShim starting, lpCmdLine='/suppressReboot', nCmdShow=10
CoInitialize(NULL) returned 0
pIAA = CoCreateInstance(CLSID_AutomaticUpdates) returned 0
pIAA->Pause() returned 0
Checking OS requirement
bIsWin7 = true
bIsVistaSP1 = true
bIsVista = true
bIs2003SP2 = true
bIs2003 = true
bIsXPSP3 = true
bIsXP = true
bResult = true
EnsureOSRequirement() returned 0
Called EnsureTrustedInstallerIsEnabledAsync()
Checking .NET requirement
bIsNetfx40ClientInstalled = false
bIsNetfx35SP1Installed = true
bIsNetfx35SP1ClientInstalled = false
bIsNetfx20Installed = true
bIsSupportedNetfxInstalled = true
bIsNetfxInstallerPresent = true
PreInstallPrompt() returned true
InstallNetfx() returned 0
Launching Paint.NET installer. bRebootRequired=false 

Edited by MikhailCompo

• 2 weeks later...

Can't contribute to this topic other than to add that I cannot install either. I use Windows 7 Professional and had previously installed paint.net 3.5.4. When I saw messages that an update to 3.5.5 was available, I tried to update but next time I restarted, the program still indicated v. 3.5.4. There was no other indication that the update wasn't successful - i.e. no error messages.

I decided to uninstall 3.5.4 and do a fresh install of the newer version. The uninstall was fine, but version 3.5.5 will not install. The installer starts and appears to be extracting files, then there is a brief flash of a new window (too fast to read) and then nothing. There is no indication on my computer that anything was installed (i.e. no directories created, no start menu icon, etc.) and the filenames that appeared to be extracted are not anywhere on the computer. As advised by other messages on the forum I have installed .NET, assured that windows modules installer is not disabled, do not use any 3rd party firewall, virus checking is not an issue and based on sfc scan I do not believe there is anything wrong with any Windows system file.

In my %TEMP% directory there is a folder called pdnsetup dated today but it contains no files and the pdn logs mentioned in this thread above do not exist anywhere.

Help/hints would be appreciated.

• 3 years later...

I have had and used paint.net for about a year now editing sprites for games and one day it decided not to work. I uninstalled it and went to reinstall it and it keep stopping and telling me it encountered a problem during installation.

But right now as I went to install to get the error message, I went and click custom installation and uncheck the box check for automatic updates and it worked... IDK what the heck that was about. I've been trying to get it to work for months and now it works.. Exhausting!!

This is a very, VERY old thread referring to a version of Paint.NET from 2010- back when the Space Shuttle program was still flying.  The program of today is different from the program of back then.  Thanks for the update, but it really isn't relevant to this particular thread.  :-)

If you want to talk more about this, open a new thread because this one is

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.