Paint.NET v3.5.5 Beta released

Okay, I have had an ongoing conversation with Rick about problems I encountered using the beta PDN (that's version 3.5.5 I believe).

For future reference:

-I downloaded the beta version the first day it was posted on the old site.

-My findings are all true, I even provided a screenshot of the bug and sent it to Rick in my first PM.

-I did download the updated versions of pyrochild's plugins when using the beta (Yes, I did read that he said they were only compatible with version 3.5.4; I, turning out to be the beta tester, was curious as to how it would react. Now we know).

Now, on with the PM conversation so you all know what has been going on.

Hello, Rick.

I've found a bug in the recent beta release of Paint.NET. It was not immediately effective as soon as I started Paint.NET, but some where down the road all the text turned into code (except the first few letters in some cases). Almost all text was effected, but a fair bit was not.

Screenie:

167ow7c.jpg

The screenie doesn't show it, but the categories and effect tabs (and their respective names of effects) inside the main tabs were not effected either (i.e. Effects>Render>Mandelbrot Fractal; names such as these were not effected).

I do not know if you've already received reports such as this or not, or if it was just a random error. This type of bug has never happened to me before, so I assume it is the program and not my computer. After restarting Paint.NET I found that the issue was resolved, but I cannot be certain it will not happen again because as I said before the effects of the bug were not immediate.

This is my first ever bug report on anything so I hope I've provided for you enough information to fix the problem.

~SPM3

Rick: Did you run Gaussian Blur at all?
Me: Oh! I did, I hadn't even thought about that...

Rick:

I don't know. I was asking if you'd used Gaussian Blur in hopes you hadn't, which would isolate the problem to the blend modes' code.

If you can get me a set of steps that reproduces the error, that would really help.

Me: I'll try recreating the circumstances as best I can.

Rick:

Any news on that? Even if you don't have scientific steps to repro it, but have seen it again, that is also very useful to know.

(I've been busy with things like, oh, the new forum ... so I haven't looked at the code just yet )

Me: I'm sorry I haven't noticed it. And I haven't been able to recreated it on purpose. Maybe it was just a fluke? I don't know, but I shall do my absolute best at finding what caused the problem, and report my findings to you when the bug arises again. Maybe your partner developers could shed some light on the situation? Anyway, I will notify you if anything else comes up. Until then, I will continue to add flowers to my shrine of Paint.net (by making epic graphiczorz).

Rick: There are no "partner developers." It's just me man.
Me: Oh. I'm sorry. I honestly didn't know you were the only one. Thank you for giving us the gift of Paint.net.

~Weeks Go By~

Me: Okay, the beta version is now becoming incredibly unstable. It crashes when I want to save, use the Hue/Saturation Tool, and seems to just c-r-a-p out randomly. 3 times have I been working on a graphic, been 99% done, and PdN has encountered an error and must close. I gave up trying to remake the darn graphics and just shut it off. Also, I just downloaded pyro's new versions of his plugins and it became increasingly like so. Before this started occurring, Outline Object (pyrochild's) would encounter an error when I immediately bring the radius too full (at least, I think that is why).

However, despite all this bad news I do have an update on the bug before. I did not encounter the same problem, but I noticed I got an error when certain requirements were met. When I used Gaussian Blur on a layer below a layer that has a blend mode, I get an error. I know that doesn't help you narrow the problem down to either one, but maybe it is a sign that both have some flaw.

Rick then tells me to post our PM conversation up here, so... yah.

Please, if anyone can provide any insight it would be much appreciated.

Okay. I've come upon some really weird issues. Aside from some performance issues & crashing (which is normal for a beta), I've noticed some UI problems. I was using an 8 MP image, which I then resized to 800x600 because I wanted to try a new technique & I didn't want to wait forever for it to render. So anyway, after I resized it, I flipped it counter-clockwise, and ran effects>photo>sharpen at 20. I zoomed in to inspect the quality, & I then noticed this (for creative reasons I closed the image I was working on before taking this screenshot. It'll probably be posted here sometime soon, but for now, it's in the editing stage):

error.png

The zoom & fill bar has dropped one level down, becoming half-way hidden in the process. I don't know if this is normal, or a "new" bug for this beta, or?...

Space...The Final Frontier. -James Tiberius Kirk; circa 2260s

YLOD VICTIM

I can't replicate the Gaussian blur error you had. Also, I've been using Paint.NET a fair bit since upgrading (which was the only problem I've noticed), and I've experienced no instability, and all my plugins are fully functional. Again, this is with Vista Home Premium x64.

EDIT: Correction, most of my plugins are fully functional. Codelab for one is not, thanks for asking BoltBait.

Edited by CommanderSozo

Calling PropertyBasedEffectConfigToken.SetPropertyValue(...) an Int32Property with a double does not complain, but calling it on a DoubleProperty with an int throws an exception... Shouldn't it be the other way around? :lol:

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Okay. I've come upon some really weird issues. Aside from some performance issues & crashing (which is normal for a beta) ...

Crash logs? Those are not normal.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Well, the problems were mostly just resource hogging. The rendering was most probably slow because I was using a bunch of other apps at the time (thus this is normal for me), but the only serious thing was a few plugins crashing (they probably just needed updating for v3.5.5 (beta)), & PDN recommended closing. I didn't, & kept painting without issue. Aside from the thing with the tolerance bar dropping a level, I haven't really identified any serious errors. Some plugins just need updating, like Rick said.

YLOD VICTIM

I want to thank you for this great and beautiful looking application which Paint.NET surely is. But...

Could you please consider moving back to dotNet 3.5 ? It is really necessary to use v4.0?

I will propably stick with current Paint.NET 3.5.4 because i don't wanna risk damages to my fresh Windows 7...

I have 3 Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

I extract the msi's with "Paint.NET.3.5.5.Install.exe /createMsi DESKTOPSHORTCUT=0"

Then I apply it in Group Policy.

Then nothing more happen at the clients.

In 3.5.4 and earlier it works perfect.

Has it something to do with the dot NET 4 client ?

I want to thank you for this great and beautiful looking application which Paint.NET surely is. But...

Could you please consider moving back to dotNet 3.5 ? It is really necessary to use v4.0?

I will propably stick with current Paint.NET 3.5.4 because i don't wanna risk damages to my fresh Windows 7...

I don't make engineering decisions based on how scared an individual is of change.

.NET 4 won't "damage" anything. That's just silly.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Rick, perhaps you could wait until you have more experience with .net 4.0 before PDN goes full-time with the it? Or maybe even wait for an update or a service pack or something? There seems to be numerous issues (not that they can't be fixed with some good-old debugging).

YLOD VICTIM

Cool a new framework?

Awesome :D

New mods to my pc is always a welcomed thing

2 questions though

1 Why does the new beta update not show up when I click the check for updates button

"I have it set to show the betas"

2 If I install net 4 on my pc will the old paint.net still run untill I upgrade?

jmc9243.png

I made that with pdn ^^ (but I dont remember how ~_~)

.NET 4 won't "damage" anything. That's just silly.

This isn't completly exact. It was reported dark clouds of pure evil began to surround people's home, and gobelins attacked computers after .Net 4 have been installed by people. Virgins had to be sacrified for that matter. This is a serious thing. Really.

This isn't completly exact. It was reported dark clouds of pure evil began to surround people's home, and gobelins attacked computers after .Net 4 have been installed by people. Virgins had to be sacrified for that matter. This is a serious thing. Really.

This doesn't attract UFOs, right? I can go as far as the second kind, but if .net 4 attracts the third kind or worse ( =O ), I'm waiting for a service pack.

I'm lookin' forward to an update to PDN, too. This beta's become so buggy & annoying (shape3D doesn't work! I can't make any suns or planets without shape3D!), I've already reverted to build 3.5.5.3742 for that matter. It's the best build so far (it still relies on .net 3.5 sp1, not .net 4.0). Better blurring, better zooming, better saving, & every plugin works (Yay for shape3D! :D ). No aliens.

But seriously, greys do terrify me.

Edited by jerry533482

YLOD VICTIM