Competition Ideas

pyrochild

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the landscape competition would be really cool! I know i'm still not very famous on the forum but I' ll be glad to host a comp so you' ll be nice to tell me if you need someone to host :D

Before you can host I would think you need to show that you can follow the rules ( sig battles comes to mind ) :(

• 3 weeks later...

I have an idea for a competition.

How about a "Tutorial of the month" comp ? I'm sure many people have created a tute for themselves but have not posted them in the tutorials publishing only thread incase it get's locked or booted off. One of the admin could watch over the comp and the winner each month has their tutorial posted in the publishing thread. That way everyone here benefits from some new tutes and learns something new to do or create with PDN.

Just a thought :)

<Edit> Nevermind, It has been mentioned previously.

Edited by nitenurse79

ZXCBOoZ.png

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how many people are familiar with the fark website, but they have people photoshop selected images. Maybe you can do the same here, except you'd be "Paint.netting" it.

EDIT:

farkphotoshop.png

So basically it would work like the reskinning competition, only that you're free to do whatever you want to the image - not just reskin or recolor.

Edited by jim100361

A good idea jim, but just look at how many comps are stalling due to lack of participants :| It's the same thing, no one wants comps to die off / fade away, but there is only ever a hand full of people entering them, I know that you can't make people enter comps, but it's a catch 22 situation. Members want comps, but members won't join in. SOTW used to get far more entrants before, as did the Logo / Banner comp.

It's a members forum, so let's see more getting involved and showing off their creations by entering the comps we have now :)

ZXCBOoZ.png

Jim you spawned my interest.

Actually, the entries to Fark quite often look like low-brow Surrealism. Rafroller skinned his car with what looked liked an orange rind. So why not? If he could of put it in a different environment, I think he would have. See them hanging in a tree?

I think we would use more of the tools/plugins available and therefore be more funner. :lol:

SloppySig.png

I wondered what would arrive if the competition was limited by time. I.e. "What can you create from a blank canvas in 15 seconds flat?"

:) No limits except time. Any theme, style, size and plugins allowed. Think that the importing of stocks would have to be disallowed because we might get this:

Step 1: Open Paint.NET

Step 2: Ctrl + V

Step 3: Save

Finished.

What would make it cool is for one of the rules stating that you must use pyrochilds excellent Random Effect plug-in, somewhere during the creation of your entry. It would be easy to spot any entry that claims to use the effect (and didn't) because of how random (hence the name) the plug-in is :)

ZXCBOoZ.png

Nitenurse, There's a Random Effect Image Game in The Grand Theory of Everything.

The Images are a lot different from most I think.

http://forums.getpai...ect-image-game/

I'm not talking about a game, I mean using it as part of the rules of a comp, the rule would state you have to use the random effect as part of your final entry.

Plus that "game" has not had an entry since September 2011.

Edited by nitenurse79

ZXCBOoZ.png

I like the idea of just limiting the time (i.e. I know I can create a dished button in about 10 sec flat).

The purpose of this comp would be to lock down your particular technique 100%.

Think that the steps used should form part of the entry. Hence the ability to reproduce the creation is a must.

• 1 month later...

I read through most of this thread, has some really great ideas for activities and contests. :D Forgive me if someone already mentioned this idea but how about a "Best Paint.net Wallpaper Contest" or just a regular "Best Wallpapers Contest" that offers users a great way to express their unique creative styles while also promoting Paint.net in the process.

:D

RFX5A1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How about a plugin-based competition where you are given a short list of plugins, tools*, adjustments, effects, etc that are allowed in your entry as well as a theme (no stocks images unless provided by the competition host). Basic anti-alias plugin always allowed.

Theme examples:

-create a planet using only the tools menu and layers. Minimum image dimensions: 100x100

-design a signature with only the text tool, clouds, and polar inversion. Image dimensions restricted to 150x500

-make a desktop wallpaper with only the line tool, and layers. Minimum image dimensions: 800x600

-edit (insert image) using only ___# effects of your choice. Image dimensions restricted to original image size

-create an avatar in six steps (screenshot of history window required)

...and so forth.

*I added tools to the restrictions because we have people like aislin who can whip up a crazy piece of art using only the brush, line, and paintbucket :PSelection and move tool should always be allowed.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo