Competition Ideas

pyrochild

Competition Ideas

If an idea is accepted, the person who suggested it will be promoted to Competition Host. If he/she declines, an existing Host may volunteer to run the contest.

If no current Host wants to run the new competition, anyone may volunteer or nominate someone else. The final decision is not a democracy; the decision rests with the forum staff. No arguing, whining, complaining.

Please, keep your ideas reasonably intelligent.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Excitement.

I have an idea.

A weekly/monthly contest for the best 3D realistic object/landscape of a theme. The Ash 3D Competition? Just an idea.

Shape3D can be used but it wouldn't be a requirement. The main objective would be realism.

Edited by 0(-.-)0

4501470889_5a71ed4d66_o.png

- Any thoughts? -

I like MonkeyFace's suggestion ... and the name of itbut fortnightly/ monthly would be better due to the amount of work some will put into it ?

I agree!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

I would like to run a modified version of the Monthly Skinning Competition. Instead of doing something as big as an entire operating system, chat client, or email client, I'd like to make it weekly and focus on certain elements of those programs. For instance, Weekly Skinning Competition: Task Bar, or Inbox.

Additionally, I'd like to revive Large Art of the Week.

And Lastly, does this deserve its own subforum? Why not place it under The Pictorium or the Grand Theory of Everything?

signature.png

Instead of writing the entire thing out for a third time, this is from a PM I sent to Pyro the other day about some ideas I had about expanding the comps. This morning I get this ominous PM......You are in so much trouble...... =O . j/k :D Thanks to the Admin staff for the chance at being a comp host. I am honored and will try to conduct myself in a reasonably professional manner. (That is going to be so very hard)

Anyway here are some ideas I have been rolling around in the old pumpkin, you will notice that some of us think alike!

Here are a few ideas I have....These are for competitions, because I think more people would enter if they had a comp that was more in line with what they like to do with PdN.

Photomanip of the week. Theme will be 2 photos chosen by winner of last comp. Entries will have to use both images and manipulate them into a new image. Example would be a photo of a parrot and a photo of an alligator. A person could combine the parrot and the alligator into a single animal or have the alligator with wings, or the parrot with a big mouth full of teeth. It could even be a landscape and a car. Someone could make the car into flowers and fill part of the landscape with pretty flowers. See? How cool would that be?

Space scape/scene of the week. Well duh? Do I need to say more? How many entries would be in that one? A whole freakin bunch, that's how many !

Texture of the week- Part 1 and 2. This is a two week comp. The first week is all about the textures. All entries will be a texture someone makes in PdN, and the top two are used in the second week. The second week everyone has to use the two winning textures in an original image. Let's say the winning textures are wood and metal. Everyone would get a copy of each of the textures to make something out of them like a door with a metal door knob ( I know boring example). As long as they use both textures, they can make anything they want. Cool eh?

Abstract of the week. This would be a lot like the WOTW, but would have a more simple theme, like a color scheme or an object like orbs, triangles, etc. or maybe even a style, like folk art or Art Deco. I don't know, I need some suggestions on this.

Weird of the week. Surreal art ! Crazy/funny/out of this world kind of stuff. Like what AFG and I do.

Best Image of the week. Anything and everything will be allowed. No theme needed. Anyone can enter anything they made in the last week or have not yet submitted on the forum.

There was more, but I'll save that for another day..... I'd love to hear your comments on this. I'm sure that someone will have a better way of doing some of these.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

You have a good point, Welsh.

Also, Possum, those are all great ideas but some of them could just be themes. I especially like the idea of a photo manip contest. The winner choses the picture to manip and the best manip of the picture wins. Special themed manips for holidays? Rick Brewster manip where you manip BMW's? Hmmm...

Mike Ryan, that sounds extremely cool but there would have to be a link to a tutorial or a tutorial itself on how to skin those things. I for one have no idea. Anywho, excitement.

Finally, I reason this deserves a sub-forum of its own is because (in my opinion) competitions push people to do their best. They can teach you new techniques and skills. Plus healthy competition...

Excitement...

- Any thoughts? -

A weekly/monthly contest for the best 3D realistic object/landscape of a theme.

Do you want to run this?

we could add the Pixel Competition here

Do you want to run this?

I would like to run a modified version of the Monthly Skinning Competition. Instead of doing something as big as an entire operating system, chat client, or email client, I'd like to make it weekly and focus on certain elements of those programs. For instance, Weekly Skinning Competition: Task Bar, or Inbox.

Go for it!

And Lastly, does this deserve its own subforum? Why not place it under The Pictorium or the Grand Theory of Everything?

By giving competitions a dedicated forum, the hope is to have them more noticeable to new forum members and encourage more participation.
Anyway here are some ideas I have been rolling around in the old pumpkin, you will notice that some of us think alike!
You're already a Host; if you want to go ahead and start a couple of these, you can. Probably not all at once, though! I think for now we'll try to keep it to no more than 10 active comps at any 1 time, otherwise entries will just be diluted.

My suggestion is to revive this contest:

Go for it!

xZYt6wl.png

As Axle said, I'd be happy to revive the Pixel Competition, as long as we can organise it a little better this time. I would offer to host it again, as my life is a lot less busy now, however seeing as Axle already appears to have taken responsibility, I'll leave it to him to decide the best way to revive the competition.

I would be willing to run "Texture of the Week" if Possum doesn't mind. And of course, if Pyrochild doesn't mind!

As Axle said, I'd be happy to revive the Pixel Competition, as long as we can organise it a little better this time.

Oh, it's your competition? Go for it.

xZYt6wl.png

I do not know, I will have to think it over. PM me if you have any ideas.

BTW, Pyrochild approved, so I am free to set it up when I have an idea.

Oh, it's your competition? Go for it.

While the generosity is appreciated, as I said; Axle displayed an interest first, and so I believe he should have all the choices.

TOTW = Tutorial of The week??...

but all these ideas you guys have come up with is too specific.. example SpaceScapeOTW.. too specifix it could be a weekly theme under WallpaperOTW...

A few are too specific but there are a good many good ideas. I especially like the idea of texture of the week...

As for tutorial of the week, tutorial of the month might be more appropriate due to time constraints and quality. Maybe the top winners of the other competitions could be entered in the contest and the best tutorial out of those could be stickied/pinned :D

Just a thought...

- Any thoughts? -

A few are too specific but there are a good many good ideas. I especially like the idea of texture of the week...

As for tutorial of the week, tutorial of the month might be more appropriate due to time constraints and quality. Maybe the top winners of the other competitions could be entered in the contest and the best tutorial out of those could be stickied/pinned :D

Just a thought...

I like your idea for Tutorial of the Week, what do you think IAO?

And I like the idea of Texture of the Week, also. It will be fun. As soon as I find a theme!

Do you mind if I post a thread listing pre-competition forum themes that have been done before to make it easier for me to check that my theme ideas are unique (enough)?

KaHuc.png

Yessir.

Go!

but all these ideas you guys have come up with is too specific.. example SpaceScapeOTW.. too specifix it could be a weekly theme under WallpaperOTW...

I disagree. Spacescapes are very popular; there would never be any shortage of entries. And there are tons of possible themes just within the spacescape category. Stars, galaxies, black holes, space battles, planets, asteroid fields, etc.

Do you mind if I post a thread listing pre-competition forum themes that have been done before to make it easier for me to check that my theme ideas are unique (enough)?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but sure...

xZYt6wl.png

By giving competitions a dedicated forum, the hope is to have them more noticeable to new forum members and encourage more participation.

You're already a Host; if you want to go ahead and start a couple of these, you can. Probably not all at once, though! I think for now we'll try to keep it to no more than 10 active comps at any 1 time, otherwise entries will just be diluted.

Agreed. I would like to host no more than two comps so I can concentrate on them, do a good job on them, and also have the time to enter others. I think we have many so people interested in hosting a comp, if I only host one, that would be fine with me. I will be glad to do whatever needs to be done to make this a success.

However, if no one else wants it, I would appreciate doing Abstract of the Week. We have a lot of great abstract artists, (Oma, Sokagirl, AFG, come to mind) that tend to be left out of the WOTW and SOTW comps. This will also give some of the noobies a chance to get their feet wet in a comp, as not everyone will enter every week.

I love the idea of the 3D object/realistic comp. Much better than my weird art or best image of the week ideas. (what was I thinking?)

Go!

I disagree. Spacescapes are very popular; there would never be any shortage of entries. And there are tons of possible themes just within the spacescape category. Stars, galaxies, black holes, space battles, planets, asteroid fields, etc.

I agree ! I bet this will be the most popular comp of all.

Edited by Possum Roadkill

Hey contest hosters! We've got mod powers over each other's threads. I don't want this feature removed, but hosters shouldn't abuse this, either!

signature.png

Hey contest hosters! We've got mod powers over each other's threads. I don't want this feature removed, but hosters shouldn't abuse this, either!

Not full powers, however, while we can delete them, we can't edit eachothers' posts.

KaHuc.png

Agreed. I will use my powers for goodness and justice.

Seriously, I agree. I will only get involved in someone else's comp if asked. I plan on being a participant as much as a host.

Mike, I realy don't know much about a skinning comp, do you have any info about it? Would this also include things like media players?