How to Install Plugins ×

Photoshop PSD file plugin (newest version: 2.5.0)

taoyue

I saved a few images as .psds but when I reopened them, the images no longer had layers. Is there a way to fix that?

When working in Paint.NET, always (and I really mean ALWAYS) save a copy of your work in .PDN format.

THEN, if desired, export your work in another format.

I saved a few images as .psds but when I reopened them, the images no longer had layers. Is there a way to fix that?

No, once layers are gone, they're gone.

The PSD file plugin ignores empty layers, but no other layers should be lost. If they are, then something is going wrong.

If you could send me a .PDN file that, when loaded in, will reproduce the problem with PSD layers, I'd be happy to look at it. My email address is on the Codeplex page: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

Edited by taoyue

Hello, I need some help.

I need to open some layered psd files. I downloaded the plug-in and checked it is in the correct spot. I also rebooted to see that would help. When I go to open a file I get is incorrect format or a text instruction file I assume the person file I need to open added.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Kimber

Hello, I need some help.

I need to open some layered psd files. I downloaded the plug-in and checked it is in the correct spot. I also rebooted to see that would help. When I go to open a file I get is incorrect format or a text instruction file I assume the person file I need to open added.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Kimber

Are you double-clicking on the file? Open Paint.NET and try File-Open instead.

If neither Sarkut nor I have guessed the problem, then please give every step you took (at the "I clicked on this, then I typed this" level of detail), as well as the exact text of every error message you see. Right now, you didn't give enough specifics to figure out what happened. If running Windows 7, you could also open the Start menu and type "Record steps" to automate the process and generate a ZIP file with all the steps you took -- then attach this file to your forum post.

Are you double-clicking on the file? Open Paint.NET and try File-Open instead.

If neither Sarkut nor I have guessed the problem, then please give every step you took (at the "I clicked on this, then I typed this" level of detail), as well as the exact text of every error message you see. Right now, you didn't give enough specifics to figure out what happened. If running Windows 7, you could also open the Start menu and type "Record steps" to automate the process and generate a ZIP file with all the steps you took -- then attach this file to your forum post.

Thank you for the quick reply. I have attached a windows media file recording of what I am doing step by step.

Thank you for the quick reply. I have attached a windows media file recording of what I am doing step by step.

I assume this means you tried both suggestions and neither of them was it. I also assume you're running a version of Windows that's earlier than Windows 7 -- the Problem Steps Recorder is superior to a screen recording, as it includes additional diagnostic information. If neither is true, please try them first.

I do not see any attachment. This forum has a 256 KB max; how big is the file? If it's under 25 MB, you can email it to me. My email address is at the top of the main Codeplex page for the plugin: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/ Please send me one email with the attachment, and one email without the attachment. Large attachments sometimes get blocked -- sending two emails means I know to look for it.

I assume this means you tried both suggestions and neither of them was it. I also assume you're running a version of Windows that's earlier than Windows 7 -- the Problem Steps Recorder is superior to a screen recording, as it includes additional diagnostic information. If neither is true, please try them first.

I do not see any attachment. This forum has a 256 KB max; how big is the file? If it's under 25 MB, you can email it to me. My email address is at the top of the main Codeplex page for the plugin: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/ Please send me one email with the attachment, and one email without the attachment. Large attachments sometimes get blocked -- sending two emails means I know to look for it.

I attached a zip file but I did not notice it is too big. :roll: I am going to take the file out again and start over. I worked with graphics for 10 years so I get how to put it in the correct file however we all mistakes. I will update if the file I can't get it to work. Thank you for your time.

Is there a way to make it so that the .psd file is just like a regular .psd file? I can't edit it the same way. The layers are there and I can modify it but when working with the font/design I'd need to guess what font is used and start from scratch.

Paint.NET does not yet support text layers, so when a PSD with text layers is opened, they are converted to bitmap layers.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Excuse me , I'm new in this Paint.net . I didn't have any trouble download and install other plugins except for Normal Map plugin . So can anyone teach me how to ? Thanks .boltbait.smile.png

signaturel0.jpg

Hi.

I'm working on a very high-res project (approximately 4000x3000 px) with 7 layers. Whenever I attempt to save it in PSD format, I get the message: "There was an unspecified error while saving the file." I very much need to save my project in PSD format. Any suggestions? Thanks; and nice plug-in, by the way.

Edited by KeyLogic

Excuse me , I'm new in this Paint.net . I didn't have any trouble download and install other plugins except for Normal Map plugin . So can anyone teach me how to ? Thanks .boltbait.smile.png

This thread is for a completely different plugin. Try posting your query in the thread related to the NormalMapPlus plugin Here. Note that there are several versions of the NormalMap plugin, the one I have linked to is the most recent.

• 1 month later...

Version 1.6.0 of the plugin has just been posted to Codeplex: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

This release fixes a longstanding bug with layer masks that caused complex PSD files to load in as garbage. Layer mask loading has also been parallelized.

In addition, hidden layers are no longer set to visible on save.

As always, please keep sending in those bug reports. The more PSD files I can collect to exercise the edge cases, the more thoroughly I can test the plugin.

--

Sorry for not responding to the most recent posts on this thread. My spam filter apparently decided to filter out notifications of thread activity.

To KeyLogic: If you're still watching this thread, please send me a .PDN version of a file that will trigger the problem. My email address is listed on the Codeplex page. Anything smaller than about 25 MB will get through. I've saved PSD files that are bigger than that. So I need the image to be able to investigate.

On editable text: This is the sort of thing that really needs to be available natively in the program. Simon Brown's editable text plugin uses steganography to store the text information in the layer -- clever, but super-super hacky.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a problem that I posted to the Troubleshooting & Bug Reporting forum. After getting some suggestions w/no positve result, the moderater said I was in the wrong forum and closed the topic there and sent me here. Here's the initial entry...

"I'm trying to use PDN to open a file from Eaglesoft to repaint their aircraft for Flight Simulator. The file is named ESDG_X_fuse1.psd. When I try to open it in PDN, I get a Paint.NET error message that says, "There was an unspecified error while opening the file." It opens fine in another paint program I have, but that program isn't a good enough program to do the paint I want to do. Your's is, but I can't get past this error message. Am I doing something wrong or do I need some kind of plug-in or what? Help! "

I was told I needed the plug-in that is the topic of this forum. It was already in the File Types folder, but, in case that wasn't the correct one, I replaced it with the latest from the website. That didn't fix the problem. I was told to check to see if the PDN program had the ability to Save As .psd...it does. Then it was suggested that maybe I didn't have the memory necessary to completely load the file w/all the layers. I repsonded that it loads fine in PhotoShopPro and I can see all the layers there. That leads me to believe that memory is not the problem and that there's no problem with the .psd file either.

Any ideas why PDN can't load this file and just presents me with the error message and what I can do to fix it?

Memory may very well be the problem. Professional artists often make extensive use of partial layers in Photoshop. I've seen PSD files with thousands of layers.

Paint.NET, however, does not have partial layers. Every layer in Paint.NET is the same size as the full image. You can see how Paint.NET might run out of memory on a certain image that loads up fine in another program.

To check whether memory is the cause of the problem, open up Task Manager and try to load the file. It's pretty obvious -- you'll see memory consumption for Paint.NET shoot up to almost the total memory you have on your PC. Also, since you say it opens in another program (I assume you mean Paint Shop Pro, not PhotoShopPro?), you can count up how many layers are there. I bet it's more than a hundred.

If this is the cause of the problem, Adobe does offer a 30-day trial of Photoshop on their website. Photoshop Elements is also not that expensive.

But if you've performed both these steps and memory is not the cause of the problem, send me the file and I can investigate further. My email address is listed on the Codeplex page for the plugin; I can accept attachments up to 25 MB in size.

Edited by taoyue

• 3 months later...

Could you supply a PSD file that demonstrates the problem? I cannot reproduce this issue by adding guides to a PSD file that already loaded properly into Paint.NET.

Guides are implemented in the PSD file format as an image resource. The plugin only attempts to process PSD image resources that it understands, and to ignore the others. So it's relatively unlikely that guides would cause a problem.

Of course, there are always edge conditions and unanticipated situations. But it's also possible that there's some other issue with the file that happened to coincide with the use of guides.

I can't reproduce that problem either. After creating an empty PSD file in Photoshop (with or without adding empty layers on top of the background), it loads fine into Paint.NET.

If you can supply a PSD file that triggers the problem, I can investigate further.

I can't reproduce that problem either. After creating an empty PSD file in Photoshop (with or without adding empty layers on top of the background), it loads fine into Paint.NET.

If you can supply a PSD file that triggers the problem, I can investigate further.

I'm not sure about latest versions but in CS2 "background" layer can not be transparent. File shouldn't contain "background" layer to reproduce this crash. Only additional layers. :)

test.zip

Edited by Serissa

Thanks for the repro.

This is a very interesting edge case that you've turned up. I'll have to add some special-casing for images with no background layer. Should be in the next version. (If you send me a PM with your email address, I can give you a private build before then, to test with.)

Edited by taoyue

• 1 month later...

Having a PSD problem here. I'm using the updated plugin and Pdn 3.5.8. I've recently been playing with Sculptris from the Zbrush Central website . In Paint - mode of the program there's an option to export a PSD, edit it, and import it back in to be added to your models texture, which would be a lot of fun, except PDN does not seam to open the document right. It's missing a layer, and I've tried to add a layer and rename, but then Sculptris won't except it. Gimp seems to be able to open and save it fine, except I don't know Gimp. Yes I can use copy and paste between the programs to do for now, however I was hoping someone from here could take a look into this, and at least post your findings, as it's very possible that the problem is not from PDN or the plugin, but from the export from Sculptris, which is still an alpha. Thanks for your time.post-83979-130905144535_thumb.jpg

Here's a link t document in question, sorry filesize.....

No, the problem is with the plugin, which was originally written to skip all empty layers. I've since changed this behavior to load in all layers, but this was done in April 2011 and the 1.6.0 release is from December 2010. I still have some things to complete before the next release, but if you PM me your email address, I can send you a private build to use in the interim.

There seems to be another problem with this file that you didn't mention: the circle looks gray in Paint.NET but green in Photoshop. This is because the "shade" layer uses the "hard light" blend mode, which does not exist in Paint.NET. This problem is still going to exist -- but perhaps it's not a problem for your particular use case.