Photo

Photoshop PSD file plugin (newest version: 2.4.1)

153 replies to this topic

#101 taoyue

taoyue
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

Hi Yacine,

Thank you for the bug report.

This particular file runs into three different issues:

1. The file has too many layers to load into Paint.NET.  Because Photoshop has partial layers and Paint.NET doesn't, files with lots of layers will blow up enormously in memory consumption when loaded into Paint.NET.  This particular file has 1279 layers, with pixel dimensions of 6200 x 3716.  At 4 bytes per pixel, it would require 118 GB of RAM to load into Paint.NET.

2. Layer index 472 contains both a user mask and a vector mask.  The PSD plugin does not properly handle this situation.  This is what's causing the "erreur non spécifiée."

3. The file has malformed layer groups.  The webpage hosting the file states that it was created in Photoshop CS6 beta -- which probably explains the bug.  I'm still using CS4, which produces a warning message: "Some groups were found corrupted and repaired."

I can fix problem 2 and ignore the error in problem 3, but you still won't be able to load the file unless you have more than 118 GB of RAM.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help you directly.  However, once I fix 2 and 3, at least they won't prevent other people from loading similar files -- that is, files with fewer layers.

Attached Thumbnails

• psd-corrupted-groups.png

#102 bmdetter

bmdetter
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hi All,

New to Paint.net.  Trying to load this plugin.  When I go to "Open" .psd is not an option.  Am I missing something?

#103 taoyue

taoyue
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Close Paint.NET, open the ZIP file that you downloaded, copy the Photoshop.dll file to the C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes folder, then restart Paint.NET.

If you do not have a FileTypes folder, you can try creating one.  However, in my experience, this rarely works, because it usually indicates a Paint.NET installation that somehow went corrupt.

#104 taoyue

taoyue
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Version 2.3 of the Paint.NET PSD Plugin has been released: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

Changes:

• Fixed load failure when two masks are present on a layer -- a raster mask and a vector mask.
    • If the vector mask is present in rasterized form, then it will also be applied to the image.
    • Unfortunately, complex Photoshop files often do not contain a rasterized form of the vector mask.
    • However, simpler files will now mask accurately when loaded into Paint.NET.
  • Fixed load failure for files with East Asian layer names, on a system set to an East-Asian codepage. This affects: Simplified Chinese (GB), Traditional Chinese (Big5), Japanese (Shift-JIS), and Korean.
  • Fixed bug that caused some 16- and 32-bit depth images to load in as flattened images, without layers.

#105 GeorgeR

GeorgeR
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

In images that are converted from 8bit to 16bit in photoshop, the alphas are 16bit, but stored with RLE encoding. Is it possible to add RLE (read) support for 16bit channels?

edit: Indeed it seems that even images created as 16bit encode ImageData with RLE compression. It doesn't make a lot of sense for 16bit but hey that's what they did! Photoshop CS6 by the way.

Attached is a sample.

Attached Files

Edited by GeorgeR, 30 January 2013 - 01:40 AM.

#106 taoyue

taoyue
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

Hi George,

The PSD plugin can already read RLE-compressed alpha channels.  Compression is handled independently of bit-depth.

The problem is that there is no corresponding concept in a Paint.NET document.  What Photoshop refers to as "alpha channels" are actually used as masks, as selections, or to designate spot color.  They do not form part of any layer image, and are instead stored globally for the file.  Although they show up on the "Channels" palette along with RGB, they behave quite differently.

Paint.NET does not have saved masks, or saved selections, or spot color.  I suppose I could have the PSD plugin load the "alpha" channels into hidden layers, as grayscale images.  But then the question becomes -- what would you do with them?

#107 GeorgeR

GeorgeR
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:32 AM

That's a good point, I suppose they're not of much use in Paint.NET.

#108 RFX

RFX

2013 Howard Hughes Award Winner

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

Worked perfectly! Thanks so much taoyue for creating (and updating) this as it's super useful! :D

rfxban10.png

home10.jpgmedia10.jpgaudio10.jpggames10.jpgcontac10.jpg

#109 taoyue

taoyue
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

You're welcome. :-)

However, I cannot claim to have created the plugin.  Frank Blumenberg created the plugin, and I've been maintaining it since 2010.  At this point, I'd estimate that I'm responsible for about 50-60% of the code in the PSD plugin.

(According to source control, 19.4% of the lines in the code have not been changed since 2010. Of the remaining 80.6%, subtract 20-30% for trivial changes such as renamed variables.)

Also, thanks are due to you, the users, for reporting bugs and suggesting features. There are a lot of other open-source PSD libraries floating around, but very few of them have this kind of engaged userbase. There are tens of thousands of users exercising the PSD Plugin code everyday, loading all sorts of files with it.

#110 xxeevee

xxeevee
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

This didn't do ANYTHING! i downloaded it, went into local :disc: , went to program files, went to Paint.NET , went to file types and placed the dll file there. Now what? am i missing anything? is that it? its not working. Please help D:

Edited by xxeevee, 24 February 2013 - 01:03 AM.

#111 Red ochre

Red ochre

2013 Plugin of the Year Author

• Members
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationSurrey, England

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

When you go to 'save as' and look in the drop down list of file types, you should be able to save as a .PSD file and subsequently open in Photoshop. Or, more usefully open .PSD files in paint.net. :).

Hope that helps

glasssig.png
Red ochre Plugin pack............................................................... Diabolical Drawings

#112 Zephyr

Zephyr
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Hello, I'm having trouble with a PSD file for a Proboards forum theme.

I know it's not a memory issue. I checked and the CPU never went above 10, and the usage was maybe 35,000k.

I'm attaching the file. The theme comes in multiple colors, the logo.psd file in them all has this problem. I'm just uploading the blue one, however. I put it as 7z because it would be too large otherwise.

Lastly, I'm using 2.3.0 of the plugin.

It doesn't look like the attachment is working. So here is a MediaFire link to the theme itself. The logo.psd is located here:
blackglassgreen -> bg grads

http://www.mediafire...fer4tmiirwlrkhz

Edited by Zephyr, 10 April 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#113 taoyue

taoyue
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

What kind of trouble are you having?  The file loads fine.

Paint.NET does not have layer effects, so the drop shadow and embossing are missing.  However, the rest of the image looks correct.

#114 Zephyr

Zephyr
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

Logo.psd does? It sure isn't in mine. I go to the "BG Grad" folder, drag logo.psd onto Paint.net. BAM error. "There was an unspecified error while opening the file." Would the version matter? It says: v3.36 (final release build 3.36.3158.38068) The only other thing I could say would be the problem is that it didn't download correctly for me. But all of the other files in it are fine, and WinRAR doesn't give me any kind of error when I open the Zip.

#115 taoyue

taoyue
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

You should be running the latest version, which is 3.5.10.

Only the latest version of Paint.NET is supported.  This goes for plugins as well.  (This policy makes development substantially easier, as the presence of new features can be taken for granted.)

#116 Ego Eram Reputo

Ego Eram Reputo

2013 Proton Award Winner

• Moderators
  • 7,915 posts
  • LocationNorth Canterbury, New Zealand

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

^ +1

Would the version matter? It says: v3.36 (final release build 3.36.3158.38068) 

Yes.  It's critical to have the latest release.

#117 leesumm

leesumm
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

Downloaded newest version of paint.net and Photoshop PSD file plugin. Started paint.net, but when I try dragging or opening a .psd file; programs says it is not a recognized file type??

#118 pdnnoob

pdnnoob

2013 Radiance Award Winner

• Moderators
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

Make sure you've installed the plugin properly (be sure you put the file in the filetypes folder and not the effects folder).
noobsig-1.png
what I do all summer Emote Cursor Pack 'noob gallery
No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait
Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

#119 Patrick Dreier

Patrick Dreier
  • Newbies
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

Hello!

Net framework 4.5

Paint.NET v3.5.10 (Final Release build 3.510.4297.28964)

Paint Net PSD Plugin 2.3.0 http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/
I have download PSD Plugin and copy Photoshop.dll into  C:\Program Files\Design Software\Paint.NET\FileTypes\Photoshop.dll.

PSD Plugin has function.
When replace file this is not in the listings.

I have copy the PSD file from latest Adobe Photoshop Trial version to Paint Net photoshop.dll.
Paint C:\Program Files\Design Software\Paint.NET\FileTypes\photoshop.dll

I have shoot down Paint Net v3.5.10 (Final Release build 3.510.4297.28964) PSD file from open filelist.

With king regards!

:orborange:

#120 Ego Eram Reputo

Ego Eram Reputo

2013 Proton Award Winner

• Moderators
  • 7,915 posts
  • LocationNorth Canterbury, New Zealand

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

That's right.  The plugin allows you to Open and Save PSD files.  

I'm not quite sure why you're trying to copy into the DLL??  Or have we lost something in translation?