Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
taoyue

Photoshop PSD file plugin (newest version: 2.4.1)

187 posts in this topic

Could you update the plugin to support PDN 4.0. PDN is not detecting this plugin.

Could you update the plugin to support PDN 4.0. PDN is not detecting this plugin.

The Author of this plugin has not logged in since November 12. 2013. I would assume an update might be unlikely ;)

I've just tried it.  The plugin opened two *.psd files flawlessly using PDN 4.0.

@DeathTBO - please give us a step-by-step guide to what you're trying to do.

Edit:  you dropped the *.dll into Paint.NET/Filetypes/ right?

@Ego Eram Reptuo

Step 1, drag file into Paint.NET\Filetypes\

Step 2, start Paint.Net

I am not sure why, but when I attempt to open a file with the .psd file extension it gives me an error: "The image type is not recognized, and cannot be opened." I opened the new settings menu and went to the plugin errors tab. The plugin does not appear in the list. I then attempted to save a file as a .psd, but because it does not show up in the list, it goes right back to .png. I now see he has not been on in a long time.

Too bad he didn't release the source code, I would have liked to take a look at it.

I am not sure why, but when I attempt to open a file with the .psd file extension it gives me an error: "The image type is not recognized, and cannot be opened." I opened the new settings menu and went to the plugin errors tab. The plugin does not appear in the list. I then attempted to save a file as a .psd, but because it does not show up in the list, it goes right back to .png. I now see he has not been on in a long time.

Too bad he didn't release the source code, I would have liked to take a look at it.

What version of the plugin are you using?

The source code is available from the plugin page on codeplex.

I suspect that the file is corrupt or has features this plugin does not support.  Have you tried opening other *.psd files?

I then attempted to save a file as a .psd, but because it does not show up in the list, it goes right back to .png.

Doesn't sound like you have the plugin installed properly.

Version 2.4.1 of the Paint.NET PSD Plugin has been released: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

This version requires Paint.NET 4.0.

Changes:

• Fixed: regression in 2.4.0 that caused loading failures for files created in earlier versions of the plugin.
  • Handles null-terminators on Unicode alpha channel names, a quirk in Photoshop that does not apply to non-Unicode alpha channel names or to other strings. The
  • Files with null blending ranges can now be saved out successfully.

Please note: There is a performance regression in Paint.NET 4.0 when loading files with a large number of layers.  If you regularly load files with more than 100 layers, you may wish to stay on Paint.NET 3.5.11 and delay upgrading until the problem has been fixed.

@Ego Eram Reptuo

Step 1, drag file into Paint.NET\Filetypes\

Step 2, start Paint.Net

Hmm, Ego Eram Reptuo asked if you dropped the DLL into the FileTypes folder, but you just mentioned copying the "file".  But which file?

That makes me wonder if maybe you copied the ZIP file into the FileTypes folder.  That would not work.

You should open the ZIP file and copy Photoshop.dll into C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes

I just tried downloading this and installing it 4-5 different times.  Every time with the program completely shut down.  I used the old plugin and it always worked great, but now it literally isn't showing up at all when I install it.  I'm using Windows 8 - is this a possible bug of some kind?  I've never had a problem with any of my paint.net plugins not showing up before, this is definitely a first.

1. Are you unzipping the download?

2. Are you placing the unzipped DLL into paint.net/file types/ ?

3. Post a screenshot showing this location and the files in it.

4. Post a screenshot of your list of file extensions from the load/save dialog.

I extracted the zip file into the filetype folder. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Step 1, download the latest version from codeplex.

Step 2, extract the file.

Step 3, copy the dll into the Paint.net\File Types\ directory.

Step 4a, I start Paint.net, and attempt to save a file as a psd There isn't an option in the load/save dialog, unable to save as a psd.

Step 4b, I attempt to open an existing psd, it provides me with an error: "The image type is not recognized, and cannot be opened."

I did try this with the version 2.4 as well as the new release 2.4.1 (see above). It is impossible for me to have installed this wrong (I was using it, updated to PDN 4.0, now it's not working).

I extracted the zip file into the filetype folder. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Step 3, copy the dll into the Paint.net\File Types\ directory.

It is not the "filetype" folder, and it is not the "File Types" folder.  It's "FileTypes" -- plural, PascalCased, with no space.

These little details matter, because they are the sort of thing that will prevent the PSDPlugin from being recognized.  It's unclear if you did the right thing and made a typo, or if you did the wrong thing and described it accurately.  You may think that we're asking if you made mistakes that you can't possibly make -- after all, the folder already exists!  But we're not trying to give you a hard time.  We're just trying to rule out things that we've seen before -- sometimes the folder got deleted by some kind of overzealous filesystem cleaner.

Could you go there in Windows Explorer, switch it to Details view, take a screenshot, then post it on this forum?  That way, we know for sure that there isn't a typo, and we can also spot-check a couple of other things.

Finally, could you send me a ProcMon trace?  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx
  1. Start ProcMon and click OK.
  2. Start Paint.NET and do a File-Open.  Verify that the other filetype plugin shows up, but Photoshop doesn't show up.
  3. Switch back to ProcMon and stop the trace (Ctrl-E), then save it.

If you'd prefer not to post the trace on a public forum, you could also email it to me.  My email address is on the Codeplex page.

I made a typo. I am a c# programmer and I understand how all of this works. I have other plugins that do work in the \FileTypes\ folder, PDN wont detect this specific plugin. I know your not trying to give me a hard time, I am just a little aggravated that this plugin isn't working. I have several files saved in the psd format and I can't access them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uq5h9hsp751cn2s/1.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8625n19b3yhirx/2.png

Edited by DeathTBO

I made a typo. I am a c# programmer and I understand how all of this works. I have other plugins that do work in the \FileTypes\ folder, PDN wont detect this specific plugin. I know your not trying to give me a hard time, I am just a little aggravated that this plugin isn't working. I have several files saved in the psd format and I can't access them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uq5h9hsp751cn2s/1.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8625n19b3yhirx/2.png

That's all right, I would be frustrated too.

From the screenshot, I can see that it's definitely installed in the right place, and it's the right file.  It's not an installation problem, it's some kind of configuration issue.  As you can see, you're not the only person to run into this.

The problem is that it's working fine on my machine, on my test VMs, and on several other people's machines.  This is the trickiest type of problem to troubleshoot.

I got your ProcMon trace.  Please see my reply emails.

From your second screenshot it appears you have installed the Megalo pack, which is an illegal compilation of many outdated plugins from this forum that may contain malware.

You should delete the contents of your Effects and FileTypes folders and run a virus scan, see Megalo = VIRUS! for more information.

Then you can reinstall the latest version of the Photoshop filetype from codeplex.

I have been using the pack for a year, and during that time I have ran numerous virus scans, not a single virus has been found. I have also manually updated each plugin. I was unaware that it was illegal (though it kind of makes since). As I stated in a previous post I have updated the psd plugin to 2.4 and 2.4.1. Neither of them worked. I am currently talking to the developer via email.

Edit: Just to be on the safe side I have reinstalled all of my plugins (not using Megalo).

Edited by DeathTBO

DeathTBO has informed me that he's gotten the PSDPlugin to work.  The circumstantial evidence certainly seems to point to Megalo as the culprit ...

Thanks to null54, Ego Eram Reputo, and BoltBait for pitching in with the troubleshooting.

Incidentally, this is why it's so important to post screenshots.  Multiple people can look at a screenshot and check a dozen different things.  It's a lot faster than asking a dozen different questions!

From your second screenshot it appears you have installed the Megalo pack, which is an illegal compilation of many outdated plugins from this forum that may contain malware.

You should delete the contents of your Effects and FileTypes folders and run a virus scan, see Megalo = VIRUS! for more information.

Then you can reinstall the latest version of the Photoshop filetype from codeplex.

Wow guys :) very impressive team in helping DeathTBO with his problem .......... :beer: x 3.

Just out of curiosity may I ask @null54 how he determined, from @Death's 2nd screen shot, that @Death had installed the dreaded Megalo pack.  You never know, I may need this info one day to help someone else ;) .

Hello:) I'm new here. Yesterday I upgraded to Paint.Net 4. I see that it took my Photoshop/PSD plugin & locked it or something. I downloaded this one & for some reason it is still not working. I downloaded it>unzipped>(well when I download PSD files they automatically unzip because I use B1 archive, so I extract them after download) then I opened m Program files>Paint.Net>Files Type folder. I even restarted my computer after doing this & it is still not working. I really don't want to go back to an older version because the new version seems pretty promising...Except for this one problem, lol. Am I doing something wrong, did I miss a step? Any help will be greatly appreciated...Thank you kindly for your time & consideration.

Just out of curiosity may I ask @null54 how he determined, from @Death's 2nd screen shot, that @Death had installed the dreaded Megalo pack.

I asked null54 the same thing. The clue was in the versioning of one of the listed dll's and the sequential numbering of some of the files. It was tricky. Thankfully we have null54 lookng out for us :)

@Cocoglow: The unzipped *.dll file needs to be copied to the Paint.NET/Filetypes/ folder. Not the *.PSD file(s). If you're still having problems, please post a screenshot of your /filetypes/ folder showing the files in it.

Bizarre,

Editing my post because it's started working - despite the fact that nothing has changed Lol just gave it a few minutes and tried again ...not sure what this means but happy it's working at least - so have edited post to reflect this, I still believe the error was at Paint.NET's end (for whatever reason it was not opening the DLLs it had been given - or wasn't able to detect files in folder had changed or something of this nature, just randomly started working 20 mins later

Thanks!

Jarf

Edited by jarf

Bizarre,

Editing my post because it's started working - despite the fact that nothing has changed Lol just gave it a few minutes and tried again ...not sure what this means but happy it's working at least - so have edited post to reflect this, I still believe the error was at Paint.NET's end (for whatever reason it was not opening the DLLs it had been given - or wasn't able to detect files in folder had changed or something of this nature, just randomly started working 20 mins later

Thanks!

Jarf

I red what you have written first. I know it's frustrating if there are problems, but you should take the time and not generalize immediately.

Even now - in the changed text - you are pointing at Paint.NET, but be fair, you have no idea.

Fine that things are now working for you.

I had the same problem with latest 2.4.1 version not working in Paint.NET 4.0.2 on Windows 8.1 .

It can be solved by deleting PhotoShop.dll from Effects folder since Megalo Effects Pack includes outdated version of this plugin.