Glossy button with images

Woody

This is my first tutorial, I thought I should make this tutorial as the only tutorial i found had no pictures so I thought this might help some people.

Glossy Buttons Tutorial:

Minor changes:

Layer Opacity

Make the background layer transparent, I deleted the white by highlighing it with the wand and then deleting.

Create a new Layer and put it above the background layer.

1.jpg

Start by chosing a colour for your button and creating it's shape I used green (#339933) and the Rounded Rectangle tool.

2.jpg

Now that you have your button create a new layer above the one that has the button.

3.jpg

This new layer will be the glossy look. To create the glossy look I used the Ellipse tool to select an area on the button and filled it with white.

4.jpg

Go back to the layer with your button and use the WAND tool to select the area of the button.

5.jpg

With the area still highlighted go back to the glossy layer and press CTRL + I then delete this will take away the unneeded fill.

6.jpg

On your glossy layer press F4 and in the blending section reduce the Layer Opacity to an amount you like, I used 79.

7.jpg

This is the Glossy button.

8.jpg

EXTRA EFFECTS YOU MIGHT LIKE TO TRY!

Effects used:

Feather

Gaussian Blur

Corner glow

To add a nice effect to the corner I will start by adding a new layer above all of the current layers

9.jpg

On the new layer add a small white streak in the corner you want the glow I used a side 4 brush with white colour

10.jpg

After adding the white streak go to Effects -> Blurs -> Gaussian Blur and add a blur that you want I put mine up to 14

11.jpg

This will give you a nice glow in the end

12.jpg

Smoothing the Gloss

Go to the layer you created the gloss on and use feather Effects -> Object -> Feather

I put the Feather Radius max and left the strength default

13.jpg

14.jpg

And that is how you make the button, you can try different colours and shapes.

snoop_sig.jpg

Woody, thank you for sharing this tutorial.

Unfortunately we already have quite a number of tutorials on creating glossy buttons and glass buttons. A quick search with searchpaint.net and the term "glossy button" reveals this excellent tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=27100&start=0. There is also an excellent plugin which automates the button making process (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=28865).

Don't be downhearted that I'm locking your tutorial. It's just that we don't need further tutorials on the subject unless you've come up with a revolutionary new technique or effect.