How to Install Plugins ×

Stus Effects

sradforth

(As requested, all plugins contained in this post are now in this one zip file!)

Download all plugins and source code in StusPluginsWithSource.zip below

Contains

- Selection Obscurer

- Advanced Rotate

- Alpha Contrast

- iPhone Icon maker

- RGB Remapper

-Vignette1

Selection Obscurer:

Given a rectangular selection, this plugin will use the borders of that selection to fill the contents to allow you to delete the contents and replace it with appropriate pixels. This is helpful in removing items from images so the eye doesn't notice an obvious seem. There is an option for an interesting center which applies some pattern internally so it's not just a simple blend. You can also tweak the sharpness of the blend, the sharper the value the more the edges match correctly but may see visible artifacts in the center, the blurrier means a smoother center but may highlight disjoints around the edges.

selectionobscureddemo.jpg

Advanced Rotate:

This plugin does rotation on the selected area.

A great advantage is this rotation plugin operates around the center of your selection as compared to Paint.NET's rotation plugin which always uses the center of your whole image.

The main purpose is what to do with the unauthored areas of the rotation....

I.e. you can select to mirror the image, clamp it, use the default colour, leave it as untouched, and repeat. Mirroring is probably the most useful for general photo tidying as it fills the area with appropriate pixels as you can see below...

It is also possible to turn on/off the bilinear interpolation should it get in the way or you want a faster update on larger pictures

Here's a picture of it in action.

AdvancedRotate.jpg

Alpha Contrast:

AlphaContrast.jpg

Vignette:

Vignette.jpg

RGB Remapper:

RGBRemapper.jpg

RGB Intensity to Alpha(iPhone icon maker):

iPhoneTabBar.jpg

StusPluginsWithSource.zip

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Fixed broken images. Added link to refreshed Zip
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Here's a Vignette plugin I've made using CodeLab's C# tool.

Vignette1.zip

Details

To use this you need to create a new layer and select the effect on this newly opened layer (top most). It will generate a smooth shaded border as seen in shows like TopGear and other motorsports. Also excellent to bring the viewer into the center of the picture/give the feeling of claustrophobia :)

The effect is added to the Effects/Artistic menu option.

Here's a picture of it in action.

Vignette.jpg

Stuart Radforth

• Like 1

iPhone TabBar Icon Maker

Download here

iPhoneTabbarIconMaker.zip

Details

For any iPhone app makers out there you may have found making icons a bit tricky with Paint.NET. The magic is you need to use only the alpha channel, as the RGB is discarded by the iPhone and save the image as a 32bit PNG.

This plugin will sample the luminosity of your image (RGB value) and convert it into a greyscale (or you can author it in greyscale if you'd prefer).

It will then set the greyscale into the alpha channel and set a user selected RGB value so you can visually see the icon in editors.

Transparent areas will be transparent on the iPhone (i.e. showing the tab bar). Opaque areas will show up as light colours.

Icons need to be about 20 pixels high and no larger than say 40 pixels wide.

This plugin will install itself into the Effects/Advanced menu item of Paint.NET

Here's an image of it in action (using an image that is much larger than 20 pixels high so would need to be downsampled).

iPhoneTabBar.jpg

Cheers,

Stu

One suggestion: Put everything in the first post and possibly in the same ZIP so that they're easier to find, especially if you release a new plugin after a lot of comments.

KaHuc.png

RGB remapper

Download here

RGB_Remap4.zip

This was done to help test tinting for fullscreen effects in movies and games.

It will add the menu option to Effects/Colour/RGB_Remapper.

Effectively it runs the RGB value through a matrix to remap to other colours so you can convert your Red's to say Yellow but leave Green and Blue channels uneffected. The alpha channel is untouched.

Details

To use the orthogonal matrix just set the Red value to Red, Green value to Green and Blue value to Blue... this should produce exactly the same image that you see to begin with. From there you can start tweaking the colours to remap the RGB channels to other colours. Very handy for swapping the Blue and Red channels around for instance but equally very helpful for matching skin tones from different lighting conditions or media.

There is a normalize option enabled by default (check box), disabling this means you'll get a non-normalized matrix so you can do things which aren't technically accurate but give good effects like replace the red and blue channels with say dark grey so you'll only have shades of grey and green in your image (used heavily in films like Matrix).

RGBRemapper.jpg

• 4 months later...

Here's another very simple but somewhat handy plugin. I've coined it 'Alpha Contrast', it can really help get a good sharp edges after gaussian blurring something with alpha in.

(Thanks again to CodeLab for making this trivial)

What it does is a value of 100% leaves the picture untouched.

A value of 0% will make everything have 50% transparency.

A value of 100% will leave the alpha in the picture untouched.

A value of 200% will make any source alpha at 50% remain at 50%, src alpha at 25% will become 0% and src alpha at 75% will become 100% opaque.

etc..

The equation is

New_Alpha = ( Original_Alpha - 0.5 ) * Percentage_To_Apply + 0.5

Here's a few steps of it in action...

alphacontrast.jpg

Attached is a zip will all the plugins so far.

StusPlugins.zip

• 6 years later...

I use Advanced Rotate fairly often, but I have a question: Did the author make 45 the default as a joke? It is irritating and I cannot understand why the default can't be zero or 1. 45 is ridiculous!

Ketchup Kid

It had to be something! :D

The CodeLab source is part of the download package. Download and install CodeLab as you would any other Effect then fire up paint.net.

Open CodeLab (paint.net > Effects > Advanced > CodeLab) and load the Advanced Rotate source file (AdvancedRotate.cs). Modify as required and save the source file before building it as a DLL.

I use Advanced Rotate fairly often, but I have a question: Did the author make 45 the default as a joke? It is irritating and I cannot understand why the default can't be zero or 1. 45 is ridiculous!

At the time the plugin was written, CodeLab plugins couldn't modify the default value of 45°.

If you follow my previous directions you can rebuild the source file to create your own custom setting.

If you follow my previous directions you can rebuild the source file to create your own custom setting.

Thanks - I hadn't seen that. I have it downloaded and will give it a try. Thanks!

UPDATE: Fixed it. Thanks, much! :)

Edited by KetchupKid

Ketchup Kid

• 4 weeks later...

Hi quick question where is the Selection Obscurer.dll in the zip file?? there only 5 in the zip when the is 6 plugins on this page!? thank you

jay-fpaint.jpg

There are six now :mrgreen: I've added SelectionObscure.dll to the zip file. Try downloading it again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, TrevorOutlaw said:

I couldn't find it anywhere in the Effect submenu.

Effects -> Selection -> Obscure

• Upvote 1