Paint.NET v3.5.2 is now available

Rick Brewster

This update resolves some feature disparities in the Text tool between GDI (XP) and DirectWrite (Win7/Vista). It also improves overall performance, as well as the correctness and quality of the Move Selected Pixels tool, the Image->Resize function, and the Hue/Saturation adjustment.

As usual there are two ways to get it:

1. Download directly from the website, http://www.getpaint.net/ . There is no need to uninstall the old version; that will be taken care of automatically.
    2. Preferred: Use the built-in updater from within Paint.NET. You can go to Utilities->Check for Updates, or you can wait for the following update dialog to show up automatically within the next week or so:
    20091119_pdn351installAtExit.png

Changes and fixes since v3.5.1:

* All font face variants (e.g., Arial vs. Arial Narrow) are now available with the Text tool in Win7/Vista with DirectWrite.
    * Bitmap font types (e.g. Courier, Terminal, Fixedsys) are now available with the Text tool in Win7/Vista.
    * Fixed some bad text kerning with the Text tool at small font sizes when antialiasing was turned off.
    * For the Image->Resize function, the quality, correctness, and performance of Bilinear and Bicubic sampling modes have been improved. Super Sampling also has some performance improvement.
    * Improved the rendering quality for the Hue/Saturation adjustment. Also made a new icon for it.
    * Fixed many subtle rendering issues with the Move Selected Pixels tool. These were apparent when flipping or rotating a selected area.
    * Fixed: The Line/Curve tool was applying pixel snapping to the curve nodes, which caused lines to "bend" when using the Shift key to constrain the angle.
    * Fixed some extraneous CPU usage related to unnecessary or redundant thumbnail updates.
    * Fixed a few dialogs that looked wrong with Aero glass with Remote Desktop or Virtual PC.
    * Fixed a nasty memory leak with Flatten followed by Undo.
    * Fixed some issues related to effects that took awhile to cancel. As it turns out, drag-and-drop was enabled at this time, which easily lead to crashes or hangs.
    * Some Win7 systems could not detect that .NET 3.5 SP1 was installed, even though it was. A fallback detection function has been added.
    * For plugin authors, the Effect class now has a pollable IsCancelRequested property. This can be used to improve responsiveness for expensive OnSetRenderInfo() implementations which are otherwise non-interruptible.
    * For plugin authors, the Surface.FitSurface() method is now optimized to use multiple threads, which improves performance.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

wow rick thanks that was super fast :D

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

It was indeed! I'm glad to see the resize function has been improved, it's been the cause of a few headaches for me before.

I have found a bug. When you click open and open a picture, the preview screen at the top right does not load.

I need to pick a different signature... one that doesn't flash.

PDN now does this wierd thing when I flatten/merge layers. Say if I merge a layer down, and it's set to additive or whatever, then when I merge it down it flickers to as if it is set to normal, then goes to what it should look like when merged. It's only really a problem when I'm trying to compare what a layer looks like visible/not visible. This also happens when I make a layer visible/invisible.

is this fixed?

Thanks for the update.

Hey Rick thanks for the improvements - especially with the flatten undo bug , resize quality, and the silly non/refreshing thumbnail :P

Thanks again! :)

"pyrochild, you're my favorite person ever. We should go snowboarding some time."~ 007 Nab. Ish.

PDN Gallery | I Made a Deviant Art!

Still not possible with the current Paint.NET architecture.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Odd rounding when there shouldn't be any rounding?

I was updating some of the help images and just doing misc stuff, then I chose rectangle select, fixed size and switched the inches to pixels and got weird results.

The resolution was the standard 96px/inch and somehow the default 4 and 3 inches measurement ended up being 383.9976 pixels and 287.9972 pixels.

Can't repro it now, but I'll try to keep a look out for it if it happens again.

Edit: This is on Windows 7 Pro x64.

Edit2: Opened those pics again and this time the result was 383.944 and 287.958.

It's not that big of a problem but still odd?

sig.jpg.7f312affa740bae49243c4439bc4a244.jpg

Thanks Rick for the new update. Appreciate all your time and efforts.

Is it me --or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?

"feature disparities in the Text tool between GDI (XP) and DirectWrite (Win7/Vista)." Thank you Rick. Text looks much better !

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE