paint.net license

The license for paint.net allows users to redistribute the software, but not to sell it. However, if it is distributed via physical media(CD, floppy, etc), does charging money(to cover the manufacturing costs) violate the license?

Space...The Final Frontier. -James Tiberius Kirk; circa 2260s

YLOD VICTIM

Hmm, that is a good question that I think Rick needs to address in a revision to the license. From the way I am reading it, as long as you inform the user you are selling it to that they are paying for the manufacturing cost of the CD and the labour put into it by you for providing it through that form of distributable format and you let them know that Paint.NET is free through www.GetPaint.NET there should not be a problem. However, I may be incorrect and it might be better to try and seek an official word from Rick Brewster.

signature.png

So, wait. Let me get this straight. You're going to charge someone for a CD and for labor. That's...wait, let me do the math here...one disc ($0.50), plus about 2 minutes of time (at U.S. federal minimum wage [which, let's face it, is all you should be paid for pressing "go!" on a CD burner], $0.25). Grand total? $0.75. I don't know whether Rick intends the license to allow it or not, but why the heck are you annoying your buyer by charging them for something that cost you less than a pack of gum?

(That said, Rick did let a magazine bundle a copy of Paint.NET with their paid magazine. But I don't know how similar the situations are.)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

You think I have the resources to do this?
Yes, because to compliment Rick's immense ability to code, he is also psychic. If he knew the answer already, he would not have asked. :)

Speaking of asking, you have an insatiable curiosity for Paint.NET; from its roadmap, to its features, to its licence terms. This, in turn, piques my curiosity in you...

Seriously guys, the title for this forum is "general discussion and questions". Therefore, you're supposed to post general discussion and questions.

And you guys say no off topic threads.

Any questions?

Space...The Final Frontier. -James Tiberius Kirk; circa 2260s

YLOD VICTIM

I'm not answering a legal-related question just because you're "curious". What you're asking requires me to make a decision and set a policy on something that has real consequences.

Please stop asking questions whose answers would either be completely speculative (icon for 4.0? seriously?!), or that you don't actually need an answer to (like this one).

Thread Closed

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg