This forum is bloody rude to noobs

chrisjw37

Hi

i've been around this forum a few years.

Just read some posts where people have posted perfectly legitimate working tricks, tutorials etc. and noticed just how bloody rude most of the old hands are to noobs.

So what if you posted a long winded tutorial some 2 years ago and the new member can't find it; the last three I read used newer plug-ins and were simpler and well illustrated. very suitable for noobs using the non-standard interface of Paint.Net

I'm trying to get junior & senior health staff to use the program and have to apologise in advance for the very hostile forums.

Co-operation should be the rule and I believe (Ok I know there is) a thread called something like BE NICE TO THE NEWBIES or DON'T BITE the NEWBIES.

(Don't bother correcting me, I really am not anal enough to search for it, unlike the rude superior posters so predominant here.)

So the rule is - BE NICE

You were a noob once and a spotty goofy toothed one too, at that.

Yes, I am a Qualified teacher/trainer/ instructor and Scientist; so don't get nasty with me desk jockey's.

Thank you and take this in the Spirit of Christmas 2009

be nice to your fellow man.

OK let the whinnying begin..................... :roll:

CjW

Edit by Rick: Sorry, no flashy animations in avatars or signatures.

*sigh* & *sigh* again...you are quite correct. I am a teacher/trainer too...& a bitten newbie. I'm old enough to know that some people are rude & blunt & it is their problem. There are a few really nice people here. Quite a few are so fed up with the nastiness that goes on here at times, they want to pull their galleries out.

PM me, please.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

I'm never mean to newbies , that's cause and effect dude . I wouldn't want someone to be rude to me in return for making that cause in the first place . I just ignore the rudeness ^_~

Hi

i've been around this forum a few years. The point of this sentence is what exactly...?

Just read some posts where people have posted perfectly legitimate working tricks, tutorials etc. and noticed just how bloody rude most of the old hands are to noobs. Rude? As in stopping an overflow of tutorials that variate by 2 steps or so? I'm not seeing any rudeness in locking tutorials that are almost exact copies of ones that already exist. I've seen several threads locked that I think shouldn't have, but there aren't enough to make the problem you're describing. You've mistaken the word "newb" for "noob." Newbs generally learn to use the search function after the first time their topic is locked for request a tutorial that can be found on the second or third page. Noobs are the ones who do not learn from their mistakes and show no signs of trying to after their 3rd, 4th and 5th warnings. I've plenty of patience for newbs, but I have a hard time being kind to noobs.

So what if you posted a long winded tutorial some 2 years ago and the new member can't find it; the last three I read used newer plug-ins and were simpler and well illustrated. very suitable for noobs using the non-standard interface of Paint.Net Good point here, but without these newer locked tutorials clogging up the first pages those old tutorials would be on the first few pages and just as easy to access.

I'm trying to get junior & senior health staff to use the program and have to apologise in advance for the very hostile forums. Hostile. This one was a joke, yes?

Co-operation should be the rule and I believe (Ok I know there is) a thread called something like BE NICE TO THE NEWBIES or DON'T BITE the NEWBIES. Note the word "Newbie."

(Don't bother correcting me, I really am not anal enough to search for it, unlike the rude superior posters so predominant here.) Alright, fair enough.

So the rule is - BE NICE

You were a noob once and a spotty goofy toothed one too, at that. I can quite truthfully never been a "noob." Though I was a "newb" for a very long time.

Yes, I am a Qualified teacher/trainer/ instructor and Scientist; so don't get nasty with me desk jockey's.

A bit of hypocrisy in that sentence, isn't there?

Thank you and take this in the Spirit of Christmas 2009

be nice to your fellow man. Will do.

OK let the whinnying begin..................... :roll:

Me in blue. Don't take anything as an insult, I've been told I'm very bad at internet sarcasm. :roll:

Sigil_Top.png

Sigil_Bottom.png

(Click top half for DeviantArt gallery) (Click bottom half for Paint.NET gallery)

the only thing I'm wondering about Chris is how you are determing if someone is an old hand at Paint.net. by post count or content of their work?

I consider myself an old hand at paint.net. I've been here quite awhile and have seen many come and go.

I definietly try not to bash any newbies, and I think the amount of newbie PM's with little private mini tuts on steps and questions I answer is testement to that.

We have many a poster that have never produced much more than a hill of beans picture wise, often telling those that do use paint.net everyday how to do things (and often incorrectly). These people might look like old hands by the number of posts from the "Alfredo section" . but I'd never call them proficient by any means.

The above doesn't apply to the plugin writers they are in a class by themselves and should often be listened to as they know much more about the inner workings and how the plugins can vary an image. just be certain you are giving the proper distinction to those you call Old hat, and not just looking at post count junkies.

you may PM me. I'm very sorry if I'm the old hand that bite you. I can not really recall doing that, and most times I'm quite civil to all, but do get my back up at personal slams in my PM box..

ciao OMA

We moderators watch out for any such behaviour, but as with anything a few cases slip the net. If anyone notices postings of an unacceptable harshness, please help us to help you by reporting the disagreeable post. (The small red exclamation mark in the corner of the post is the way to go about this.)

It would be best if non-moderators were to refrain from taking action themselves by PM'ing offenders -- the last result we need is the formation of a vigilante group moderating under the radar left, right and centre.

aaawwww myrddin you ruined my dream of become V from v for vendetta :( but in all seriousness there are a few on here that are a bit rude but most of us are nice and are very helpful.

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

The people who are rude seem to stand out more. I think, some, are not being rude, but think they are helping by cleaning up forums or pointing out mistakes.

Yes some people on here are a bit mean, but I don't think a thread is needed.

BTW, sometimes, it is harsh critique.

Anyway, have a nice day. Try to avoid any agreeing and you should be fine.

I actually find people on this forum a lot nicer than on other forums.

Well despite the slanging, I've learnt a lot.

The distinction between NOOB & NEWBIE.

How to report a post.

Best of all how you can post a flame & then hide by not allowing a PM & choosing not to respond to requests for PM.

Thanks guys!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012