I've made the lines a little thinner an flipped/rotated them

Looks like a abstract flower I think:)

36441_134202309934566_100000343939643_253444_135724_n.jpg

Thanks or the tut flip

I think I can use for more Ideas I have... :D

40213_142211369133660_100000343939643_292011_126441_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

That is a nice trick

You get a better result with Distort/Twist if you ran Distort/Sin Waves before. Otherwise, the extremities of the swirl remain “flat”, especially with a low distortion. But I’d just like to mention that you can work around if you do not have the Sine Waves plugin.

The solution is to add a new layer on top and make a radial gradient with primary color fully transparent and the secondary colour black. This layer will hide the extremities of the swirl as shown below (left without sin wave and without mask; right without sin wave but with the mask).

post-77960-128342888043_thumb.png

With a higher distortion (like the galaxy) this default does not show and the sin wave pre-processing is not necessary.

post-77960-128342890263_thumb.png

Romur

That is a nice trick

You get a better result with Distort/Twist if you ran Distort/Sin Waves before. Otherwise, the extremities of the swirl remain “flat”, especially with a low distortion. But I’d just like to mention that you can work around if you do not have the Sine Waves plugin.

The solution is to add a new layer on top and make a radial gradient with primary color fully transparent and the secondary colour black. This layer will hide the extremities of the swirl as shown below (left without sin wave and without mask; right without sin wave but with the mask).

post-77960-128342888043_thumb.png

With a higher distortion (like the galaxy) this default does not show and the sin wave pre-processing is not necessary.

post-77960-128342890263_thumb.png

Nice tut. Thanks so much ^^ It took me a while to figure things out, though :">

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I love this tut! Not for what it is; but rather for the doors that it opens!

Edited by ventor1
naturesig.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't used PDN in a while but here's my attempt your last pic:

tryout.png

Click my signature to register for the game my signature is based off of

:) If you get to level 5, it helps me too!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Guys please i need help with the Sine waves!!!! I just can't get it corect...... Iv'e downloaded it and put it in the Paint.net effects but when i go in to paint.net i just don't have it in the distort list.......

Ok love the tutorial, actually this is my first time to get complete something :)

post-91272-0-08581700-1344191408_thumb.g

Edited by IsM4thrill

Great tute :)

After making five swirls on seperate layers, I flattened all the swirl layers, duplicated it, flipped horizontal then run twist on each of the two layers before using conditional hue/saturation. This is what I came up with :)

swirl.png

ZXCBOoZ.png

• 1 month later...

Um.I have one problem: all of the gradients I have/install take up the whole selection. Like:

radial.png

I can't get it to resize how I want, they a;ll just automatically take up the whole area. I've installed 3 different gradient packs/plugins.

Am I missing something, or is there a different plugin I need?

• 3 months later...

Um.I have one problem: all of the gradients I have/install take up the whole selection. Like:

-snip-

I can't get it to resize how I want, they a;ll just automatically take up the whole area. I've installed 3 different gradient packs/plugins.

Am I missing something, or is there a different plugin I need?

Before you make the gradient, open up all of the windows.  The color, the tabs, the tools, the history.  Now, look at the color tab - look at your primary and secondary colors.  The secondary should have a gradient fading into a checkerboard.  If it doesn't, you go ahead and make it by swapping the secondary (or just swapping to black), clicking the "More >>" arrow, going to transparency, and dragging it all the way down.  After that, you go to your "Tabs" window (this part you might understand already) and add a new tab, and do as the tutorial says.  

Should work.  

The hardest part of ending is starting again. 

• 2 months later...

How do you make the background of the swirls transparent? I used magic wand on the background and CTRL + X but it gets rid of the entire thing!

I like the expirementation. I do not like reading the offensive tones of some of the comments i will not exibit. You need to fill the brains with your experience, rather than to insult this as too basic. Crawl before you can run 100 yards in 9 seconds.

Good job.

• 6 months later...

Hrm... i know this topic is old, but its still on page 1. I have been tinkering with paint.net for a long while, and I am self taught. I decided to step up my game and read some tuts to become more talented. I am still quite noobish but I am trying.

Here is my attempt at with this. I added some more steps afterwards, such as shape3d to make the flowers look as though they are blooming upwards. The flowers themselves were made from this technique.

AbstractRoses

http://i.imgur.com/oPtdzZX.png

Edited by FFSnipe