Paint.NET v3.5.1 is now available

Rick Brewster

What happened to the selection? It's been completely screwed, and now I can't tell what I have selected, and theres no moving dashes to tell me if there's a selection even made.

What happened to the selection? It's been completely screwed, and now I can't tell what I have selected, and theres no moving dashes to tell me if there's a selection even made.

its called xor selection. it makes the program faster.

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

Basicly changed to cut down on CPU load.

Search for "dancing ants" or "moving ants" if you want to know more.

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

Just popped in to say nice work on 3.5.1! I was very impressed with the automatic update (so much easier than when software either tells you there's an update available and gives a link and the link doesn't work, simply tells you there's an update available and then you have to go off and find it, or doesn't notify you when there's a new version available so you either only find it accidentally, or trundle on with an outdated version).

I have to say that I miss the "dancing ants" though too (if only because it's a visual reminder that you've got something selected) and I've noticed the issue with the line tool as well - I thought it was just me. It's incredibly difficult to get an absolutely straight line and to be sure you've got a straight line, because even when you know you've got a straight line because the pixels are all lined up and you're zoomed in quite a bit, the flashing little square dots along the line (the handles you use to create curves etc.) don't seem to be all lined up - either they seem just ever-so slightly off-centre from the line or some seem to be slightly below, some seem to be dead on-centre, and some seem slightly higher. It may just be an optical illusion, but it's a tad irritating.

Anyways, having said all that, so far, with the little time I've had available recently to play with 3.5.1, it seems very nice, and I like the new UI look - not that a huge amount seems to have changed visually, but with the new icons/buttons it makes the toolbar look more 'clean' somehow. Good work! :)

bliss_sig_pencil_2.png

I've noticed the issue with the line tool as well - I thought it was just me. It's incredibly difficult to get an absolutely straight line and to be sure you've got a straight line, because even when you know you've got a straight line because the pixels are all lined up and you're zoomed in quite a bit, the flashing little square dots along the line (the handles you use to create curves etc.) don't seem to be all lined up - either they seem just ever-so slightly off-centre from the line or some seem to be slightly below, some seem to be dead on-centre, and some seem slightly higher. It may just be an optical illusion, but it's a tad irritating.

That bug's been filed so hopefully it'll be fixed soon. :)

Well it's ridiculous. Is there a way to get it back? the only reason I ever used PDN was because it was simpler than Photoshop. Now it's just become 10x more difficult.

And why does it look like something Microsoft would churn out? There was nothing wrong with the old GUI.

Because of the fact that the selection no longer moves, PDN has become 10x harder? Calm down a little. If you think a little harder you'll find that its actually not that hard to recognize the selection.

4501470889_5a71ed4d66_o.png

- Any thoughts? -

Well it's ridiculous. Is there a way to get it back? the only reason I ever used PDN was because it was simpler than Photoshop. Now it's just become 10x more difficult.

That's ridiculous? You're ridiculous. Would you rather have a silly animation on your selection or an extra hour of battery life waiting in the airport? You're blowing this out of proportion.
And why does it look like something Microsoft would churn out? There was nothing wrong with the old GUI.
It looks like something Microsoft would churn out because Microsoft generally churns out pretty good software. Their OS and productivity suite have #1 market share for a reason. And it's a good thing when a program fits in with its OS. People will feel familiar with software the first time they use it if it looks like the programs they've already been using.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Hmmmm...not sure on the "pretty good software" thing :wink: but I don't think the new-look UI looks MS-esque - if anything it's got more of an Opera or Google Chrome feel about it. Of course because PDN originally came out of a Microsoft project, it's hardly surprising that there are some similarities with the MS look, but then again all UIs, whether on a Windows, Mac or *Nix platform tend to be pretty similar because it makes it easier for users to switch between platforms.

I wouldn't agree that the lack of "dancing ants" makes it 10x harder to use (at least not for me, but I do find it more difficult) but potentially for some users it could make it a lot more difficult.

Would it be possible to have the "dancing ants" as a user selectable option on selections? I think there is an important accessibility issue with selections. As far as I'm aware there aren't any accessibility standards for software in the same way that there are for web development, but one of the important points in the WAG guidelines for web design is that you don't rely on colour alone to distinguish between changes in states (i.e. hyperlinks gain/lose an underline on hover or some other indication of the change). For those with visual problems, it's often very difficult to differentiate between subtle changes in colour, and especially when you've got an area selected that's not on a white background, the change in colour on selection isn't always very obvious. You might argue that people with visual problems wouldn't be using graphics software, but you'd be surprised who uses different types of software. The "dancing ants" would probably benefit, apart from users with visual problems, very young users or older people who aren't very used to using computers because it's a very visible indication an area's selected. You'd also be surprised how many people have some degree of colour-blindness and have difficulty differentiating between colours. If you want to maximise your user-base you need to make it easy to use for as wider range of people as possible.

The other thing is that a dashed outline, usually animated, has become rather a convention in graphics software, and when people are used to software doing a certain thing, when something doesn't do what they expect it to potentially it's very confusing and makes it less usable for them.

bliss_sig_pencil_2.png

I'm sure you're the smartest and most experienced person in the whole freakin' world when it comes to software design.

Seriously, why must everyone complain about everything, while simultaneously proclaiming themselves as an expert? I'm sick of it. Shut up or leave.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I'm sure you're the smartest and most experienced person in the whole freakin' world when it comes to software design.

Seriously, why must everyone complain about everything, while simultaneously proclaiming themselves as an expert? I'm sick of it. Shut up or leave.

ouch my ears are blistering, you certainly told him off. just wanted you to know at least from one person how much I appreciate all the hard work you do. I just wanted to tell you I actually like all the changes (once I got the hang of things).

ciao from the oldest (agewise) member of the forum.

OMA

Hey, there's no need to be rude! I'm not complaining (and I never said I was an expert on software design - I really wouldn't have a clue where to start, but I do have a lot of experience with usability in web design working with people with visual problems and trying to design accessible GUIs for web apps, hence my comments) - I was simply offering some, what was intended to be, constructive feedback on the usability of the software and pointing out that the new-style selection could cause some problems for potential users. I was under the (obviously misguided) impression that you might welcome feedback from users, but if you only want positive feedback I'll keep my views to myself in future.

PDN is an excellent piece of software, and has a lot of advantages over other graphics software (some disadvantages as well, but then no software's gonna be perfect and meet the needs of everyone all the time) and I'd estimate that I do probably 75% of graphics work now using PDN. PDN itself is great, and generally I think the new version's great, as I said in my earlier post on this thread. I regularly recommend PDN to people, which is something I don't do with software unless it's something I've used myself and had a good experience with. One little niggle about one small feature is hardly complaining about everything. :wink:

bliss_sig_pencil_2.png

He wants feedback. But not the same feedback over and over.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Wow, that was amazing! I've never seen a developer lam-blast a poster on a forum before. A user was genuinely trying to offer some (what I thought was well put, intelligent, and VERY helpful ) advice. And Mr. Brewster comes on here, and tells him to " shut up, or leave"? Unbelievable. Truly. One of the forum rules I read stated that we weren't supposed to be rude to others. I thought this was supposed to be a helpful, and fun place to come and communicate ideas. And then I run in to this?

I understand having a bad day, or things not going well, or what ever, but to actually put up a post, and tell a user to "shut up, or leave" has got to be one of the rudest, and most immature, things I have ever seen. Then to have a mod back him up too? Wow, what a deal you guys have got going here.

I applaud BlissC for not only how he handled that post reply, but how his original post of his "advice" regarding the dancing ants was so carefully worded to begin with. I thought he put quite a bit of thought, and time into a post, that he knew might offend some. Yet he chose his words it seemed, extremely cautiously, so as not to harm anyones' ego. And yet he apparently did anyways. His was a very legitimate case, and providing for just an option of this sort, despite all the tree huggers in the world, wouldn't be a life ending situation. There are very, very legitimate reasons for what probably amount to millions of people, that would like to (for their own individual needs or wants) have this feature returned.

I'm certain, this post will offend some, and I'm not too concerned with that. What does concern me, is when one of the Mods reads it, sees that this is only my second post on this site ever, and decides that I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm just a noob, and deletes it before it gets it's due consideration by the people who should read it. I may be new to this site, but I am nowhere near new, when it comes to this sort of issue, and basically what amounts to "customer service".

"Beer is Proof That God Loves Us, And Wants Us To Be Happy!" - Ben Franklin

You apparently only read three posts on this entire forum. Let me give you the rundown.

Since Paint.NET v3.5.1 was released on Friday, November 20, 2009, the comments posted on this board have been 80% negative, 10% neutral, and only 10% positive. For a free program. Rick has been pulled through the coals for:

1. The removal of pressure sensitivity (a function that was badly hindering progress)

2. The removal of marching ants

3. The decision to stop making special fixes for minor bugs in Windows XP (an operating system that gets closer and closer to being a decade old as the days go by)

4. The decision to add Aero Glass

5. The decision to use DirectWrite

6. The decision to not use DirectWrite (In an absolutely fantastic twist of irony)

7. Problems he didn't cause

8. Intentional behavior of the program

9. The fact that he isn't working on this free program quickly enough

10. The fact that this free program isn't Photoshop

...and many more things that I'm sure I haven't seen because they went directly to his inbox.

I'm getting tired of it, and it's not even directed at me. I can't imagine being lambasted (good word!) for the work I've done on a free program.

This is not to say that the correct reaction to any criticism is to just ban the poster straight away. But it is to say that, after the comments about the items mentioned above were posted with extreme vitriol and anger, as well as a sense of entitlement to have it their way, I would have assumed, similarly to the way Rick did, that when you make a post like that, you're going to launch into an angry tirade about how you deserve this feature. You're going to assert your superiority over him and treat him like dirt because everyone else who has posted comments about his hard work has done the same. And you're going to assume that treating him in the same way that you treat the cashier at Wal-Mart will allow you to see the manager and get what you want because this consumer culture has programmed you to do so.

I thought that the original poster's comment, in hindsight, was well-written and well-thought-out. I thought his second was not. And yours still shows a lack of understanding that you don't deserve anything. This is still a free program, and you owe him much more than he owes you for it.

But it all seems to me like a great way to derail a thread, being angry about such things. Why don't we all calm down, have some bubbly stuff, and enjoy the fact that Paint.NET is a great program. Not perfect (and I don't think Rick would try to tell you any different, hence it's numbered as version 3.5.1, not version Finale), but great. And free. And-- let's all be honest here-- isn't it still a great program, even if it doesn't have the feature you want?

There, this conversation is done. No other comments about the argument. We want only comments about 3.5.1 here. Bugs go to the troubleshooting forum, and feature requests and how-to questions go in GD+Q. So that leaves this thread for questions about the program in general, comments about how much you like the program, or what you think could be improved. But it all should be said with respect and civility, just the same way we'll treat you.

There will be no attempt to censor or quench free speech and open exchange of ideas, and we don't delete or edit posts here unless someone breaks board rules. But from this point on, the argument is done. Take it to a PM if you have anything else to say.

And, odeho19 - welcome to the forum!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

...have some bubbly stuff...

I'm not allowed to have that stuff...

Goodjob, Rick! I no longer come to the computer with a goal of time wasting. Its gotten to the point that I look at stuff and think "how can I do that on PDN?" its kinda creepy...

- Any thoughts? -

I was talking about Pepsi and Mountain Dew. :-P

[sarcasm] What?! You don't port to Linux?! The best operating system ever to be operated?! Well this program is a write off then. [/sarcasm]

You've made an amazing program. Count the people who don't whine.

- Any thoughts? -

When complaining about Paint.NET, remember :

• You don’t have to pay anything for it. So if you don’t like it you don’t loose any money. (Unlike many other programs.)

• Paint.NET wasn’t made for you alone. It was made to be used by many, many various people. What you see as a bad decision by Rick may be good for many other people.

• There are not 100 + people coding it. So things take time.

• When Rick doesn’t demand any money for it, we have to accept that he sometimes code what HE thinks is fun.

• We all have our wishes for new features. I have mine. You have yours.

I have had tons of fun hours playing with Paint.NET.

Thanks for making it, and making it available for free. :D

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

I was talking about Pepsi and Mountain Dew. :-P

Ooh, ooh, and don't forget the Pop-rocks too! :lol: Used to drive MoM nuts, Pepsi and Pop-Rocks!

"Beer is Proof That God Loves Us, And Wants Us To Be Happy!" - Ben Franklin

Bottom Line: It's free. Quit complaining.

Rick, have a :bmw: and a :mtdew: . I can't imagine myself putting so much effort into something, then offering it for free :shock:

off-topic: Are there some new smilies? The "view more smilies" button is now divided into 4 pages. O.o