How to Install Plugins ×

HOW TO INSTALL PLUGINS/General Plugin Troubleshooting Thread

RaveN

Trouble with plugin

I recently downloaded the Polar Transformations plugin, because I wanted to make curved writing.

The files are in the "Effects" folder, but when I go to unblock them(ie unblock>apply>ok) then fire up paint.net the effects are not in the effects option.

When I go back to the effect folder and click on properties the files are still blocked!

How can I unblock these files?

I have home premium vista.

I'm able to download and install the plugins, most plugins work but when it comes to like textures and brushes I can't seem to get those to work, Is their anything someone can tell me how to do it?

When I go back to the effect folder and click on properties the files are still blocked!

Move them on your desktop.

Don't copy them, move them.

Then unblock them both on your desktop, and move them back.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

Move them on your desktop.

Don't copy them, move them.

Then unblock them both on your desktop, and move them back.

Yep, that unblocked them,thanks.

But they still don't show up in the "distort" effects menu, as far as I can tell.

• 3 weeks later...

Since someone just asked me about this in a PM...

How to install the palette file:

1. Open Paint.NET

2. Expand the Color Docker by clicking "more" button:

colorswindowmore.png

3. Click the palette button:

palettesmenu.png

4. Select "Open palettes folder..."

This will open a standard windows explorer window.

5. Find my palette file and right-click on it and choose "copy" from the context menu.

6. Go to the window that opened in step 4. Choose Edit > Paste from the menu.

7. Close that window.

8. Click the Palette button in the color docker window (like in step 3) and notice that your new palette file is listed at the top of that menu. Select the new palette entry to view the palette.

9. That's it.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I'm having trouble with the Advanced Tools plugin. Having scoured both the download (the readme and plugin itself) and the forums and getting nowhere, I'm resorting to asking.

I have the plugin downloaded and unzipped, same as the rest of my plugins. The .dll is in the Effects folder. However, when I open the effect in pdn, all I get is the main screen (as shown on the first post of the plugin's forum). Eventually, if I leave it open long enough, I get a message saying it was an April Fool's joke. (It also says not to ask about it in the forums, but if he didn't want me doing that, he should have made it clear how to fix it!).

In the forum for the plugin, I saw somebody else had the same problem, and got a nasty comment about reading the rules in the ReadMe first. Well, I looked at the ReadMe, and all it is is a JPEG of a smiley face. Somebody said something about having to unblock it, so I tried that. "Unblock" doesn't come up as an option on either the Readme or the plugin itself.

Finally, I went through this entire thread and checked to make sure I'd done everything. As far as I can tell, I have. Can anybody help me with this?

The entire plugin was an april fool. ;)

...which it says in the readme.txt file, so obviously you DIDN'T read it... ;-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

If you download it again you'll see no readme.txt (although the picture is still there). It was changed when I provided LFC with a new version that included the April Fools' DLL.

KaHuc.png

Ah, apologies. Didn't see that.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I had to re-install everything after a destructive restore. Downloaded the latest paint.net and then started downloading the plugins I like to use (pyro's, boltbait's, etc.). I extracted the .dll and then placed it in the effects folder. I clicked on the properties and unblocked each one and applied. Then I opened my paint.net and nada--not anything new under any menu. So I went here:

http://boltbait.googlepages.com/install

Confirmed I did install correct. So any ideas? Thanks.

File -> View plugin load errors

Paste the contents here.

1 of 1

--------------

File: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\PaintDotNet.StylusReader.dll

Effect Name: (Not Supplied)

Full error message: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Ink, Version=1.7.2600.2180, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

File name: 'Microsoft.Ink, Version=1.7.2600.2180, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.

To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.

Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.

To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Thanks Simon.