Photo

NormalMapPlus v1.0

14 replies to this topic

#1 Simon Brown

Simon Brown
  • Members
  • 10,251 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:28 PM

Based on harold's public domain plugin that he no longer supports (LINK). Note that the source is based on output from Reflector and i've done little so far besides getting it working.

Source
Download (Click NormalMapPlus.zip)

w9jwk0.png

efnpqh.png

Edited by Simon Brown, 06 July 2013 - 07:29 PM.
Updated link to original plugin.

Posted Image

#2 Rebel O Conner

Rebel O Conner
  • Newbies
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:02 PM

Work perfectly.
Thank you.

#3 wiirus

wiirus
  • Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

Work perfectly.
Thank you.

Nothing to add from me.
Thanks

I'm still learning, trying to get better.
Critics, even bad ones, help me.
Posted Image
Join Premium Renders!

#4 Ego Eram Reputo

Ego Eram Reputo

2013 Proton Award Winner

• Moderators
  • 7,457 posts
  • LocationNorth Canterbury, New Zealand

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:17 PM

Brilliant! Thanks so much Simon.

#5 Simon Brown

Simon Brown
  • Members
  • 10,251 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:42 AM

Moved to GitHub.
Posted Image

#6 harold

harold
  • Members
  • 374 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:57 AM

Cool :D
Would you mind giving me a quick overview of the changes that were necessary to make it work again?
I would write plugins, if I knew what kind of plugins were needed.. :(

#7 Simon Brown

Simon Brown
  • Members
  • 10,251 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:06 PM

Roughly:

1. I created a new effect using IndirectUI and copied the OnRender method out of the output from Reflector.

2. I copied the Float4 class across and changed the code in the OnRender method to use it instead of looking for it as a nested class.

3. I fixed the casting errors.

The source is here: http://github.com/si...n/NormalMapPlus
Posted Image

#8 Possum Roadkill

Possum Roadkill
  • Competition Hosts
  • 2,051 posts
  • LocationHenry County Indiana USA

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:41 AM

Hi Simon, is this plugin still supported? I tried the link provided but all I get is the source in a zip file. Sorry, but I don't know what to do with the source. I looked in your plugin pack and didn't see it there. Any chance of getting it as a dll for the current version of PdN? Thanks :D I use the height field to normal map for textures quite a bit and this plugin looks to be something I could really use. :D :D

Posted Image

My Gallery

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host
To visit the Comps click HERE

#9 Simon Brown

Simon Brown
  • Members
  • 10,251 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:01 AM

It's in the "downloads" section.
Posted Image

#10 Possum Roadkill

Possum Roadkill
  • Competition Hosts
  • 2,051 posts
  • LocationHenry County Indiana USA

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:00 PM

It's in the "downloads" section.

I have it now, thank you Simon. For some reason I could not access the downloads area from my home connection, but here at my office it opened up quickly and I was able to download the dll. Thank you very much, I am sure I will find this to be a valuable plugin.

Posted Image

My Gallery

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host
To visit the Comps click HERE

#11 joduffy

joduffy
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:27 AM

I have it now, thank you Simon. For some reason I could not access the downloads area from my home connection, but here at my office it opened up quickly and I was able to download the dll. Thank you very much, I am sure I will find this to be a valuable plugin.

Hi Simon,

I tried downloading your normal map plus plugin but all i get is this one which i assume is the unsupported one

Kindly refrain from linking to illegal ripoff sites. Thanks./Features/Effects/Plugins/Color/Normal_Map/"]My link[/url]

would you be able to supply a direct link to the dll file please

Edited by joduffy, 30 January 2012 - 02:28 AM.

#12 Ego Eram Reputo

Ego Eram Reputo

2013 Proton Award Winner

• Moderators
  • 7,457 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:54 AM

Find the (functioning) link in the first post of this thread.

The URL you posted is an illegal site that rips off the hard work of plugin authors. As you can see the URL is removed whenever posted.

For your own security, NEVER download a plugin from any other site except this forum (or from links posted on this forum).

If you have downloaded from another site (especially a huge pack of plugins) I suggest you delete them all and download them again from here.

#13 joduffy

joduffy
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:54 AM

Find the (functioning) link in the first post of this thread.

The URL you posted is an illegal site that rips off the hard work of plugin authors. As you can see the URL is removed whenever posted.

For your own security, NEVER download a plugin from any other site except this forum (or from links posted on this forum).

If you have downloaded from another site (especially a huge pack of plugins) I suggest you delete them all and download them again from here.

Thanks for your help.
I deleted all the files and re-installed paint.net
I also went back to the first link on this thread and found the downloads options on the far right hand side.
Thanks for your help Ego and also to Simon for the plugin

#14 Ego Eram Reputo

Ego Eram Reputo

2013 Proton Award Winner

• Moderators
  • 7,457 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:29 AM

Glad I could help. I trust you've got this plugin working now? :D

#15 Vince

Vince
  • Newbies
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Simon,

I'm surprised to find artifacts in the normal maps created by this plugin.  As no one has reported this before, I assumed it was something unique to my system or I was doing something wrong.  I tried it on a different system, but got similar results.  One is a Dell laptop with an integrated GPU, the other is a Falcon NW with a discrete nVidia card.  The laptop is running Windows XP Professional, SP3.  The desktop is running Windows XP Home, SP3.

Although the artifacts appear to be present most of the time, they are most obvious when derived from artificial displacement maps with steep contours.

The following picture shows the displacement map on the bottom, an artifact free normal map created from it in the middle, and one showing the artifacts at the top.

NormalMapIssue1.png

I also created a normal map while zoomed in near the center at 800%.  The resulting map is show below zoomed at 200% so you can see the artifacts more clearly.  Note that the portion that was visible on the screen does not have the artifacts.
NormalMapIssue2.png

The issue seems to be associated in some way with the aspect of the image and the zoom level when it is made.  I tried with and without antialiasing, and with both normal blending and overwrite.  I tried with the dimensions in pixels equal to powers of two and not.  These seem to have no affect.  I also tried NormalMapPlus in a new installation of Paint.Net (3.5.10) with no other .dlls in the Effects folder.

If I have missed something obvious, I apologize.  I understand that you converted this from someone else's work and may not be able to fix this.  I would like to know if others can reproduce my results.

Vince

Edited by Vince, 24 December 2012 - 11:27 AM.