[SOTW Discussion] Talk inside...

Sozo

Drew,    

My condolences to you at this sad time.  

• Upvote 1

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

Thank you all for your kind words. It means a lot to have such great support. Mum had a nice send off today with a lot of the family present.

Sadly on monday 23rd of January I lost a niece at the tender age of 33. It goes without saying that the family is crushed. Not a good start to our year. I will return to host the comp in the near future, but not sure how soon.

Once more, many thanks for the condolences. Those I have not yet rep'd I will give them when mine are refreshed again.

Drew.

• Upvote 5

BREtKQW.png

Sorry to hear that Drew.

I lost my father 5 years ago

I just want to say : be strong, Life goes on.

Edited by Shochi
  • Upvote 1

On 24/01/2017 at 8:37 PM, DrewDale said:

Thank you all for your kind words. It means a lot to have such great support. Mum had a nice send off today with a lot of the family present.

Sadly on monday 23rd of January I lost a niece at the tender age of 33. It goes without saying that the family is crushed. Not a good start to our year. I will return to host the comp in the near future, but not sure how soon.

Once more, many thanks for the condolences. Those I have not yet rep'd I will give them when mine are refreshed again.

Drew.

:( Oh no Drew. Very sorry to read this :(

• Upvote 1

ZXCBOoZ.png

I notice Pixey's link to Art Nouveau examples shows a preponderance of images of lovely young women. Though that was a common theme, there were many others, including peacocks, flowers, and dragonflies. Typical characteristics include sinuous lines and an emphasis on flat, poster-like colors, which was inspired by Japanese woodcuts. Louis Comfort Tiffany is associated with the style.

25 minutes ago, MJW said:

I notice Pixey's link to Art Nouveau examples shows a preponderance of images of lovely young women. Though that was a common theme, there were many others, including peacocks, flowers, and dragonflies. Typical characteristics include sinuous lines and an emphasis on flat, poster-like colors, which was inspired by Japanese woodcuts. Louis Comfort Tiffany is associated with the style.

I've added another link with a few more variations that you mention ;)

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

On 1/24/2017 at 2:37 PM, DrewDale said:

Drew.

Oh NO Drew, I'm so sorry! You take care of yourself and your loved ones. We'll be thinking about/praying for you.

• Upvote 1

1496930299_DraconicSig.png.8e49d04e5ce393bdcdf9f0dfb54bf1c8.png

I would like to request that Pixey extend the deadline of the Art Nouveau to make it a two-week competition. That Mosaic comp rather surprisingly had enough entries in a week, but it's the last in quite a while to do so. Also, I've been somewhat busy, and don't know if I'll have time by Saturday to complete an entry.

• Upvote 1

As soon as I woke up this morning I thought to myself, "I think I'll extend the Art Nouveau competition another week."  I too needed more time.

So, the completion is now extended to Saturday 11th February 2017.  The deadline being 7:pm (UK time) here is a link to the World Time

• Upvote 3

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Art Nouveau seems like a very elegant theme thanks to the link by Pixey, showing posters of what I assume to be illustrations of women on the late 1800s. They are somewhat comparable to Mary Cassatt flat-color paintings, inspired by Japanese art that I read about in my opinion.

I would love if I can make one but too much work for me to achieve what I had in mind, especially that I imagined if I could model it from someone rather special that I also wish would celebrate Valentines Day with me.

I'm not motivated at the moment to try it or even start a canvass just to see how it could play out.

@Ishi, it is very elegant! It used a lot of natural elements and had a lot of all-around "softness" to it. I agree with your Mary Cassatt comparison btw. (...I'll delete my additional rambling and stop here; Art Nouveau is one of my favorite styles so I can get a bit long-winded about it!)

• 2 weeks later...

It's already Wednesday and there have been no entries into SOTW#163.  Is the Topic unfavorable and would another theme be more interesting?

30b8T8B.gif

I believe the topic is fine, though I haven't had the time to explore it. I think it would be nice to have an extension of the deadline :)

It's an interesting topic--thermal imaging can create some really neat results. Unfortunately my contribution might be a self-portrait if I don't kick this bronchitis soon! (Don't even ask how much trouble I had making that red metal ring, ugh.)