[SOTW Discussion] Talk inside...

Sozo

Well thanks again Maximillian.

That idea needs some support and approval from our forumers to take hold. The SOTW is the only competition that is still currently active as or recent months.

If no other suggestions are made regarding the next topic, then I would humbly proceed to ask Drewdale to start the competition on the "Impressionism" theme. I think I know someone here who has advantage over us on that style but that's part of the challenge anyway. ;) As of this posting, I'd wait another day for suggestions. Thank you.

The SOTW is the only competition that is still currently active as or recent months.

SOTW is now every two weeks due to a low turn out, some folk even enter two sigs to top it up, paint job contest soon faded into history, logo / banner challenge went the same way, even sig battles and image battles are long drawn out comps now. Always good to have new ideas for competitions, all you need is members to actually enter and support it on a regular basis ;)

• Upvote 2

Y7O8WRy.png

Could not be more true Oceana.

I think part of the reason is we don't have that many active members to participate and replace the inactive ones.Obviously, we are not as big as others forums in terms of actively participating people. I see posts of several people who have been here prior to my joining and have not been active for years. If there was a way to legally and freely advertise PDN somewhere to attract more people, maybe that would help. PDN has the shorter learning curve I think.

I did notice that SOTW now takes two weeks. That's the reason I was able to come up with something rather work demanding last time.

In the Graffiti / Urban Art SOTW comp, there were 13 participants, and 17 entries. Those are quite a respectable numbers, I'd say. I wish more non-participants would stop by to vote.

I wish more non-participants would stop by to vote.

Speaking for myself, I always vote whether I have entered or not, I have supported the comps since I joined the forum :)

• Upvote 1

swIFX9v.png

So are you guys in favor of Impressionism? Any more suggestions?

Most folk never ask for a suggestion, it is up to the winner as it states is the entry thread "The winner of the current SOTW gets to choose the subject for the next competition" Why delay the launch of the next comp ? There is talk of dead competitions further up this thread and here we have a winner who is delaying a competition launch. If you have a topic, PM the host and let us get on with entering it. !

• Upvote 5

swIFX9v.png

I wish more non-participants would stop by to vote.

I forgot this time, sorry everyone!... great variety of entries this comp too.

I enjoyed seeing them all as they were posted, then thought I had plenty of time to make my mind up but the voting deadline crept up too quickly.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

sashwilko, I very much appreciate your diligence in voting, though I didn't intend to (as they said in the 60s) lay a guilt trip on Red ochre or anyone else. I confess that I, too, have occasionally neglected to vote. I intend to, but keep putting it off, till I realize it's too late.

Ishi, it is, in the words of Rob Petrie, time to cook or get off the stove.

Drew, I'm not sure what the rule is for how many entries can be voted for, but in my opinion it shouldn't be over half the entries. I'd favor something closer to about a third. Perhaps somewhat more for themes that don't attract many entries.

• Upvote 1

OK then lets begin since there are no more theme suggestions.

We have a good two weeks to do something.

Plenty of time to plan, look for inspiration, work and slack munching some potato chips whilst staring at the screen. :P

Good luck everyone.

Assuming the new comp can begin today or tomorrow, I hope it will end on Friday of next week, to keep with the more-or-less usual schedule. That still gives plenty of time.

Assuming the new comp can begin today or tomorrow, I hope it will end on Friday of next week, to keep with the more-or-less usual schedule. That still gives plenty of time.

I have added a couple of extra days to the deadline for this weeks comp, this will still give entrants the same number of days to take part. ;)

Also added the new rule stating vertical or horizontal sigs can be entered. Plus I agree with you on how many to vote for, I will certainly look into this on a comp to comp basis, cheers for mentioning it B)

• Upvote 3

BREtKQW.png

• 2 weeks later...

I see some very good entries this time around in the Impressionism competition. I also see one or two not providing links to images used ? I would think if you have edited a photo (stock or found) then it would be the decent thing to do and provide a link to the original also. Even upload the original to a hosting site ? 

A few have supplied links and it is interesting to see just what manipulations have been done, well done for your creativity. :)

Edited by mottoman

HFuQlot.png

Just in case anyone thinks I forgot to add a link to my kitties =O I'd like to clarify that it was all 'painted' in PDN by moi :D and no photo or stock were used.

Yes, agreed Mottoman - the entries are fabulous.  Nothing from Ishi though who gave us the great theme ;) .

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I see some very good entries this time around in the Impressionism competition. I also see one or two not providing links to images used ? I would think if you have edited a photo (stock or found) then it would be the decent thing to do and provide a link to the original also. Even upload the original to a hosting site ? 

A few have supplied links and it is interesting to see just what manipulations have been done, well done for your creativity. :)

Uploading the original image that I shot with my camera is not a good idea. What purpose would that give? This is a contest for image manipulation, not photo contest. I see no value for uploading two images.

Well here's a novel approach: If you don't like an image for any reason, don't vote for it....

Here's my original as shot with my camera Hornet (Wasp actually) resized down.

Qk6QE31.jpg

I still don't know why I waisted my time uploading the original.

69unju0.gif

On 8/2/2016 at 4:38 PM, dipstick said:

I still don't know why I wasted my time uploading the original.

LOL. :lol:

It's not about the photo itself. People like to see what changes were made compared to the original photo.

Are people more likely to vote for you if you've made many changes rather than very few? Who knows... Personally, I vote based on the finished entry.

It's also good to give credit if it's a third-party photo. Some third-party photos are under a license that requires attribution, where you have to link to the original (or just mention the source/author in some cases).

Even if it's a public domain image, it's good to give credit.

• Upvote 2

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

It has been my understanding from past comps from eons ago, that if you have taken the photo or created an element (say one of Pixey's delightful kitties or the eye that I often use) there is no need to post links for those. However, if you use an image sourced elsewhere such as the internet, you must provide links. Having said that, there are time when we have an image but no longer have the source. 

May we please get some clarification on this?

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Maybe all we need to do is state that the link is unavailable and tell where we got it from.  That's what I did with one of my entries. 

I even looked on Webshots site to see if they still had the photo...I couldn't find it.  (The photo is from back when Windows ME was out, so it is very old.)

But I liked the photo and used it.  The other two are my own photos...so I simply stated that.

But some more clarification would be helpful... :)

• Upvote 1

Maybe all we need to do is state that the link is unavailable and tell where we got it from.  That's what I did with one of my entries. 

But some more clarification would be helpful... :)

That's exactly it, mention the link / source of the original. If it's one of your own photo's just provide a link to the image you used, simply upload your original to your fave image hosting site, no need to upload the image on to here.

To quote Toe_head - "People like to see what changes were made compared to the original photo"  Couldn't agree more. A before / After is always of interest.

• Upvote 2

BREtKQW.png

Nothing from Ishi though who gave us the great theme ;) .

Sorry I wasn't able to finish an artwork for several days. :(

I lost connection at home and I think I'm just uninspired to try and make a new artwork cause it would take up time and the one I had in mind is rather ambitious. I think I might sink into some PDN art hiatus.

Need something to cheer me up.

dipstick, you spelled 'horse's' wrong, but other than that I'm still trying to pick myself up off the floor!!     :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

interesting entry....

Edited by lynxster4