100% Paint.net Planet Tutorial

flip

Okay, so here's my second attempt. I need help with it; kinda looks pretty awful. :(

Planet-2b.jpg

Rammstein_Sig.jpg

See All My Creations

Here

New To PDN - Any Tips or Constructive Criticism Welcome

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the tutorial.

-----------------------------

YUk33bM2.png

Ice Moon

did you make that picture with the whispy cloud stuff? if its from another tute can you link me to it, if its not... do you know how to do it? it looks fantastic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is my result, but I had problems to make smth like a sun behind the planet. Which tool is best for getting a nice effect?

planetw.jpg

prototypen.png

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's my result. I changed this tutorial a little and made a Moon, instead of a Planet(like Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, etc).

Moon_finished.jpg

Edited by proverbs2221
Sig.jpg

This is my second try at it. I am a complete "newbie", so I hope I did it right. I added some special effects, hope that's all right boltbait.smile.png Thanks for the great tutorial!

123.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Here's what I got. I went for more of a lava type planet. I would like to add a starscape and possibly small faint rings around the planet, but am having trouble figuring it out. Any suggestions? Thanks for the awesome tutorial!!

post-66710-128884529131_thumb.png

• 3 months later...

Very nice tutorial. I dunno why I'd never thought of using the transparency gradiant thing or making the inner glow big and the outer one really tiny. It looks really great.

Anyway, here's my result:

anewplanetmini.png

Used my own texture, and threw in some more stuff as I went along. xD

The glowing dots on the planet are s'posed to look like cities.

"Sir, we're surrounded!" "Excellent, we can attack from any direction."
1.png2.png3.png4.png

I like the way you have re-jigged the tutorial. Nice one flip. ;)

Just one problem though. There is no need to add this part (highlighted in red) -

`Use the magic wand tool to select the OUTSIDE of your planet. Then, WITHOUT DE-SELECTING ANYTHING, make two new layers.

Select the top layer and INVERT THE SELECTION. (CONTROL + I) You should now have the outside of the planet selected. Fill the outside with the color you want your inner glow to be'.

As you have already selected the outside of your planet there is no need to invert the selection or you will end up with the wrong part selected.

Just thought I would mention it as it could be confusing to some people. The rest of the tut is top draw and really well done. ;)

Edited by Goonfella

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

I'm liking the new texture. nice work! I'll have to try a few things with this some time...

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

• 3 months later...

While there are a bunch of planet tutorials out there, I think this one delivers the best results. Nice work, Flip! Here's something I made a while ago using this tutorial, combined with some other effects I learned along the way (everything is 100% Paint .NET). The planet is based on the planet Hillys from the game Beyond Good & Evil:

hillys_PaintNet.jpg

Edited by Draikin

• 1 year later...

Great and awesome tutorial. The displacement plug-in on the clouds created a moon-like texture. This texture can be tweaked for something different.

Required plug-ins for this

Sepia 2 and/or colour filter

1. Finish making the planet.

2a. Run Sepia 2 at any setting you like on the planet layer. The advantage Sepia 2 has over the normal Sepia plug-in is that you can vary the shades of brown. Certain settings can make the texture resemble the surface of the planet Mercury.

OR

2b. Run colour filter at any setting you wish on the planet layer. Keep the filter density high for a complete, high saturated colouring. You can change the moon-like planet into a wasteland planet by giving a high density of red colour filter. Use a medium-high density amount if you don't want the planet to be dark but still have plenty of colour. A low amount, adds a tinge of a low-saturation colour. Use a medium amount if you want a 'go-between.' Set the 'preserve highlights' settings to zero.

3. If you made an atmosphere, follow these steps to recolour it. Run sepia 2 at a low setting or run colour filter with a low to medium density. Set preserve highlights to something between 0 and 130.

4. There you go.

Here is a suggestions for the planet, see attachment for more.

Colour filter hue to red, density high to get a nuclear wasteland or wartorn planet. Or a reddish-planet.

Also try setting the colour hue to 'flip', the density to 'great tutorial' and give it a colour filter and/or a Brightness/Contrast (or H&S) touch-up to get any of these stunning results.
:P:D;):)

Psot.txt

Edited by Yusuf Zah

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

PlanetOatmeal1800X600JPEG.jpg

I really learned a great deal from this tutorial. Enjoyed it very much. Here's something I had some fun making. I call it Planet Oatmeal because I used a picture I took of boiling oatmeal to make the planet template. Added some color and the rest was learning your method of adding the glows and the gradient. Awesome tutorial, I'll keep working on it. Thanks!

• Upvote 1
cweber54logo3NeonMushrooms.jpg