How to make a Glassy Vase

yellowman

Moderators Note: Pixey has republished this excellent tutorial with Yellowman's permission.

Find the updated version here: https://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/111575-how-to-make-a-glassy-vase/

Part-2
In this part we will make this glassy vase:
th_glassvase.jpg

Plugins needed for this tutorial are

1-Shape 3D, by MKT, visit plugin page http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=18968
2-Octagonal/quad reshape/matte   or    Quadrilateral Reshape by evanolds, visit plugin page http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=13003
3-Splashes, by MadJik, visit plugin page http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=9300
4-Polar transformation, by MadJik, visit plugin page http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=9364
5-Transparency,by BoltBait,visit plugin page http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=2800

Lets start:
1-Start with new file 800w by 780h pixel(larger canvas better result)
2-Fill it with black, this is the background layer
3-Add new layer, name it body interior and fill it with transparent white 40:
th_image1.png

4-Add new layer,name it body exterior, if you are planing to add some Inscriptions then add them to this layer(like lines, rings, stars or any shapes) I will add some transparent green paint leak lets see how:
5-Fill exterior layer with white, use Splash plugin(find it in Effect>Render>Splashes) and make your splash shape (you can choose your own color) and fill inside with same color, like this:
th_image2.png

th_image3.png

6-Convert the splash from polar effect to rectangle effect using Polar transformation and choose Transform polar to Rectangle effect option(find it in Effect>Distort>Polar transformation):
th_image4.png

7-Add some transparency (-80) to body exterior layer using Transparency plugin (find it in Adjustments>Transparency):
th_image5.png

8-Add new layer, name it highlight and draw some white thin rectangles starting from top to bottom:
th_image6.png

Use Linear Gradient with Transparency Mode to fade up the top and the bottom of the white rectangles created above:
th_image7.png

9-Make the secondary color black, open Canvas Size ( Find it in Image>Canvas Size)and change the image height from 780 to 800 pix choosing Middle anchor:
th_image8.png

10-Now select body interior layer, open Shape 3D plugin and apply these effect and values showing in 12 red arrows in the image below:
Hint: Don't reset the effects and values those you made in Shape 3D plugin, cause we will use them almost same in some other layers, or you can save them as XML(find it in the plugin taskbar) and reload them when it needs.(thanks Goonfella for this tip)
th_image9.png

11-Select body exterior layer and apply Shape 3D plugin changing only these 2 values from step 10:
th_image10.png

12-Select highlight layer and apply Shape 3D with same values in step 11 changing only the Texture Map from Half Cylinder Map(repeat) to Half Cylinder Map and turn off the light, then use the Transparency Mode gradient to fade up the highlights if they look too bright:
th_image11.png

13-Make sure the top layer is the highlight then body exterior then body interior then merge them and name they resulted layer body, you should get an image like this:
th_image12.png

We are done from the vases body, lets move now to the head and base:
14-Turn off the body layer( for better view) and add a new layer name it head and fill it with transparent white 40:

15-Add new layer and name it head highlight and draw white rectangles something similar as in step "8" above:
th_image13.jpg

15-Open Shape 3D on head layer and Reset All old values and apply these new values shown in red arrows:
th_image14.png

16-Select head highlight layer and apply Shape 3D with same previous values changing only Texture Map from Half...(repeat) to Half Cylinder Map and turn off the light, you will get this shape:
th_image15.png

17-Now lets add thickness to head, duplicate head layer and open Rotate/Zoom (find it in: Layers>Rotate/Zoom) with these values:
Hint: If you like to use different values then play with Zoom and Pan effects to align the image so the top ring in two layers sit well exactly on each other.
Then merge the two head layers to get some thing like this:
th_image16.jpg

18-Make sure the head highlight layer is on top of head layer then merge both, Don't merge them with body layer (which is already off)...!
Then add new layer and draw a white ellipse with 4 pixels width on the top ring of head layer, align or re-shape it if it needs using Move Selected Pixels tool to sit exactly on the edges like this:
th_image17.png

19-Use Gradient tool with Transparency Mode to add some gradient effect to the ellipse then merge it with head layer:
th_image18.png

20-Use Bulge effect( find it in: Effect>Distort>Bulge) to add some curvature to right and left side of the cylinder shape in head layer:
-For right side:
th_image19.jpg

-And for left side just change (1) to (-1) as shown below:
th_image20.jpg

21-In this step we will use Octagonal/quad reshape/matte plugin (find it in: Effect>Octagonal/quad reshape/matte) and this plugin has no values to play with, so it all depend on you on how to give a cone shape to the object in head layer, in the image below, as we see we just moved the 2 knobs in bottom corners toward the center of the canvas leaving some space in between the two knobs (don't forget to choose Reshape option), any way you can shape the image as you like but turn on the body layer first to shape the head to something that match the vase body
1th_image21.png

22-Select the head shape with Rectangle Select tool and size it down to make the bottom ellipse same size as the top ellipse in the body layer:
th_image22.jpg

23-Now lets do the base, it is same like the head so lets go quick on it:
-Turn off body and head layers temporary.
-Add new layer name it base fill it with transparent white 40
-New layer highlight, draw the white rectangles, and give them some transparent gradient
-Apply Shape 3D with the values shown:
For base layer
th_image23.png

For base highlight layer
th_image24.png

-New layer for the white ellipse and apply the Transparent gradient for the bottom ring this time(see step 18)
th_image25.jpg

-Merge all 3 layer for the base(base, base highlight and ellipse layers)
-Use Bulge to add some curvature to the sides
For right side
th_image26.png

And for left side
th_image27.png

-Turn on body and head layers, use Octagonal/quad reshape/matte plugin to create the cone shape for the base layer, this time is up side down:
th_image28.png

-Select the base shape with rectangle selection and reshape/resize it to sit fit in the vase base:
th_image29.png

24-Turn the body layer to black and white, use Curves and/or Brightness/Contrast effects under Adjustments to give the 3 elements similar effects, put head on top of all then body then base and merge the 3 layers.
th_image30.png

25-Add new layer and draw these 3 curves or as you like, using Line/Curve tool with width about 18 pixels:
th_image31.jpg

26-Gaussian Blur the 3 line with a mount of 27 to 30:
th_image32.jpg

27-Select vase layer and use Magic Wand with low Tolerance (15 to 20)to select the outside around the vase, then switch to other layer(layer with blurd curved lines) and hit Delete on the keyboard to cut the extra pieces from the lines.

Then add a good background or additional effect as you like or change the color (to change the color use Sepia effect then Hue/Saturation effect) to get this final glassy vase:
th_glassvase.jpg

I hope it is clear and easy to follow, thanks for visiting.
Here are some other Vases shapes
:
th_3sizes.png th_blueblue800.jpg th_redgreenblue.jpg

Well...*looks around*...this one got sticky quicky. :-P

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Very nice, I was almost done with the head when PDN crashed, so sorry no result from me. Also you might want to look at step 10 again :wink: .

yhsjjie.png

History repeats itself, because nobody was paying attention the first time.

OK just checking. You`d be surprised how many people miss the obvious . I`m only trying to help. :roll:

Here are the settings then -

1.Choose cylinder-half cylinder map repeat

2 Scaling 0.500, Height 0.010

3 Style -Top Ball at 1.000. Bottom Ball 2.300

4 Camera angle 6.0

5 Axis-1 at 15, 2 & 3 at zero.

6 Anti alias ON at 1

7 Pan - Move Y at 0.230

There . I hope this helps you to finish the pic.

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Thanks Goonfella for your help, I am sorry for being late to answer

@jerzyborn, I don't understand what you mean by you can't read the image? Is the image damaged or something? What about other images do you have same problem? Be more clear so we can help? You have to click it twice to see it in full size.

Use this tool - :RectangleSelectTool: (rectangle select) and draw around the base you have just made to select it. Then use this tool - :MoveTool: (move tool) to resize and position it.

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Absolutely love this tutorial! Will put up my result soon.

Overall great tutorial and you are the first subject of my new tutorial commenting system. So here goes:

How well written it is: 9/10

How easy it is to understand: 8/10

How good the result is: 8.5/10

Overall rating: 9/10

• 3 weeks later...

Really nice tut! :]

I really like the result but......

I dont like how you made the bottom part........ I think you shouldve just skipped that part. It would look more like a vase if there was only the body and the head. So here's my try:

glassyvasecopy.png

Is it good enough...?xD

And its kinda choppy once you add in the last shine on the vase. It needs a lot of feathering.

Hello - I'm just about to do your turorial and have noticed that my Transparency plug in doesn't look like yours (no little window to make it go minus) :roll:

transparency.gif

Just wondering if it's going to make much difference?

Thanks.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Slide it 80% to the left side (Transparent) will give you same result.

Or put the slider on the 3rd dot from left.

Brilliant, many thanks - watch this space! (might be a long wait as this tutorial looks 'complicated') :?

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

You are very welcome, I am waiting to see what you can make, I am sorry for this tutorial being complicated, you are right about this point, :idea: why don't you try the Part One tutorial? That is easier then come back to this one.

Edit: :oops: sorry I just remembered that you did that already and the result was very good :)

You are very welcome, I am waiting to see what you can make, I am sorry for this tutorial being complicated, you are right about this point, :idea: why don't you try the Part One tutorial? That is easier then come back to this one.

Edit: :oops: sorry I just remembered that you did that already and the result was very good :)

Ha! I was just about to correct you..... no matter, I will now attempt the "vase". I just loved, BTW, your glossy balls in Helen's tutorial.

:wink:

30b8T8B.gif

Every time I start to merge layers it gets darker. By the time I merged the entire vase, I couldn't see the vase at all. What am I doing wrong?