How to Install Plugins ×

Low Color Filetype (bmp, gif, png, tiff) [20091204]

jxp

For those seeking the very smallest file size due to reduction of color pallete, you should know that the TIFF-IV

( specifically -IV ) has a single bit ( black or white ) color pallette that is used by the Smithsonian and the US Patent

office for the digital storage of all documents. So if you are interested in reduced file size for documents or

drawings, the TIFF-IV is the solution. BTW, this is also a standard in the engineering and construction industry

and was not surprisingly invented for FAX transmissions long long time ago.

The major drawback with TIFF is that there is a serious lack of support from modern browsers because it is such an old format. The format is therefore a poor choice for web graphics.

TIFF is minimally supported in Paint.NET and the developer (Rick Brewster) has made it clear in numerous forum posts and blog entries that this situation is not about to change. Where possible the use of PNG is encouraged.

You should also know that Paint.NET does not support 1-bit (monochrome) TIFF images (or layering or multiple images in TIFF files).

• 2 months later...

Save it as a GIF. GIF's have a 256 slot palette.

Alternatively, this plugin has options to save in different formats - I think all of them have a 256 (8-bit) option.

Thank you for answer, but for some reason such way saved file can not be open in programs as packed 8-bit palette bitmap file. The error is: "Bitmap file size check failed".

When file is converted with Corel Draw for example it can be used without any problems.

I am not familiar with picture formats. May be I need to check what bitmap file consists after Paint.net converting and compare with file converted by Corel Draw.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this thread hasn't been active in a while, but I wanted to check if anyone else has a problem with this plugin not working? I have placed it in the filetypes folder and checked that security hasn't blocked it and my program is updated, but the plugin simply does not show up in paint.net, no error message whatsoever. Could this maybe be because the plugin is out-of-date, or something else? I can't find any comparable option so I really want this to work!

3 hours ago, n.m.p. said:

I can't find any comparable option so I really want this to work!

This plugin is designed for saving files. The result of this plugin you can find under File -> Save As... -> Bitmap (Low color) (*.bmp) (or GIF (Low color) (*.gif), or PNG (Low color) (*.png), or Tiff (Low color) (*.tif; *.tiff))

Edited by ReMake
Modified the text.

• 1 month later...

Hello.

I got an issue: when saving images to 16-bit BMP or TIFF, they always become dithered, despite of setting Dither = 0 in the save dialogue.

Can it be fixed, please.

I'm using Paint.NET 4.1.6, Windows 7 32bit.

Attaching the sample original and converted-to-16bit image.

BMP_to_16bit_sample.zip

Edited by Tcheluskin

I'm only able to replicate the dithering effect in your second image when the transparency of the layer is reduced.

Is it possible you had the layer transparency at less than 255?

Ego Eram Reputo

I tried saving to 16-bit BMP and TIFF with different settings of Transparency from 0 to 255 in the save dialogue, the result does not change.

The dithering appears constantly only for 16-bit, not for 256 or 16 color.

UPD: Tried on the other PC with Windows 7 64-bit, Paint.NET 4.0.19, downloaded the LowColor plugin just now — the same dithering always present.

UPD2: Pardon, probably you've meant the Transparency property of the layer in the Paint.NET itself. It was always 255 (not transparent).

Edited by Tcheluskin

• 2 years later...