Possum Roadkill Gallery

Possum Roadkill

I finally got back to work after a few days of fighting with a forum hosting company and have finished the Bluegrass instruments piece. I have been knocking ideas around for what kind of background to do and decided to do a Smokey Mountain abstract kind of thing. I don't know, it sure could have turned out better. It's the idea I was shooting for, but I guess I got a little rusty and didn't pull it off like I see it in my head. Maybe I'll return to it later.....but now I have some water to work on..... :wink:

SmokeyMountainBreakdown.png

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

And occasionally steal ideas from you ! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: As long as you do a better job ... me no care :wink:

Great job on your latest image, neat idea and neat execution.

Well don't hold your breath for that. I have a long way before I ever do anything as good as your stuff !

Oh, Which of my latest?

Not bad!

Now, how about trying to do everything in PDN without the starting photo(s)? :)

What do you think? My first attempt at it.... :D

th_FromWaterComesLife4.png

Love the concept and originality behind this , cant help but wonder how it would look if the humming birds were made from soapy bubbles adding a hint of colour (of course that might flatten and kill the over all effect) great work Possum... :)

Yes very good. I like all the bubbles emerging from the glass.

Just one small point though - the floor is stone/gravel right? If so then surely there would not be a reflection at the bottom of the glass ?

Apart from that , excellent work. :wink:

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Nicely done, I like.

And? I mean, yes I am happy with it for a first attempt, but since you are the one who mentioned doing it with no photo, I thought I might get a .... Well Possum, you need to look under that magic bush there to find out how to.... and over there under the giant slab of marble you might find a clue to ....... and at the end of the rainbow you are sure to realize that you should..... Oh, OK, I'll go back and read all your tuts again, then again and a third time. Then I will search through all the posts for the little tid bits of knowledge you hide amongst the stars. And then I will be back with another image that just doesn't look like glass or water. I just am not making the connection to the transparent. Too big for my walnut sized brain.

Love the concept and originality behind this , cant help but wonder how it would look if the humming birds were made from soapy bubbles adding a hint of colour (of course that might flatten and kill the over all effect) great work Possum... :)

I can't take credit for the concept or really much at all in this case except I really did paint the entire image with no photos ! :lol: In the image manipulation section I posted an explanation of where the idea came from. It was a tut from a photoshop site and I just kind of did my thing with it. It was Ash's idea to do the whole thing without the stock photos. So you see, I just painted it, it really wasn't my idea at all. And see, you have added an idea to the mix. I really like that idea too. Soapy water? Like maybe from a basin of soapy water and something made of soap bubbles rising out of the water? Soap Monster ! Too Cooool !!!

Yes very good. I like all the bubbles emerging from the glass.

Just one small point though - the floor is stone/gravel right? If so then surely there would not be a reflection at the bottom of the glass ?

Apart from that , excellent work. :wink:

Actually the table top is my crappy green granite texture I did a while back. So it's supposed to be shiny like a granite table or counter, but it kind of sucks. I knew I should have used something else ! How about some shiny marble? I could also do a reflection of the water drops on the table top? That would look cool. Yes ! I think that might fix that part of it. But I still don't get how to make it look transparent like water. Man my head hurts !

I really like it, the only thing I can say you might need to change is, all the water is too uniformly round.

A few distorts should do, but I think will take too long to put everything together again.

Yes, I agree. And with all that water in the air, it seems that some of the drops would be hitting each other and splashing around. Yes it would take too long because I merged down layer after layer of water drops. Almost every drop was placed individually (especially the hummingbird) , but copied from other drops. There are only about 5 original drops in the image. The rest are modified copies. I plan on doing another image like this and will certainly use your suggestion.

ohhhhhhh hummingbirds. That is wonderful! I really like this concept.

great job.

ciao OMA

Thanks Oma ! You might like this piece. I've been experimenting with other methods that we have discussed and this space craft popped out of the ice. :lol:

I call this Out of the Ice....

th_OutOfTheIce_small.png

Hey PK, long time, no art see you!

That latest picture was an excellent example of how, when challenged, people can rise to the occasion. Beside the other comments made, I would like to point out that I noticed the reflection was not consistent. It starts as a fade on the left to the right. I'm thinking if you can somehow pull the "polished" marble look (I'm thinking a white/white transparent gradient after a white fill may do the trick), and add the reflection, you'll be all set.

I love how you did the hummingbirds. Very amazing! Reminds me of Helen's Sobe-inspired lizards that's in the Galleria.

I also want to say that even though you did an excellent job with the photo manipulation, I think you hit a home run with the latest piece, and I hope you keep churning out more high quality work.

Keep it up, I say!

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

OMFG !!! A feast for the eyes ... WhooHoo , totally awesome . Love the guitars and hummingbird :mrgreen: so beautiful .. Your work shows us the endless possibilities one can achieve with paint , only wished there was more time in the day to do some awesome creations like yours ... I know it took a lot of time and work .. :wink:

Hey PK, long time, no art see you!

That latest picture was an excellent example of how, when challenged, people can rise to the occasion. Beside the other comments made, I would like to point out that I noticed the reflection was not consistent. It starts as a fade on the left to the right. I'm thinking if you can somehow pull the "polished" marble look (I'm thinking a white/white transparent gradient after a white fill may do the trick), and add the reflection, you'll be all set.

I love how you did the hummingbirds. Very amazing! Reminds me of Helen's Sobe-inspired lizards that's in the Galleria.

I also want to say that even though you did an excellent job with the photo manipulation, I think you hit a home run with the latest piece, and I hope you keep churning out more high quality work.

Keep it up, I say!

Thanks so much for your constructive comments. I had to walk away from that piece for a few days or risk really messing it up. I'm still thinking about the marble, but I was also thinking a flat (as in no polish) slate table top as well. Like I told Ash, I might just put these suggestions in a new piece and leave this one as a learning experience. I don't know right now. Good eye on noticing the problems with the reflection, and that was not the only reflection that I had issues with, but the really difficult thing for me on this one was the shadow of the glass. I don't know why, but it about drove me crazy ! It might also have to be redone if I change the table top to another material. Again, I don't know right now. I'm trying to clear my mind with some abstracts.

OMFG !!! A feast for the eyes ... WhooHoo , totally awesome . Love the guitars and hummingbird :mrgreen: so beautiful .. Your work shows us the endless possibilities one can achieve with paint , only wished there was more time in the day to do some awesome creations like yours ... I know it took a lot of time and work .. :wink:

Oh thanks :oops: you're making me blush again :lol: I've been watching your work and I'm really amazed how fast you are progressing. Please keep it up ! I really enjoy going to your gallery. :D

This is my latest piece. I must be working out some frustration because this one is really over done. Waaaaaaay too busy, but for some reason, I couldn't stop. :lol: I learned quite a bit from doing it though and that was really the reason for it. This is pieces of Ash's 3D flower and Frozen byte's Spacescapes tuts put together. Then I added in a couple of pounds of angst threw it into a blender and poured it out on my mouse pad. It's called Seeds of Life.....

th_SeedsofLife.png

im sure i left a comment on seeds of life somewhere, hmm cant for the life of me think where :shock:. Oh well its prety darn amazing :mrgreen:

You're stuff's getting better :) I really like the out of the Ice and that realistic cup, but I can't imagine how a cup can be partially full like that right-side up underwater :lol:

Seeds of life is pretty cool too, nice use of PI :) However, it made me think of jelly fish invading space when I first saw it :lol:

im sure i left a comment on seeds of life somewhere, hmm cant for the life of me think where :shock:. Oh well its prety darn amazing :mrgreen:

Yes, you left them on a piece of paper that was wrapped around a brick that was thrown through my window. So that was you? You should have seen what the people who didn't like it did. :lol: j/k ! No seriously, I just read your comments in the Abstract Images section and I really appreciate them. I do have a long way to go on the space scape thing though. I think they are getting a little better, but still not nearly as good or as realistic as some of the others on here.

You're stuff's getting better :) I really like the out of the Ice and that realistic cup, but I can't imagine how a cup can be partially full like that right-side up underwater :lol:

Seeds of life is pretty cool too, nice use of PI :) However, it made me think of jelly fish invading space when I first saw it :lol:

Thanks ! Isn't it funny how sometimes you can create something really cool just by goofing around and trying things out? That's what the Out of the Ice image was. It seemed like I would try something and then I would say wow, that's really cool, now how did I do that? :lol: On The Seeds of Life image, I really do have to give Ash and Frozen byte the credit due because of their well written tuts and innovative techniques. Man I really did learn a lot from that image and reading their tuts. Highly recommended ! Uh, jellyfish? Ok I can see that in them too. I didn't think of that. You know you really could do a cool jellyfish using some of these techniques ! That would be awesome ! The title Seeds of Life comes from a piece of music by Thomas Dolby in an animated video Beyond the Mind's Eye. It was a collection of 3D animation that he wrote the score for. It looks pretty amateurish now but at the time it was very innovative because 3D animation was in it's infancy. If you ever get a chance to see it, you should. It has some of Dolby's best music ever.

Really cool! Really nice textures, too. I also like how you used subtle colors, yet the image is colorful. Brilliant!

Thanks Helen ! That means a lot coming from someone who's work I find very inspiring and a joy to look at. Again, the colors of the clouds are the result of the technique by Frozen byte. When I read through the tut, I went "yeah as if this will work.....well duh ! it was amazing when I started adding the color and ran the blur. My jaw just dropped ! I can't wait to try another one. :lol: I can't tell you how much this forum means to me. That people would be willing to share this kind of knowledge is the most wonderful thing ever. And the people I have met here are just some of the best people I have ever met. What a place !

Seeds of Life is wonderful, the colors are just great, I love the big seed in front, looks so beautiful an well done, I like the background also, especially those far galaxies they help to understand the subject much better at least for me :) .

And Out of the Ice, is awesome, a big eye and a fish mixed together, that what I can see in this image, and those icy mountains things looks great in the background, I like there blue color, good job.

:shock: excellent work on the humming birds. That definitely made a splash here :lol:

Out of the ice is great too ... love the colours in that

Thanks man ! I had a lot of fun with that. I want to do another one but I'm kinda stuck right now on where to go with it. In fact I've been stuck for about the last week with no good ideas. I guess I've hit a dead patch of brain cells. :lol: I thought to maybe get me out of the slump I would do another spider image. :D I know, how lame is that ! :P

It's called "Where Planets Come From" :lol:

th_WherePlanetsComeFrom.png

I love your Waaay to busy" and the "Where Planets Come From" and if I didn't say so already, I love the humming birds too.

"One can't complain. I have my friends. Someone spoke to me only yesterday." EEYORE

You certainly have some fascination with spiders, don't you? :lol:

I like the background, the door, the composition of the planets and the way you made that tile. The only thing that gets me is that the planets don't have adequate shading relative to the light source.

Other than that, that is a rather nice piece. :)