Cross-Processing

~Sagantor~

Cross-Processing

Some little words to say … (you can probably ignore it)

Hi, I’m Sagantor, a grammar school pupil and hobby graphic artist. For a long time I have been collecting experiences especially in the textures-area for computer games, I designed in 2D and later in level design for modifications for the gamebryo-engine. Paint.net is a very strong graphic program in my opinion … since the last 4 months I have been done all my new textures with it and must say that it’s a really good alternative to expensive applications like photoshop (and not so confusing like gimp :P ). With PND I found many new interesting aspects of graphic design. It wasn't the boring repetitive: go outside … make some pics from the ground with my digital cam … connect camera with the PC … make photos seamless, chance ambient, find proper lighting etc. It was the creative design aspect and I hope you enjoy my tutorial about the Cross-Process.

What is Cross-Processing?

In “Cross-Processing” films are developed with the wrong chemicals what proves a unique effect. For more information take a look at this link

And no, you don’t need to buy a new cam and chemicals do to that, we try to fake this process with some image adjustments.

Plugins you need!

Sharpen +

Gradient Blur

Hm, can we start now?

No! Hey … stop ...why not? We can start, but before we open Paint.net we should search an image we can change. Try to find something that isn’t extremely dark. You can use every pic you want. Landscapes, persons or one from your own huge/little gallery… it's your choice.

You can take a look at the stock area of deviant.art, too.

And now?

Jep, open your image with Paint.net. In this tutorial I’ll use one of SelkeySayNothing. You can download it here

Start

b]

At first we want to sharpen our image a little bit. Go to Effects/Photo/Sharpen + and set the values like mine. If your image is already super-high-extreme sharp you should use your own values.

b] (His values were: Amount 50, Radius 5, Threshold 0, Bright Borders 100, Dark Borders 100)

Now go to Adjustments/Curves/Luminosity …

3.jpg

It’s time for the Gradient Blur. You can find it under Effects/Blurs/Gradient Blur. If you use a photo of someone, place the center point in the face of the person. With other images: Place it on the main-object of your pic. Try to find a nice fix-point.

b] (His values were: X,Y offset: -0.29 and -0.65, Blur amount 10, Unblurred Distance 600, Blurred Distance 200, Blur shape: Circle/Ellipse. Distance mode, Invert, Show, all unchecked)

Create a new Layer :AddNewLayer: , set your foreground color to black and your secondary color to a transparency alpha of 0.

5.jpg

Press Shift+G :LinearGradient: and darken the 4 edges of the image a little bit with the gradient tool. After that, give this layer the opacity of 200.

b] (His values were Normal blend mode, 200 opacity.)

Merge the layer down and go to Adjustments/Curves again. Change mode to RGB. Change your Curves like this …

RED

7.jpg

GREEN

8.jpg

BLUE

9.jpg

And you should end up with something like this ...

AFTER ______________________________ BEFORE

b]b]

Hope you like it!

This Effect looks great on some of my other works …

old_kitchen_thumb.jpg

messy_thumb.jpg

Please comment, rate, ask questions if you want or leave your opinion about that here. And yeah, I would be glad if you could show your own works with the Cross-Processing-Method!

plsignatur.gif

Interesting Tutorial. Hopefully, this is not a “victim” of unfortunate circumstances?? One can never tell these days.

• 2 months later...
Interesting Tutorial. Hopefully, this is not a “victim” of unfortunate circumstances?? One can never tell these days.

I believe while this tutorial is interesting enough, the images are disturbingly non-family oriented borderline abusive leaving me to wonder why such pictures (Rule 12) are not requested to be changed or removed?

Very nice tut and that girl in the stock looks just like one of my friends :lol:

@Tabou ok so its a bit edgy but there is nothing really in the picture that is offencive? perhaps the alcohol bottles but thats it really :?. I personally don't see anything wrong with it enoguh to be taken down :roll:. Plus with a name of tabou and asking that is quite funny (but i can see your opinion i just mean funny due to the meaning of the word 'tabou'

Please read with astute calmness.

(I don't see anywhere where I wrote, remove the post?)

I realize “stock?” photos can be a limited resource especially if free but, this is the chosen photo? I find it odd on a "Family Friendly? Forum", pictures of a girl in underwear, looking completely plastered with beer bottles scattered, distressed on a toilet which actually could be someone friend (although I would question the "friend" part) family oriented. No disrespect. I'm a memeber because I like the product. I find your belittling it all, a bit disquieting and someone has to say these images are not OK. Because really. They're not OK.

Tabou

Which family member would you like her to be?

Sister, Mother....Daughter? (In a Family Frendly sort of way)

Not to mention, girls who have been in this situation preferring not to be.

Okay, so the moderator steps in:

Change the images. I've removed the old ones, that should be incentive. This is a family-friendly forum, and if they are offensive to several people, they do not meet the family friendly criteria. I was going to present it to the other mods for review when I saw them, but as I scrolled down the page and noticed that there was more discussion on how they weren't family friendly than on the tutorial itself...well, the decision was made.

This is a pretty good tutorial. Simple, good results. Don't let it be lost for lack of screenshots.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.