Hard Stone; Crumpled Paper; Burning Coals + Planet Texture!

indie88

This tutorial is extremely simple and can be used as a starting point for many many things including:

• [*:zv431f0e] Hard Stone Texture
    [*:zv431f0e] Realistic Crumpled Paper Texture
    [*:zv431f0e] Burning Coals
    [*:zv431f0e] Planet Textures

All of these require the basic 'Clouds' plugin.

#1 Smooth (Chalk) Stone/Realistic Paper

• [*:zv431f0e] Open a new Image (Size is up to you)
    [*:zv431f0e] Effects > Render > Clouds (Default Values)
    [*:zv431f0e] New Layer --> Render Clouds
    [*:zv431f0e] Change this layer's Blending Mode to "Difference"
    [*:zv431f0e] Add 4 or 5 layers total with Clouds and "Difference" Blending (Don't Duplicate)
    [*:zv431f0e] Flatten the image (Ctrl-Shift-F)
    [*:zv431f0e] Duplicate this layer TWICE
    [*:zv431f0e] Emboss the first Duplication (Stylize > Emboss) to around 45 Degrees (to the lower right), then lower the brightness all the way down (Adjustments > Brightness + Contrast)
    [*:zv431f0e] Set this layer's Blending Mode to "Overlay"
    [*:zv431f0e] Emboss the second duplication to around 135 degrees (top left!), and heighten the brightness all the way up. Set this layer's blending to "Overlay" too.
    [*:zv431f0e] For a PAPER or smoother rock texture REMOVE THE BOTTOM (un-embossed) LAYER and change colours or pick a layer as you feel necessary

Crumpled Paper (Or Chalk)

1paper.png

Light Rock

1rock.jpg

#2 Hard Rock/Super Realistic Planet Texture

• [*:zv431f0e] At this point you will have 3 layers (Clouds, White Emboss, Black Emboss)
    [*:zv431f0e] For an amazingly easy hand-made planet texture, try colourising (Tint or Filter/Swap) the White layer to blue, and the Black layer to green.
    [*:zv431f0e] This can then easily be used with Shape 3D to make a realistic planet (You'll probably want to re-emboss them following the steps above)
    [*:zv431f0e] As you can see, greyscale, this looks like a hard volcanic rock texture and looks pretty 3D! If the white areas are TOO white just play around with the brightness of the white layer.
    [*:zv431f0e] To get a more natural looking rock colour, use Curves or Curves+ (Adjustments > Curves) on the top (white layer) and play around with the lines ( I recommend less green and blue and more red - this will get you a nice brown)
    [*:zv431f0e] To get a 'Burning Coal' texture, use Curves on the bottom "Cloud" layer and ramp up the red!

Hard Rock

1hardrock.jpg

Planet Texture

1planet.jpg

Burning Coals

1coal.jpg

Remember to work with the colours and this simple process can take you a long, long way!

Indie :)

PS: Had a quick look and couldn't find anything similar (or, IMO, as good!), hopefully this can help some people, this is something I've discovered myself and am very happy with the (many!) results :)

PPS: I still can't beleive how this can be SOOOO simple and so versatile!

EDIT: My apologies. Imageshack is .

face3wy6.png

My dA - 2 New Images (Oil Painting of face & Exploding Planet Starscape - 18/11/07) & 1 new Haiku ("Love: I Remember" - 21/11/07)

Huh, that actually looks pretty good! Especially the ower blocks :D

Comments, anyone else?

Mega-edit: Just realised you don't need 5 seperate cloud layers with 'difference blending', just use "Difference" on Blend Mode in the settings as you Render > Clouds!

face3wy6.png

My dA - 2 New Images (Oil Painting of face & Exploding Planet Starscape - 18/11/07) & 1 new Haiku ("Love: I Remember" - 21/11/07)

• 4 weeks later...

With the crumpled paper layer on top and the light rock layer on bottom you can blend the top layer as Reflect and it makes a cool sort of shiny rock texture

sig2.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Great tut! I would post my creations, but they look pretty much exactly the same as yours. Thanks, I know I will use this in the future.

sig.png

• 1 month later...

Used it for a planet... but different colors than blue and green. I didn't want to make Earth.

29723_9916d75b59f0661e2c3ba38421b943e8

Now epic epiphany.

• 3 weeks later...

very neat tutorial i can see many uses for this.... heres a wallpaper i made could use some tweaks but it only took me like 4 mins to make lol so i am not complaining.

Hidden Content:
wanted.png

oh yeah that pic is of me i am a dork and like to take stupid pictures lol.... you should see the original its hilarious

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

• 5 months later...