How to make an old map

terrycain

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Well here's a tutorial adapted from a Photoshop's tutorial and as you've probably guessed we're going to make a map...

EDIT: There are now two ways for doing step 3, thanks to @PeaceHeather.

Below are links to the effects mentioned in this tutorial:
Threshold by @Ed Harvey
Multi-Threshold by @dpy
Curves+  and  Gradient Mapping by @pyrochild
Grid / Checkerboard by @BoltBait
Lines/Grid by @ReMake

Here's the final product:
Final.jpg

Step 1
Open up a new image :FileNew: 800x600 px (File => New).

Step 2
Apply Clouds effect :CloudsEffect: (Effects => Render => Clouds) and set Scale amount to 545.
Step2.jpg

Step 3 Way 1
Apply Posterize adjustment :PosterizeEffect: (Adjustments => Posterize), set all values to 2.
Step3a.png

Step 3 Way 2
Use the Threshold effect (Effects => Color => Threshold).

Now you move the sliders to add or subtract land/sea.
Step3b.png

Addition: There is a few more ways to make a black and white contrast image besides the above in step 3. You can use Brightness / Contrast :BrightnessContrast:  (Adjustments => Brightness / Contrast) with maximum contrast,
Step3c.png

or Levels :LevelsEffect: (Adjustments => Levels) with Input Histogram settings shown below,
Step3d.png

or Curves Icons-Curves-Effect.png(Adjustments => Curves), or Curves+ (Adjustments => Curves+) with Black & White built-in preset,
Step3e.png   Step3f.png

or Gradient Mapping (download preset  Black and White)
Step3g.png

All of the above ways will give you exactly the same results.

You should now have a black and white map looking like this:
Step3.png

Step 4
Use the Magic Wand :MagicWandTool: tool with the Flood mode set at Global :FloodModeGlobal: and Tolerance at 0, select the white and delete it.
Step4.png

Addition: You can skip this step using in step 3 Multi-Threshold effect (Effects => Multi-Threshold) with the settings shown below.
Step4a.png

Step 5
Make a new layer :LayersAddNewLayer: below the land and fill it with a dark brown colour (5C4D2B)
Step5.png

Step 6
Add a Radial :GradientTypeRadial: Gradient :GradientTool: to the dark brown background, the primary colour should be AB9E67 and the secondary colour should be 5C4D2B.
If you wish you could hide the map layer.

Step6.jpg

Step 7
Now, if you have hidden the map layer, unhide it then select it. Select the Paint Bucket :PaintBucket: tool, set the Flood mode to Global :FloodModeGlobal: and fill the black with dark brown colour 2A2415. You should now have something like this:

Step7.jpg

Step 8 (optional)
Create a new layer :LayersAddNewLayer: which should be on top of all layers and add a compass. If you need a compass image, open the image shown below in Paint.NET and invert its colors (Ctrl+Shift+I). Make sure it's only white and transparent.

Compass.png

Put the compass at the bottom right and set the layers opacity to 100. Merge layers down.

Step8.jpg

Step 9
Make a new layer :LayersAddNewLayer:. Change your primary colour to AB9E67 and the secondary colour to 5C4D2B.
Now go to Clouds effect :CloudsEffect: (Effects => Render => Clouds) and set Scale amount to 280.

Step9a.jpg

Now change the Layer Blending Mode :LayersLayerProperties: to Color Dodge and set Opacity to 75. Merge layers down.

Step9b.jpg

Step 10
Set your primary colour to Black :BlackAndWhite:. Make a new layer :LayersAddNewLayer:.  Run Grid / Checkerboard effect (Effects => Render => Grid / Checkerboard) and use the following settings,

Step10a.png

or use Lines/Grid effect (Effects => Render => Lines/Grid) with the settings shown below:

Step10b.png

Select the Move Selected Pixels :MoveTool:tool and move the grid to the left and up by 1 px. Change the Layer Opacity :LayersLayerProperties: to 75. Merge layers down.

Final.jpg

And you must be finished.

Results of the tutorial may vary, and you can change them according to suit your needs or preferences.

Added and edited by ReMake.

terrycaint.png

wow! If you combine this with this, you get a REALLY sweet map!

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I'm over on CartographersGuild.com, a lot of people dedicated to mapmaking, and folks there use a lot of really heavy-duty software just to produce cloud-based maps. :mrgreen: I'm actually writing a tutorial myself that uses PDN exclusively and gets some pretty nifty results. (I'm having fun being the subversive PDN person on the forum, because so few people over there use it and there are like TWO tuts in the entire forum that rely on PDN as the main software.)

If I may, terrycain, another thing you can do is run Threshold to get your black-n-white layer, and use the sliders to adjust the boundaries for your ocean/coastline. You can also run Alpha Mask to get the transparency you're after - if you get backwards results (ie land where you wanted ocean), you just Undo, Invert Colors (CTRL-Shift-I), and then run Alpha Mask again.

I don't want to hijack this thread, because terrycain's map has a very different style from mine and I like it, especially the antique feel of it. Those browns are gorgeous, dude. But if people are interested, I can post my tutorial here as well as over on CG once it's finished.

Cheers!

Heather

EDIT: *smacks forehead* You just taught me what Global mode is for, and saved me half a dozen rounds of Select - Fill - Rinse - Repeat. Sometimes, I am such a goober. :wink:

Thanks for the tips especially about the alpha mask and the threshold tip, if you dont mind i'll update my tutorial to incorporate the thing about the threshold, but i think i'll keep the bit about deleting the white because it reminds people what teh global option does.

terrycaint.png

This is a nice tutorial. Simple, but great result. Nice job. ;)

You can also whack the contrast up to maximum in Brightness/Contrast (CTRL + SHIFT + C), to achieve a similar posterize/threshold effect. Threshold is more flexible though.

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

yeh i thought about brightness and contrast but it doesnt give the best results and as you said Threshold is the best.

terrycaint.png

• 2 weeks later...

As another way to do step 3 you can use brightness/constrast and set constrast to 100, this way you don't have to download any plug-ins.

yhsjjie.png

History repeats itself, because nobody was paying attention the first time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

you were right that was wicked

but you know what is even wickeder putting it on a globe

(shape 3D)

heres mine

3637234565_d4059bdd74_o.png

• Like 1

3632658321_4bd2d2aa42.jpg

Yes, rogue is my real name.

you were right that was wicked

but you know what is even wickeder putting it on a globe

(shape 3D)

heres mine

3637234565_d4059bdd74_o.png

3632658321_4bd2d2aa42.jpg

Yes, rogue is my real name.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

map.png

haha, it's 3 different tutorials in 1 picture... the edging on the map, the texture on the map, and the actual map are all different tutorials I followed...

EDIT:

map2.png

a simpler map, without all of the other stuff and a frame...

• Like 1

Untitled1.png

Previously dgirl555, but now you can call me epic

Oh, and I really like airbrushing photos

They're carpet... hardwood takes waaaaaay to long...

Untitled1.png

Previously dgirl555, but now you can call me epic

Oh, and I really like airbrushing photos

• 4 weeks later...

I'm working on a semi-huge project that involves this... I'll be done sometime later. When I am, ... Yeah, I really don't know. :lol:

Signature-1.png

Trolololol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...