Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ego Eram Reputo

Stereogram / Autostereogram Tutorial

80 posts in this topic

I love to look at these things. Lovely colours! I really like the way they overlap. A great job from dynojuggler & EER.

.... Lovely colours!

Admission time: I cheat like hell :D

Used MadJik's Random Shape Fill repeatedly to fill the canvas then Dents to distort it.

Next I tile the result across the canvas in 128 pixel strips (Echo plugin makes this easy - it's one of the Stereogram Betas, but Panelling would also work)

Finally I repeat dents.

If the tiled strips don't line up nicely, run Echo again and fiddle with the horsiontal offset, then repeat dents again.

I dont get how your supposed to see the image :?

Some people have a really difficult time crossing their eyes while retaining focus on the image but that is what it takes for one of the techniques that does not use optics.

Oh wow, this is amazing. I've got to try to make sense of the tut sometime and try for myself. :mrgreen:

Great work.

EDIT:

Tried one. ^_^

wow

Noticed a couple things whilst making it.

1. The backfilling is required because for every pixel you move the popout one way, it reverses its appearance the OTHER way (works on two planes - left/right and front/back. So you're actually making a DOUBLE sterogram, one in front and to the left, one behind and to the right [in the tut's moves]).

2. This is more easily noticable on not-very-well-tiled backgrounds like mine, but every stereogram has the image drawn onto the background (behind the popouts. See the "wow" that's stuck there? If you've got good eyes, you can see the ABC in the background of OP's sterogram. Faintly, but it's there). Any ways around this?

Edited by EXCELERATE

2. This is more easily noticable on not-very-well-tiled backgrounds like mine, but every stereogram has the image drawn onto the background (behind the popouts. See the "wow" that's stuck there? If you've got good eyes, you can see the ABC in the background of OP's sterogram. Faintly, but it's there). Any ways around this?

That's why you need to backfill a number of times for each element. You need to "fill" the holes to the left of the rightshifted element. These will be spaced across the image in strips the same width as the phase.