Smart Edge Selection Tool

Crazy Man Dan

Well, I haven't used PSP in for some time, so I'm not exactly sure what tool you're describing.

You may be looking for something similar to the "Magic Wand" tool (3rd tool from the top on the left side of the toolbar), which selects contiguous regions of a color. How similar those colors have to be before the tool recognizes a boundary is determined by the "Tolerance" slider. This allows you to customize the tool to your wishes. A low tolerance will select only the color you click on, and a high tolerance will select that color and any surrounding colors similar to the color you selected.

This is probably the closest tool I can think of to what you're looking for.

I hope that helps. If you have any more questions, just ask 'em,

Dan

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Well, I hope Rick doesn't hate me for this... But... (cringes) I believe The GIMP has the tool you're looking for.

You're speaking of a tool that creates a selection by following an edge determined by color differentiation, correct? The GIMP has a tool that does just that. Click once for the origin, then click, drag, and watch the boundary follow the contours of your desired portion of the image. Once you've joined the last point with the origin, click inside the boundary lines, and it is converted to a selection.

So, it's up to you. If you need this tool, and you don't have PSP to do it, then I'd suggest trying it with The GIMP.

Sorry Rick..

Dan

~ Becoming the Archetype

Paint.NET is hardly the be-all, end-all of image editors, and I'd be foolish to think that or take offense to a recommendation to use another app. If another app has the tools you require then by all means make use of it and recommend it :)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I don't think there is a "be-all end-all" graphics app. Each different one does something differently, making each unique and interesting.

I presently have Paint.NET, The GIMP, ArtWeaver, Project Dogwaffle, Microsoft's Code-Named: Acrylic 2005 CTP, Ultimate Paint, and InkScape installed on my computer.

Variety is the spice of life! :D

~ Becoming the Archetype

• 6 months later...
Sounds like you want a "magnetic" lasso.

I've filed a v3.0 bug on this. It won't be in v2.2.

Any news about this great feature Rick ?

Thanks