3D-Engraved Text

yellowman

This is my second try with Paint.Net. Being a newbie I am trying some tuts to find my way around and to discover how plungins and the like work. Some of the tuts are rather hard to follow but thank you for the easy to follow steps in this one.

Although the Alpha Mask plugin was used my edges are still rough, I tried Effects>Blurs>Gaussian Blur=1 and 2 but my 3D Engraved Text got darker, I also tried Effects>Selection>Feather Selection with different radii, but to be honest I saw no improvement. Any suggestions?

I think the best font for this tut is the "Stencil Font" which is the one I used. I used the first letter for my avatar. Can you tell me, in newbie’s language, how to use my “try” for my signature?

26942_757be670788098a582ee30644d9eff73

Nakis400x120.pngShutter-10.gif

This is my second try with Paint.Net. Being a newbie I am trying some tuts to find my way around and to discover how plungins and the like work. Some of the tuts are rather hard to follow but thank you for the easy to follow steps in this one.

Although the Alpha Mask plugin was used my edges are still rough, I tried Effects>Blurs>Gaussian Blur=1 and 2 but my 3D Engraved Text got darker, I also tried Effects>Selection>Feather Selection with different radii, but to be honest I saw no improvement. Any suggestions?

I think the best font for this tut is the "Stencil Font" which is the one I used. I used the first letter for my avatar. Can you tell me, in newbie’s language, how to use my “try” for my signature?

This is from the forum rules at this link. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3446

15) Signature size requirements: The combined size of all images in your signature must not be wider than 500px, nor taller than 150px. There is no specific limit as to the number of lines of text permitted in signatures, as we understand that text can render differently in different browsers, but if you have text in addition to an image of the maximum 150px height, please keep it down to two lines. Ideally, text and images in your signature should be around a 200px combined maximum height.

Is this the info you are looking for? I use photobucket to store my images and link them from there. I keep my sigs and avatars in different folders so I don't get them confused with something else I've done. I think you can link them from other websites, photobucket is just what I'm used to using. Hope that helps !

Good job on the image ! I wouldn't have known it was your second try. :D

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

@Possum Roadkill - thank you for your prompt reply.

Two things one - any tips for my rugged edges in my images?

Two - can you lead me as how to "link them from there?" I joined photobucket and uploaded my two images, I was asked to enter a title and a description, can you give me an example as what to write down and do next. Can you tell me how to find one of yours so maybe I can copy how things are done? You can email me.

By the way your images are really good; wish mine will be at least half as good. Thanks again.

What did you do to add the effects to make it look like metal? Like the silver rectangle one with the lava background. I want to make mine look like actual metal like that.

Use the white and light gray colors to make the silver effect, I explained the method in the previous page just scroll all the way down and see the attached images(change the red color to gray)

I think the best font for this tut is the "Stencil Font" which is the one I used. I used the first letter for my avatar. Can you tell me, in newbie’s language, how to use my “try” for my signature? file.php?id=4109&mode=view

To get smooth edges

-try to start with a large canvas size (width not less that 1200 pix ) and large font size to fill almost the image then resize the image when saving it.

-In step 5 make the blur radius higher(more than 5) when using the Drop Shadow plugin, and repeat it once again or more if it needs.

@Possum Roadkill - thank you for your prompt reply.

Two things one - any tips for my rugged edges in my images?

Two - can you lead me as how to "link them from there?" I joined photobucket and uploaded my two images, I was asked to enter a title and a description, can you give me an example as what to write down and do next. Can you tell me how to find one of yours so maybe I can copy how things are done? You can email me.

By the way your images are really good; wish mine will be at least half as good. Thanks again.

For your first question, I think Yellowman's answer is the best advice. Until I read his comments in one of his tut's about using a large canvas I had the same problem. In this case bigger is better. Almost everything I do now in Paint.net I start with a larger canvas than I want the final image and downsize it to the desired size when done. You just can't argue with the quality of his work and the results that he gets from this method.

For your second question, and sorry I have been off the board for a few days, thus the delayed response, use the IMG link (the bottom link below the image) and paste it into your post. I hope this image will show you what I mean. I just click on the link, copy it and paste it into my post. Pretty simple and no additional code is needed. I'm sure that others can add to that to show how to add the image as a thumbnail or as an external link.

HowToPhotobucket.jpg

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

• 4 weeks later...

Well I really like what you guys have been doing so I thought I would give it a shot and this is what I came up with hope you like it...ohhhhhhh and Paint.net Rocks...hehe me..moe...

slatemoe.jpg

desertcrashsig.gif

Captain need more power. Are more PDN hehe

• 2 weeks later...

At last I came back to this subject.

After trying to save my image in .gif and .jpeg etc., I saved in .png and the result is much, much better though I had to sacrifice some space.

Thank you for your help everybody.

I have another question though.

With the silver metal I was OK, but can you give me the RGB or Hex of the gold metal, please?

NakisSignature.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great Tut!! Is there anyway you can expand on how you did the round examples? I'm having a tough time doing the background stripes (which are awesome) and creating the round edge.

thanks!

megadith

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, cool tut, I,m a newbie and of course having some troubles, first finding the font that was used by the op and how do you use the gradient tool twice, it only work once and when i go to do the second one the first disappears. this tut is exactly the thing I need for a sign I'm doing thanks bud for this tutorial. Graham

Sorry for being late to post:

@McyD, that is so beautiful, I am glad you used it in different way.

@megadith, that have done with circle shape instead of rectangle, and the background is a direct use of LightRays plugin.

@grahamshere,

-The font is Steelfish Outline find it in http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/larabie/steelfish/outline/

- scroll all the way down in first page of this tut and you will find a mini tut explaining how to do the double gradient, or just click on this link it will take there :

http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?p=251913#p251913

Thanks Yellowman for the super fast reply, I'm having a problem with the text. I installed steelfish,thanks by the way, cool site. seems the font does not show up in paint.net. it shows in all my other programs but not here. if you have any ideas why it does not show id love to know. Thanks. Graham

3dtext2.png

3dtext.png

Awesome tut. I like the look if you layer the original metal texture underneath.... very sleek and high tech.

Untitled1.png

Previously dgirl555, but now you can call me epic

Oh, and I really like airbrushing photos

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is my first try EVER and this is the first post that I saw. I tried to make it. 

wowjhkl-Copie.png

I would LOVE to make that "yellowman" but I don't know how... 

SORRY for those lines but I want to use it for something so I don't want someone to steal it. 

Thanks for those tips!!!

@ aristo, thanks.

to create the ellipse shape do this:

• Run Multi Color Gradient plugin ( use white and gray, and check Alternating Color box with Count of 15)
  • Run Polar transformation plugin (select Transform Rectangular to Polar)
  • Run Insideout plugin
  • Some Radial blure
  • Then layer Rotate/Zoom as desired

The font is Bullpen-3D

And other effects are almost the same in the tutorial.

If you need anything else I gladly help.

Thank you! I understand but since this is my first try I still have some problems... I don't know what effects do you use to make your item look so good (step 7). Do you think you can help me again?

Again, thank you for being so patient.

Of course.

• To add noise, select the letters with Magic Wand and add Noise as desired
  • To add a thickness to the board, after step-6 add anew layer, make a rectangle selection below the lower edge with same length then fill it with any color or gradient then add Noise.
  • The background: add a new layer underneath all layers, run Cloud with black and white then Use Fire plugin as desired.
  • And if you want to do the embossed border, then you have to start it before the step-2, on a new layer on top of all, draw a rectangle shape inside your canvas using Draw Shape Outline tool or BoltBait'sOutline Selection plugin, tilt it with Layer Rotate/Zoom with same settings in step-2 but Zoom it out a little bit, then add Noise and DropShadowto it.