Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
evanolds

Evan's Effects (open source as of October 16, 2012)

97 posts in this topic

Evan thanks for this new version. I often use oct shape. I've also just tried the 3d beta one and find the speed is vastly improved, now I'll be inclined to work with it much more often. Everything seems to be working fine with all your plugins so far ..

One major question: Is there ever a chance you will put separate dll's within a pk similar to how pyrochild, madjik and a few others do. That way I can just populate my effects menu with those I use often?

also any chance of moving the oct shape plugins to a sub menu. perhaps distorts?

once again thanks ever so much for the upgrade.

ciao OMA

I got to agree with Oma's suggestion about the move under Distort, even though I got a long list of distort.

Evan, I must congratulate you for making 3D object much faster. In fact, with only a measly 512 MB of RAM I have on my machine, running that plugin is a snap. No long wait for the image to finish rendering. I can manipulate the position of the object, zoom, and change setting from Box, Torus, or Graph and the simulation is much fast than the previous version.

The reshape plugins are excellent! No problem to report. First thing I did when I open PDN was to check with Plugin Load Error under Utilities, and your plugin is not blocked at all.

Thank you for your update! :mtdew:

Posted version 1.6

What was the Octagonal/Quadrilateral reshape/matte is now broken up into two effects:

("Distort" submenu)

Quadrilateral Reshape

and

("Transparency" submenu)

Polygonal Transparency

The Polygonal Transparency effect has a configurable number of control points in the range [3, 20].

The Conditional Hue/Saturation adjustment, 3D Object, and mirror effects are still present as well.

In addition to these alterations, a small bug was found and fixed that may or may not have been the cause of the plugin being blocked in the first place.

It's weird how new plugins/features always spark ideas for even better functionality... ;-)

The transparency plugin seems to be morphing (even more) into a masking utility. That said, the ability to maximize the effect window would be extremely helpful when trying to fine-tune the placement of vertex handles.

Also, if an additional handle is needed in a specific spot, being able to right-click to add it in-place would be...muy apreciado.

Last one...

When creating masks, it would be awesome to be able to switch between linear and bezier vertices, on a vertex by vertex basis (additional right-click functionality??).

Your plugins are great as is, so look at these requests as far-fetched and wishful thinking... :D Thanks!

Edit:

Last one...

I lied. :(

And finally, an option to assign separate feather values to each vertex? This would make it easier to make very complex, blended masks; and, (IMO) it would make this effect quite unique in the graphic design world!

("Transparency" submenu)

Polygonal Transparency

The Polygonal Transparency effect has a configurable number of control points in the range [3, 20].

thanks thanks thanks from day one when you released the first version of your plugins of octogonal reshape I've been hoping you would get to the version with all these adjustments points. bravo.

one thing that may improve it is if when you use it on one layer then reopen it reverted to the original all around the edge dots. or had a reset button. currently if you use it on one layer then switch layers and use again it starts from the last position it was used.

edit I see just change the number of points and it reverts

ciao

I find a bug in “Quadrilateral reshape” and “Poligonal Transparency” plugins (on Windows XP + SP3).

When the size of edited picture is smaller than the size of picture from plugin window, starting this plugins crashes Paint.Net (always).

I find a bug in “Quadrilateral reshape” and “Poligonal Transparency” plugins (on Windows XP + SP3).

When the size of edited picture is smaller than the size of picture from plugin window, starting this plugins crashes Paint.Net (always).

Thanks for posting this. I've found the source of the problem in a call to a PDN function. I'll ask Rick about it in the developer's forum.

Ok, version 1.7 with a fix for this has been posted. Good find, thanks.

I found a strange behavior of “Quadrilateral reshape”.

This is original picture

VanGogh-autoportret-oryg.png

The first step.

reshape-problem-1.jpg

Click Ok

And starting “Quadrilateral reshape” again.

reshape-problem-2.jpg

Is this correct ?

May I suggest moving Polygonal Transparency to the "Object" submenu?

i6zed2.png

I honestly see no use for a new submenu if it includes only one entry. The meaning of submenus should be to produce a clean user interface and to avoid an overcrowded one. We do not know if this submenu is "accepted" like Object, Tools and Color. Considering that general transparency effects rather go in "Adjustments" I see the possibility that half a year in the future this submenu will still feature only one single entry. Now that I mentioned this, I also think a "Transpareny" submenu may confuse the users.

By compiling all effects into a single DLL you sadly force me at the moment to either take all of your effects or none, if I don't want the Transparency submenu - both bitter options. Major plugin contributors like Pyrochild, BoltBait, Madjik... therefore provide single DLLs for each effect. In my opinion, you should consider this choice as the best of both worlds.

May I suggest moving Polygonal Transparency to the "Object" submenu?

i6zed2.png

I honestly see no use for a new submenu if it includes only one entry. The meaning of submenus should be to produce a clean user interface and to avoid an overcrowded one. We do not know if this submenu is "accepted" like Object, Tools and Color. Considering that general transparency effects rather go in "Adjustments" I see the possibility that half a year in the future this submenu will still feature only one single entry. Now that I mentioned this, I also think a "Transpareny" submenu may confuse the users.

This not bad really. I would like to see all the plugins named something_Alpha_something together there.

Love all the plugins ! I have been using the 3D quite a bit lately and have found some fun and useful things to do with it. Thanks !

I LOVE the Polygonal Transparency plugin!

With it had more Control Points though.

just downloaded and used the quad reshape . Vey nice. It will make my life so much easier.

One wish list item: coordinate values. I will be converting about 25 32X32 images (turning counter clockwise 45o , then squashing it in half) Since these images will be tiles in another app, they need to fit together. Having a level of precision will be a majore time saver.

Thanks again.

Hi Evan -

I have latest Firefox browser on Windows XP/SP 3.

After i assigned paint.net to open your FX plugin pack, i downloaded your FX pack (mainly for the Quadrilateral Reshape tool), but when the Paint.net workspace opens, this message appears- "The image type is not recognized, and cannot be opened" !!!

How do i open this download ?

Heres the download info in your post :

Download: http://www.evanolds....l/EOEffects.dll

(download link is case sensitive)

Another thank you for the quadrilateral reshape! Just what I needed, and it works very well!

I was going to get this but it says ,This file type can harm my computer,a different warning than usual. Is it ok?

I was going to get this but it says ,This file type can harm my computer,a different warning than usual. Is it ok?

File is clean. False warning ...

If you are using Internet Explorer, this is the message you'll get for any .dll and a number of other file types to prevent people from doing things they shouldn't, prevent hackers from doing various things, etc.

In this case, it's not actually evaluating the file in any way, just looking at the .dll extension and throwing out this "warning." ... Just ignore (on some levels) when its from a trusted source. As always though, practice due diligence on any file you grab with basic virus scan checks and site reporting, etc.

Evan's effects code is clean, etc for a short version, just select Run Anyway to make the crazy warning go away or View Downloads so you can move it if you didn't download it directly to your effects folder for ease of use.

Edited by delpart

Thank you,just wanted to make sure. Got them ok.

Most generous! I'm off to grab a copy. Thanks Evan!

Edit: WOW!

You don't need to download the source files unless you wish to study how Evan writes plugins. It's terribly complicated - so unless you have quite an understanding of C# I suggest you give the source files a miss.

If you just wish to use his plugins, download them (the *.dll file) from the first post in this thread and install them as you would any other plugin. You don't need to open the *.dll file.