Glossy Avatar/Button

jake2k

Cool effects, this is the first tut i read and tried out wen i found this forum but it was b4 i registered xP, i used ur tut a bit for my avatar i had to squish it to make it fit the max size...which i think the forum shud do automaticly with sum sort of resize xO but its looks pretty good xO id show u the 1 i made when i just did the tut but idk where i put it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm such a noob :oops: You lost me at step 2 :( I'm used to using adobe photoshop, so I'm getting used to this. how do I cut the new layer in half without cutting the whole image?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I need some help with this tut. I can't fix this:

"...3- Make an inner outline of the first shape on a new layer..."

Maybe somebody can help?

Just use the rounded rectangle tool( :RoundedRectangleTool: ) in outline mode( :ShapeOutline: ) and make it a tiny bit smaller then the first rectangle.

Puteulanus___Jake2k_by_Club_PaintDotNET.png

^Click to visit my Flickr Gallery^

• 2 weeks later...

Good tutorial. Around step 4 you lost me...As well, how do you make a rounded rectangled shape to begin with? I can only make square.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
how can you make that first line with the lasso effect straight?

If you let go before the two ends of the lasso are together, they will join themselves with a straight line. If that's too confusing, just use a normal square selection and rotate it, first hitting SHIFT+M.

• 4 weeks later...
I cant even get past step 2. Using right click is no different from using left click in transparency mode. The gradient doesnt change the the square's color in anyway. and if i try it in color mode the whole canvas turns white.

Edit: I just found a lot of other stuff that you left out. any guy whos been using pdn for a while like me would have realized that your supposed to do the things that you left out, but what about the newbies who don't know. It's a really great avatar but not so great tut. :wink:

Absolutely agreed! Seems to missing so many things,from a newbs point!Followed 110% 3 times and have not even gotten close to those results.

I cant even get past step 2. Using right click is no different from using left click in transparency mode. The gradient doesnt change the the square's color in anyway. and if i try it in color mode the whole canvas turns white.

Edit: I just found a lot of other stuff that you left out. any guy whos been using pdn for a while like me would have realized that your supposed to do the things that you left out, but what about the newbies who don't know. It's a really great avatar but not so great tut. :wink:

Absolutely agreed! Seems to missing so many things,from a newbs point!Followed 110% 3 times and have not even gotten close to those results.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I went through all of the plugins I felt were worth downloading. I made an index of every effect in them. Now when I do a tutorial, I can search for the required effect and find out what plug in I need, and hopefully, where to find in the PDN UI.

So it looks like I have 3 options for outline. Two from effect -> object, and one in effect -> stylize. None of them have an option to do an interior outline as called for in the tutorial.

I believe what I have to do is sligtly srink a copy of the original, larger object, and outline that. Afterwards, i need to clear out the center turning it into alpha transparency.

But the tutorial makes me believe there is a more efficient way to do this. I just can't find it.

I went through all of the plugins I felt were worth downloading. I made an index of every effect in them. Now when I do a tutorial, I can search for the required effect and find out what plug in I need, and hopefully, where to find in the PDN UI.

There is already an index for plugins: Plugin Index. It might have saved you significant effort boltbait.wink.png .

We now recommend that writers of tutorials link directly to the plugins used in the tutorial. This is to eliminate any confusion over which effect is being used.

Older tuts (like this one) may not have links to the plugins, or have links to the old forum. I have added the correct links to the original post.

• 1 year later...

trying to follow the tut, but I don't see how to keep the gradient from filling up the whole second layer. I see the text specifies making another rounded rectangle, yet the pic isn't showing for me to "understand". Sorry for my noobishness...

Thanks!