Realistic Chrome Text

barkbark00

Will someone please help me?How do I make it so the text just doesn't become a messy blob?
messy blob? I'll help you out, but what do you mean by messy blob? Maybe it's the text you're using?

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

Will someone please help me?How do I make it so the text just doesn't become a messy blob?
messy blob? I'll help you out, but what do you mean by messy blob? Maybe it's the text you're using?

I used Arial Black and font size 108, I also tried regular Arial but they both became blobs, the Arial Black after two and the Arial after a three.

dgcam5.th.png

I used Arial Black and font size 108, I also tried regular Arial but they both became blobs, the Arial Black after two and the Arial after a three.

dgcam5.th.png

What step is leading to your text being too round?

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

Are you using the letters: D,O, and C because I can do it for you if you are having a hard time.

Er, it was DGC not DOC.Not sure what DOC would stand for...unless i was a doctor.It's the blurring that makes it round.

I was guessing cause I didn't know what the letters were. :P

I can't get it to work :(

If i put the curves in 255,1 It goes full black, so i set it in a close thing, where it goes black text and white bg, but after that I just can't get anything else.

All of the graphics in my sig added up to larger than the 150px height limit so BoltBait deleted them.

One thing I have used this tutorial for is "gloss maps"

It works very well to put a sheen onto things that should have them. I've used it on armor, shields, cloth, anything that needs some gloss or shine added.

Could you give an example?

I start with the base image

baseimagejc1.png

I make a mask per the tutorial

bodymaskae7.png

I perform the tutorial steps, sometimes having to fiddle with the size of the median and gaussian blurs and end up with a gloss map

bodyglossvk1.png

I put the gloss map layer above the base image layer, set the gloss map to OVERLAY and adjust the opacity to my liking, to get something like

glossandbasevp6.png

This works well for metal, plastic, cloth, anything that might have some shine, reflections or sheen to it.

You can edit the gloss map if it puts highlights that are inconsistent with lighting, etc.

impactow4.png

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is the best effect for PDN that i have seen - honest!

Heres my attempt - all I did extra was make a new back layer, gradient ( :LinearGradient: ) added noise ( :AddNoise: ) at 75, 0. Then motion blured ( :MotionBlur: ) at 0, 200. Then i used the same chrome effect curves as BarkBark00, and added a water reflection.

14039_d72f00c3ffeb21990e033ea1f891d3da

Thanks! This is a great effect - I imagine that you could do this on other objects - like, I don't know, a background?

I'll try that I think :wink:

edit - using the same effect (but with a square filled completely grey) If you follow the same steps untill the end, you will get a grey box in hte middle with crome border, magic wand ( :MagicWandTool: ) the grey inside, and it leaves you with a chrome effect border - which could be used to put arround a edited photo to look like a photoframe.

• 6 months later...