How to make a Picture Filmstrip

cjmcguinness

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Use the Rectangle Select tool and, holt the SHIFT key to draw a square about 100 x 100 pixels. Choose the Move Selection tool and, right-click to rotate the square to 45 degrees. Move the selected square to the bottom right of your canvas so that it is only covering a small potion in the corner measuring 20 x 20.

I'm a new person to paint.net. I have had it only about 2 months and have learned a lot with all the tutorials; HOWEVER, I am at a loss with the above step.

I can't get this part to work. It moves the entire film strip, not just the box I created when I try to rotate the box. Should I create another layer while doing this?

thanks,

Use the Rectangle Select tool and, holt the SHIFT key to draw a square about 100 x 100 pixels. Choose the Move Selection tool and, right-click to rotate the square to 45 degrees. Move the selected square to the bottom right of your canvas so that it is only covering a small potion in the corner measuring 20 x 20.

I'm a new person to paint.net. I have had it only about 2 months and have learned a lot with all the tutorials; HOWEVER, I am at a loss with the above step.

I can't get this part to work. It moves the entire film strip, not just the box I created when I try to rotate the box. Should I create another layer while doing this?

thanks,

The trick is with the Move Selection :MoveSelectionTool: tool.

There are two tools for moving thing around, the Move Selected Pixels :MoveTool: tool will move what you have selected; it sounds like you are using this. Whereas, the Move Selection Tool :MoveSelectionTool: just changes the position of the selected area; this is what you should be using. Make sure you are using the Move Selection Tool :MoveSelectionTool: and not the Move Selected Pixels :MoveTool: and you should be OK.

-CJ

PKRM.png

PKRG.pngPKRT.pngPKRD.pngPKRP.png

• 2 months later...
Now, press CTRL+SHIFT+R to access the Canvas Size and, this time changing the Anchor to Bottom, change the canvas size to 2400 x 1200

How did you come up with canvas size of 2400 x 1200?

Thank you.

There is a check box in the Canvas Size dialog that says 'maintain aspect ratio' - the initial canvas is in a 4:3 aspect, 800 x 600 (for every 4 pixels across, there is 3 pixels down). If you change the width figure, without unticking the aspect ratio button, the height box will automatically change to keep the new canvas to the same ratio.

Untick the 'aspect ratio' box and change the figures in the width and height boxes independently, to 2400 & 1200 respectively.

Regards

-CJ

PKRM.png

• 2 weeks later...

sweet! Awesome tut. What you might want to say for PDN 3.30 Beta, is Median is now under the Noise Effects, and the dotted line feature has been removed, but I got the same effect just doing a straight brush stroke down.

Here's mine, I used my fractals.

n594890627_746598_4091.jpg

relientkforumbar.png

What you might want to say for PDN 3.30 Beta, is Median is now under the Noise Effects, and the dotted line feature has been removed.

Glad you liked it, thanks. I've updated the original post with revised instructions for accessing Median; but rest assured, the dotted line feature is still very much alive and well in 3.30 Beta 2.

4488_00dd1f047986fc855c4e04d94c4feb38

PKRM.png

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Tried to get the tube oblique dll and the link goes to the wrong place. Can anyone tell me where to get this dll?

It's now incorporated into Madjik's plugin pack, renamed to simply 'Oblique'.

I would advise you download and install the entire pack; some amazing plugins to play with.

-CJ

Thanks very much, and, you're right, lot's of effects to play with. Cool stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
hi, i hv probs with d magic wand. it turned out like this pix below..?

probucm.th.jpg

((First off, great tutorial, I'm doing it right now for a layout and it's turning out beautiful!))

Okay, I think your problem is the tolerance. Up above, below the main menu, is a "tolerance" bar when you've selected the Magic Wand. Drag it all the way down to zero. :D

2w2hr28.png

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...