Using New Fonts For Paint.NET

HITMAN-X-

I've added several new fonts to my PDN sence I've had it (well, actually to the fonts.folder in my OS) but I have a question that has something to do with this thread.

Is there a max recomended amount of fonts that can be added to the Control_Panels Fonts folder? I'm asking this because I've been having problems when I call up the fonts in my PDN fonts window. The problem has to do with scrolling down while searching for the right font, my PDN gets jumpy about halfway down the list, and then freezes up for somewhere between 30 and 60 secs when I almost get to the bottom of the list. At times it even closes the fonts window after it "unfreezes" again.

Anyone have an idea what causes this, or if the problem is just that I have to many fonts in the folder?

Juds_Fire_sig.png

100% PDN

I use these. All you have to do is click on a font you like, then click, 'Open', 'Run', 'run' (again) So, just installing it.....

http://www.fontface.com

Click on 'Font Archive' at the left!

It automatically adds it to PDN.

:]

I've added several new fonts to my PDN sence I've had it (well, actually to the fonts.folder in my OS) but I have a question that has something to do with this thread.

Is there a max recomended amount of fonts that can be added to the Control_Panels Fonts folder? I'm asking this because I've been having problems when I call up the fonts in my PDN fonts window. The problem has to do with scrolling down while searching for the right font, my PDN gets jumpy about halfway down the list, and then freezes up for somewhere between 30 and 60 secs when I almost get to the bottom of the list. At times it even closes the fonts window after it "unfreezes" again.

Anyone have an idea what causes this, or if the problem is just that I have to many fonts in the folder?

This is more of a question for Bugs & Troubleshooting. I belive there is a few topics in Bugs & Troubleshooting that talk about this problem.

Example:

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewt ... =6304#6304

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewt ... 1069#11069

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewt ... 1605#41605

From my understanding (does not mean it is the problem) if you have to many fonts in your font folder you could make the drop down box slow down as it needs to generate all the fonts to use. Another problem is fonts that conflict with one another. And the last thing I can think of is a corrupted font file that windows trys to read.

If your going to be installing lots of fonts, I would make a list and add one font at a time, then test it and then put it on the list as ok. That way if you do get a problem with fonts you can pin point it.

I hope that help you. If not then you should go and post your problem in the Bugs & Troubleshooting Forum for the Paint.NET staff like Rick or Bolt to review. Good luck :wink:

Hey thanx for the links and the info... gonna do as suggested. :D

Maybe you could include this in your tut as well then. Might save a lot of begginers like myself some trouble in the future if they know that its better to install them one at a time with a tryout. I didnt know that a .ttf file could cause that kind of prolems.

Thanx again HITMAN-X-, very imformative :D

Jude, who likes being well informed

Juds_Fire_sig.png

100% PDN

Hey thanx for the links and the info... gonna do as suggested. :D

Maybe you could include this in your tut as well then. Might save a lot of begginers like myself some trouble in the future if they know that its better to install them one at a time with a tryout. I didnt know that a .ttf file could cause that kind of prolems.

Thanx again HITMAN-X-, very imformative :D

Jude, who likes being well informed

Happy to help. I also added that tip at the bottom of the tutorial.

I found a good program to organize fonts. It's free, and it works well. It's called Linotype Fontexplorer.

It's here:

http://www.linotype.com/2493/fontexplorerx.html

You can organize different font packs to different sets, and disable or enable them with a click of the mouse. This is very handy, because if you have like a thousand fonts, your computer may start loading up more slowly. With this program you can make your computer use the fonts only when you're working with them.

I hope you'll like it as much as I do!

I found a good program to organize fonts. It's free, and it works well. It's called Linotype Fontexplorer.

It's here:

http://www.linotype.com/2493/fontexplorerx.html

You can organize different font packs to different sets, and disable or enable them with a click of the mouse. This is very handy, because if you have like a thousand fonts, your computer may start loading up more slowly. With this program you can make your computer use the fonts only when you're working with them.

I hope you'll like it as much as I do!

when i went to the link in your tut which was 1001freefonts.com i typed in a font, fire, and i clicked a font and it showed like prices $$. Please help

idontknowub0.png

when i went to the link in your tut which was 1001freefonts.com i typed in a font, fire, and i clicked a font and it showed like prices $$. Please help

I think there search goes to another website they host for buying fonts. You should just stay on there 1001freefont.com page. You can also look up other free fonts at other websites. People here have posted a few website back on page 1 and 2.

I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly, the $14.95 that they had under each font was for a 10,000 (?) font package that you could get all at one time. But then again, I'm getting a bit old and sinile, so I might of just imagined that.

Juds_Fire_sig.png

100% PDN

Nice tutorial.

Just remember, as Rick stated in another post, Paint.NET supports TrueType fonts, not OpenFont fonts.

So, if you know of a good source of FREE True Type fonts, post links here...

I hope this wasnt' posted yet...

http://www.fontasy.de

I love this site. There is a link on the left for translating into English.

You know the $14.95 thingy under each font right?

Well i was just wondering if it will show on the bill everytime you download a font from the 1001truefonts or is it just another link to another font thingy but you need to pay for?

idontknowub0.png

In all my life of using the internet I have never seen anything get added to my internet bill that I never payed for. The only way I see anything getting added to the bill is if you click a pay button and give them your bank number, paypal, or credit card number. If people just clicked on things with out giving the information needed to pay for something, don't you think a lot of people would be getting internet bills saying you need to pay like $1000 for clicking a link in your junk mail. What about people who don't pay for internet and just access other peoples by wireless.

In short there to many factors to the internet to bill you just for clicking a link. You would have to have given them billing information.

Also as I have siad before you don't need to use 1001truefonts to get your fonts. I only used them because they came up in a google search when I typed free fonts and they have free fonts so I didn't have to look for another site.

• 2 weeks later...

If you just drag it to the fonts folder but it doesn't work, open up the fonts folder and close it and then that should get it to work.

"The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak." — GLaDOS

If you just drag it to the fonts folder but it doesn't work, open up the fonts folder and close it and then that should get it to work.

Yes I am sure that may work but it is not why I tell people to use the Add Fonts wizard that comes with windows.

Opening the fonts folder and then closing it only refreshs the font list. Which can be done just by clicking inside the fonts folder View > Refresh.

However there has been problems with drag and droping font files into the font folder. Problems that can't be fixed by a refresh. At least using the Add Fonts wizard you can try and minimize some of the errors. Add Fonts wizard also tells you information on the font your installing as well such as it type and real name. This information comes useful for people who download a lot of fonts and want to keep a list of working fonts. For example if you download a font called nice and it gives you problems what do you do ? you remove it. However when you go into the fonts folder you can't find nice only a font called nf.ttf. Well you guessed it the nf.ttf is the nice font but it file name is not the same as what it is in a program.

I not here to tell you that you have to use the Add Fonts wizard. You can add fonts anyway you like. I just recommand that you use it as I used to drag and drop as well. There is a reason why the Add Fonts wizard is still around.

• 4 weeks later...
I just can´t get the font from the box to the desktop!!!!!I´m So frustrated!

I guessing you are trying to find the font to install Step 3 ?

It best to save it in a folder close to your root folder (C: Drive) if you are unsure were your desktop folder is.

So if you like you could just move it to the C: drive and grap it from there or you can go to your users folder and find your desktop.

To find your desktop go to your root folder (defualt is C: ) then to documents and settings and then to the folder with your user name. You should now see a folder called Desktop in there. Full Path for my font was C:/DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS/HITMAN-X-/DESKTOP which you can see in Step 3 the 3rd image of the tutorial.

If that not the problem your having then my next guess is you download the font and it is A) not showing on the Desktop or B) you can't open the zip file.

A) Did you pick save to save it to the desktop or did it just download with out asking if you want to save ? If it never asked you then the file is download in a temp folder somewere on your computer.

B) If you can't open the zip file then you should try another zip program like WinZip. If that don't work then the zip file could be bad.

How about installing them on Vista? I wanna install an AC/DC font but I can't find the Fonts thing in Control Panel.

The fonts folder is there if you right click on the desktop and got to personalize if i remember right it is in the list i do not belive that it is in control panel you have to do it via the desktop

TKSD.jpg

The fonts folder is there if you right click on the desktop and got to personalize if i remember right it is in the list i do not belive that it is in control panel you have to do it via the desktop

I do appoligize it is in the control panel go Control panel>Aperance and Personalize>Fonts and then it uses the same process as Xp

TKSD.jpg