Making Backgrounds of Images Transparent

307 replies to this topic

#181 nibagreen

nibagreen
  • Newbies
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:02 PM

OK, and now for the ultimate embarrassment: ISSUE RESOLVED

First, let me thank all of you who looked into this for me. Thank you for your time.

Secondly, I am the logo creator and I had the web developer test it by uploading it to the website...

as I found out late last night, he tested it on a machine that still had IE 6 installed. On IE6, the background stays greyish. IE 7 renders it properly with transparent background.
The Firefox issue, as I also found out, was merely that it didn't display the logo as clearly after resize, so there wasn't a background issue at all. Arrrrgh! I don't know how many hours I spent trying to "get rid of the background!" Double Arrrgh!

I apologize for having wasted your time. I should have set up the testing environment on my machine and verified it for myself.

I will make a donation to Paint.NET to recognize it as the good product it is and to recognize you, the users/developers for helping us who know nothing...:-)
Thanks.

#182 Chris_Rulez

Chris_Rulez
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:43 PM

I understand how to do transparent backgrounds with the images, But only if the image has a whole color background, I wanna know, Is there a way to make the background transparent if the background has different colors? I want an EASY way, Not the Line / Curve way or the Magic Wand way, Here are some examples of what the pictures look like that I wanna make transparent..

Example 1: Posted Image

Example 2: Posted Image

Example 3: Posted Image

If you could please post a tut, Make a video, Or teach me how, It'd be greatly appreciated!

The post above probably has crappy art.. Just look past that :D

Posted Image

#183 evilbunny

evilbunny
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

Wow ty! I always saved this as PNG but it didn' t work. So now i saved it as a gif and it worked!

#184 PyroTechniques

PyroTechniques
  • Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:07 PM

It should work with PNGs as well, the PNG file format supports transparency as well.
Posted Image

#185 Kelly_Girl33

Kelly_Girl33
  • Newbies
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:43 AM

Thanks! However, what about images that you want transparent...But are different colors? Would you simply keep repeating the process on the different ones' you've done already, or would you do something different?

#186 skmc

skmc
  • Newbies
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:20 AM

Yes, I'm a clueless newbie - apologizing in advance. I have searched and read every post on this thread. I have successfully made my background transparent and saved my file as a .png. However, I am still getting a box that shows up around the whole image. How can I get rid of it? Thanks in advance!

#187 startreksuite

startreksuite
  • Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA , USA

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:51 PM

post your original and final image on this thread, and members can help you out. Sometimes it is as simple as a glitch in your browser version or the image viewer software you are using!

#188 Lanie

Lanie
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:00 AM

Yes, I'm a clueless newbie - apologizing in advance. I have searched and read every post on this thread. I have successfully made my background transparent and saved my file as a .png. However, I am still getting a box that shows up around the whole image. How can I get rid of it? Thanks in advance!

I am having the same issue...Its driving me crazy...Can you help me please??????

Posted Image

#189 startreksuite

startreksuite
  • Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:16 AM

carmen-electra-03.jpg carmen-electra-03.png
Here you can see the original with a white background, and the latter image, saved as a png, with the white background removed with the magic wand. If both images have a white background on the forum, you may need to update internet explorer, or switch to firefox. Try XN View, because it gave a gray background to the png file, which must be the transparent background it uses.
Good luck!

#190 xinni

xinni
  • Newbies
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:46 AM

I've followed the steps, but then the image is still not transparent. There's this "checkerboard" pattern at the place whereby it is supposed to turn out being transparent. :(

#191 startreksuite

startreksuite
  • Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:59 AM

I've followed the steps, but then the image is still not transparent. There's this "checkerboard" pattern at the place whereby it is supposed to turn out being transparent. :(

The checkerboard pattern is supposed to be there, anytime you remove a background, something needs to be present, ie the gray background in xnview, and checkerboard background in paint.net :D

#192 Dianna

Dianna
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:54 AM

Where do I set the tolerance (slider) level? I'm a brand new newbie to the program and need every thing explained to me :roll:

#193 Boude

Boude
  • Members
  • 592 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:22 AM

@Dianna: After you selected the magic wand tool, you will find a gradient covered by a blue rectangle in the bars above your image/canvas it says tolerance, so it's a bit hard to miss, but that's okay.
Posted Image
History repeats itself, because nobody was paying attention the first time.

#194 Dianna

Dianna
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Where do I set the tolerance (slider) level? I'm a brand new newbie to the program and need every thing explained to me :roll:

#195 Boude

Boude
  • Members
  • 592 posts

@Dianna: After you selected the magic wand tool, you will find a gradient covered by a blue rectangle in the bars above your image/canvas it says tolerance, so it's a bit hard to miss, but that's okay.
Posted Image

#196 Dianna

Dianna
  • Members
  • 18 posts

#197 Boude

Boude
  • Members
  • 592 posts

Posted Image

#198 Dianna

Dianna
  • Members
  • 18 posts

#199 Boude

Boude
  • Members
  • 592 posts

Posted Image

#200 Cole.xo

Cole.xo
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:26 PM

I understand the checkerboard is supposed to be there, But I'm trying to put the image over another but the checkerboard covers over the other picture.
Can some one please help I'm just new :oops: