Color and Black and White - The Pleasantville Effect

TheTh0mas

. Select all of the area of the image that you want to stay color

5. Copy that area and paste it into a new layer called color layer :AddNewLayer:

6. next Deselect the selection with ctrl+D :Deselect:

7. now choose the background layer :Layers:

8. Then Goto Adjustments and click black and white :BlackAndWhite:

9. You will now notice only the color layer has color(obvious)

10. Now merge the two layers. :MergeDown:

11. I usually use the curves tool and edit the luminosity after mergeing the images to make the image seem more realistic. I usually also add glow to add vibrance to the image. :Curves:

12. You should be done and should have a result like mine

these steps are a mystery...........

i go to add a layer and nothing shows up, HELP

I really like the one with the baby in the overalls and then the one above this post ^. Awesome stuff.

It's great how such a simple edit can make a picture look so cool.

. Select all of the area of the image that you want to stay color

5. Copy that area and paste it into a new layer called color layer :AddNewLayer:

6. next Deselect the selection with ctrl+D :Deselect:

7. now choose the background layer :Layers:

8. Then Goto Adjustments and click black and white :BlackAndWhite:

9. You will now notice only the color layer has color(obvious)

10. Now merge the two layers. :MergeDown:

11. I usually use the curves tool and edit the luminosity after mergeing the images to make the image seem more realistic. I usually also add glow to add vibrance to the image. :Curves:

12. You should be done and should have a result like mine

these steps are a mystery...........

i go to add a layer and nothing shows up, HELP

I personally don't use these steps--I use the magic wand to select the portion I want to stay colored, copy the selection (ctrl+c), then I de-select (ctrl+d), turn the whole image to black and white under the Adjustments menu, and paste (ctrl+v) the colored selection, and it always pastes exactly where it should. I hope that helps.

Here's a couple of mine (I took these pictures myself at my friend's wedding):

2391169342_450e71aee3.jpg

2390336525_356c4f0de0.jpg

Nice tutorial. Even though this is something pretty simple to do, a photo editing illiterate like myself would have taken a long time to figure out how to do it.

This is my attempt with a pic of my sister. I also added some gaussian blur+ with dark blending.

2295321652_4e7f7cf2b0_o.jpg

When it's time to merge the two layers, the background that is black and white and the color layer, do I select the color layer with Control A (the whole rectangle) or just the cutout part? No matter which one I do, I still can't merge the two layers together. I'm missing some key step and it's very frustrating as I've worked on this for quite a while. Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...
yeah all you need to do with this effect is use the wand tool to select the area you want then press ctrl+I and it will invert the area then use the black and white adjustment button. no need to copy and paste into new layer

It's only that easy if you have a simple area you want to modify. For more complex selections, this is the easiest way.

Besides, it allows the user to change the colored area after running the black and white effect.

So...yeah. Bad advice. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 3 weeks later...