Color and Black and White - The Pleasantville Effect

TheTh0mas

This is my first post here, and my first attempts at any kind of editing other than color enhancement. I actually like them. My only problem was that I couldn't find the background layer, so I had to select the area that was to stay colorized and then cut it, change the picture to black and white, and then paste the colored area back into the photo. It worked pretty well, though.

027-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I am trying what u said in your tutorial....but I can not figure out how to copy the selected area I used with the wand tool. so I can put it into a new layer. How do I do that?

also....its not copying the entire area that I want only part of it.

I am trying what u said in your tutorial....but I can not figure out how to copy the selected area I used with the wand tool. so I can put it into a new layer. How do I do that?

also....its not copying the entire area that I want only part of it.

To copy and paste into a new layer just go to the new layer and go into edit then paste. and to get the whole era you want u just have to keep changing the tolerance level on the magic wand or hold Ctrl and keep clicking on it 'till it gets everything u want selected

Edit: or you can use the lasso tool and trace what you want to keep colored. thats what I did with my eye of the tiger picture

2d6nosh.png

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a great tutorial. I'm new to PDN, but here is my attempt at the pleasantville effect. I can't figure out how to make the grass that is against my dogs stomach black and white. I tried changing the tolerance with the magic wand but was unsuccessful. Any suggestions?

32802_3c0f1beeacc8da84266514949edf673b

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

minesotaedit.jpg

that's my go at it :-). I ADORE this effect!!

My question is; how do you make the background blur a little to make the colored part pop out even more? I tried the gaussian blur another picture and obviously, the whole thing blurred and it looks a little odd with the colored part.

Any advice? And with this picture, notice some of the leaves weren't totally selected....is there an easier way to select ALL of the part you want colored? B/c WOW that's A LOT of copy and pasting to do...it took about an hour for this.

I am however, very pleased with the outcome.

Also, I tried using the conditional hue/saturation and I just don't understand the plug-in at all.

This plugin might give you a little help - it automates the Pleasantville effect: Extract Color

@Lollowilla - Personally I think the glow is unnecessary. It makes the guy look like a paste-in from another image.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have tips for selecting a lot of similar shades without getting the background too? I use ctrl + magic wand with low selection to get lots of little pieces that all add up together. This is the only way that seems to work well for me, but it takes forever and is a pain in the butt! How long is it taking for all of you to do these pictures?

Here is my attempt...don't remember where I found the picture. I also blurred and oil sketched the background. And I can't figure out how to make this any smaller for the forum.

guitaredit.jpg

It takes a while. Search "cutting out images" in the newbie playground for an easier way.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...