Fading / Blending: Gradient tool on a Camaro picture

Rick Brewster

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download the PDF

The goal of this tutorial is to recreate the Classic Camaro image that is on the front page of http://www.getpaint.net . The idea came about to have a classic Camaro and mix in some simple, modern imaging effects so that the image fades from a "classic" look on the left, to an exaggerated modern look on the right.

So we'll be taking this:

Camaro400x300.jpg

and turning it in to this:

Result400x300.jpg

Step 1. Download http://www.getpaint.net/images/Camaro800x600.jpg to get started. (No I will not provide the original 7 megapixel version of the image, however a 1920x1200 version of the edited image which is suitable for desktop wallpaper use is available here: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/43974184/ )

Step 2. Open it in Paint.NET v3.0

step1.jpg

Step 3. Duplicate the background layer (Layers -> Duplicate) and then apply the Sepia adjustment to this new layer (Adjustments -> Sepia)

2.jpg

Step 4. Apply a blur to this layer (Effects -> Blurs -> Gaussian Blur). I used a 2 pixel radius for this.

3.jpg

Step 5. Switch to the Gradient tool, and make sure it is set to: Linear gradient, Transparency Mode, and Normal Blending. These options are in the toolbar right below the buttons for quick actions like New, Open, Save, and Print.

Next, draw a gradient from the rear window of the car to somewhere closer to the front of the car. Because this image is small and the nubs are very difficult to see, I have drawn a green line to indicate where I have placed the two nubs of the gradient tool. In practice, drawing with the gradient tool is in fact much like drawing a line except that you don't get to see the line:

4.jpg

Well that looks cool. To get a better feel for what you have done, you can turn off the bottom layer to see what the top layer looks like:

4b.jpg

As you can see, this tutorial's effect works by removing portions of the top layer in order to let the bottom layer show through. I suppose it is also possible to reverse the roles of the layers (sepia on bottom, normal on top) and achieve this same effect if you drew the gradient in the opposite direction.

You should re-enable the checkbox/visibility for the bottom layer at this point, if you haven't done so already.

Step 6. Now we want to oversaturate the original part of the image. To do this, click on the bottom layer and then duplicate it. Next, set this layer's properties to: Glow blend mode, 118 opacity. Technically you can set it to whatever opacity gives you your desired effect -- I just happened to use 118 for this example.

5.jpg

Voila. Or, as we sometimes say, Q.E.D.! There are other things you can experiment with, such as adding low-saturated noise to the sepia layer (Effects -> Add Noise) that can further refine the "classic" or noire look of that portion of the image.

Result400x300.jpg

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I took this black and white picture, colored it in, and then used the gradient to blend the two, and I really like how it came out. =D It would've taken me forever to figure out the transparent gradient by myself. Thanks!

2uh1tfs.jpg

WOAH... I never knew you could do that with the gradient tool... awesome. Great tutorial, great effect, it will definitely come in handy!

(I thought it took you a long time to make that image Rick, never knew it was so simple!)

HellRiverSig3_stretch.png

• 1 month later...

Wow, I had no idea you could use the gradient tool to get that effect. I've been using the alpha mask to do it, haha. Thanks Rick!

Puteulanus___Jake2k_by_Club_PaintDotNET.png

^Click to visit my Flickr Gallery^

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow. The part on the right looks exactly like an antique photo. Nice one!

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

The goal of this tutorial is to recreate the Classic Camaro image that is on the front page of http://www.getpaint.net . The idea came about to have a classic Camaro and mix in some simple, modern imaging effects so that the image fades from a "classic" look on the left, to an exaggerated modern look on the right.

So we'll be taking this:

Camaro400x300.jpg

and turning it in to this:

Result400x300.jpg

Step 1. Download http://www.getpaint.net/images/Camaro800x600.jpg to get started. (No I will not provide the original 7 megapixel version of the image, however a 1920x1200 version of the edited image which is suitable for desktop wallpaper use is available here: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/43974184/ )

Step 2. Open it in Paint.NET v3.0

step1.jpg

Step 3. Duplicate the background layer (Layers -> Duplicate) and then apply the Sepia adjustment to this new layer (Adjustments -> Sepia)

2.jpg

Step 4. Apply a blur to this layer (Effects -> Blurs -> Gaussian Blur). I used a 2 pixel radius for this.

3.jpg

Step 5. Switch to the Gradient tool, and make sure it is set to: Linear gradient, Transparency Mode, and Normal Blending. These options are in the toolbar right below the buttons for quick actions like New, Open, Save, and Print.

Next, draw a gradient from the rear window of the car to somewhere closer to the front of the car. Because this image is small and the nubs are very difficult to see, I have drawn a green line to indicate where I have placed the two nubs of the gradient tool. In practice, drawing with the gradient tool is in fact much like drawing a line except that you don't get to see the line:

4.jpg

Well that looks cool. To get a better feel for what you have done, you can turn off the bottom layer to see what the top layer looks like:

4b.jpg

As you can see, this tutorial's effect works by removing portions of the top layer in order to let the bottom layer show through. I suppose it is also possible to reverse the roles of the layers (sepia on bottom, normal on top) and achieve this same effect if you drew the gradient in the opposite direction.

You should re-enable the checkbox/visibility for the bottom layer at this point, if you haven't done so already.

Step 6. Now we want to oversaturate the original part of the image. To do this, click on the bottom layer and then duplicate it. Next, set this layer's properties to: Glow blend mode, 118 opacity. Technically you can set it to whatever opacity gives you your desired effect -- I just happened to use 118 for this example.

5.jpg

Voila. Or, as we sometimes say, Q.E.D.! There are other things you can experiment with, such as adding low-saturated noise to the sepia layer (Effects -> Add Noise) that can further refine the "classic" or noire look of that portion of the image.

Result400x300.jpg

OOO Men!!! this Car it's me dream!!CooooooL!!! i so like it!

http://kudapoyti.com.ua

• 4 weeks later...

hmm so what if i were to add a photo and blend it in..

what would i use or how would i get rid of the photo lines that i have used to blend in with another image?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes you do. It's on the toolbar. It looks like this. :GradientTool:

(Well, assuming you have the newest version...which I'm sure you do...)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Make sure you're using the latest version of Paint.NET

( 3.08 )

The gradient tool: :GradientTool:

edit: beaten again!

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

MUAHA!! No one can beat my PdN forum ninja skillz!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Make sure you read the Forum Rules (found in Questions and General Discussion) before you post any further. That particular problem is addressed specifically in the rules. :-) Welcome to the forum anyway, though!