Installation problems solved on non english Vista systems

Greysi

Hi Forum

I also hat the problems to install or run PDN 3.36 on all of my x86 vista machines. All suggestions didn't help for me. I think, I have found the source of the problem and a solution:

All our machines have the German version of Windows Vista SP1 32 Bit (I didn't try with 64 bit until now). For Installation I create the msi-Files first and install them, but the install always hangs during SetupNGen.exe. Killing the installer process makes a lot of problems if you later have to install other applications who use VC90 runtime libraries. You always will get an errror 1935 (MSI exit code 1603), because of a VC90-file in %SystemRoot%\winSXS.

SOLUTION: All seems to work fine, if you install PDN with MSI and add the Property TARGETDIR="%ProgramFiles%\Paint.NET"

msiexec /i "PaintDotNet.x86.msi" TARGETDIR="%ProgramFiles%\Paint.NET" /l*v "%Temp%\PaintDotNet336.log"

REASON: If you do not add this property, the installer of PDN finds C:\Programme\Paint.NET (on a german Vista) as TARGETDIR. Since Vista, this is not a good directory and exist only for compatibility reasons. On XP this Directory is ok.

Hope these informations help you to use this really fantastic tool on non english vista machines.

Greysi

Hi,

I did not come across this error (also have german Vista x86 and had no problems).

Which installer version do you use?

Btw: The "Programme" lirectory is only a link, it does not really exist. You can see the program files directory if you use non-microsoft-installer-files, like e.g. total commander uses.

Hi,

Let me explain:

Target-Systems: Windows Vista Enterprise German incl. SP1 and all published Hotfixes installed. UAC disabled, users have no Admin-Rights. Installation with a Domain-Admin-User and Local-Admin-User tried.

PDN 3.10 was uninstalled and the machine was rebooted befor installing PDN 3.36.

I downloaded PDN 3.36 and created the MSI like the description in http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/en/U ... ation.html for MSI based Installation. I deployed PDN by Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003 with the following command:

msiexec /i \\SMSServer\PackageDepot\PaintDotNet\V3.36\PaintDotNet.x86.msi DESKTOPSHORTCUT=0 CHECKFORUPDATES=0 PROGRAMSGROUP="Paint.Net" ALLUSERS=1 REBOOT=ReallySuppress /l*v "%Temp%\PaintDotNet336.log" /qn

The installation failed with Error 1935. Also if I want to install PDN interactively with the downloaded file or interactively with the createtd MSI, I get this Error.

Info 1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC90.OpenMP,version="9.0.30729.1",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="amd64",type="win32"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80070BC9. assembly interface: IAssemblyCache, function: UninstallAssembly, component: {6A4999AC-73A7-3777-9FBB-FC12EB68FCE8}

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26692

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22302

I checked and tried all suggestions from:

http://blog.getpaint.net/2008/09/09/set ... s-enabled/

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26486

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26692

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26793

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26852

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=854

I also get the same Error 1935 after PDN installation was failed and i wanted to install another Application who uses VC90 assemblies (eg Axis Camera Station 3.0).

Uninstall also didn't work because the uninstall use SetupNgen.exe from the installation. This Exe and also PDNrepair.exe crashed with an empty message box. After removing the CustomActions to SetupNgen.exe entries from the MSI in C:\Windows\Installer, I could uninstall PDN. After that, all others Applications which use VC90 assemblies could be installed without Error 1935.

In the MSI log I found the information, that installer uses C:\Programme\Paint.NET as the installation directory. C:\Programme was the "%ProgramFiles%"-Directory until Windows XP (German versions). In Vista this is only a virtual directory (linked to C:\Program Files\). Perhaps this matches to viewtopic.php?f=10&t=854 Item 7) Paint.NET doesn't like to be "moved" after installation. It hasn't been moved, but C:\Programme\ and C:\Program Files\ is not really the same also if C:\Programme is linked to C:\Program Files.

After I added the Property TARGETDIR="%ProgramFiles%\Paint.NET" to the Msiexec command line the installation runs perfectly and PDN works really fine. Also all other applications who use VC90 assemblies could be installed and work fine.

Hope these informations help.

Greysi